Author Topic: Why do you think Chrono Trigger went with only three party members?  (Read 1653 times)

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
In most traditional RPGs of the time, and even some later ones, four party members was the standard. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest being the best examples.

I've never put much thought into it, but from a developer's perspective, I wonder why they chose to have three party members at a time. The battle system in Chrono Trigger was certainly a bit more ambitious than your standard turn-based battle system, but I don't think that made it impossible to have one more character on the screen. So I believe this was a design choice, not a technical limitation.

Perhaps they felt having four characters present at all times made it more difficult to give everyone something to say in cutscenes, or perhaps they wanted less clutter in battles. What do you guys think?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Why do you think Chrono Trigger went with only three party members?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 04:43:04 pm »
It was because of palette restrictions, and the detailed sprites used by Chrono Trigger.

The Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest SNES games could have multiple party members sharing a palette, but Chrono Trigger party members each used a full unique palette. Since the SNES had a maximum of 8 palettes for sprites, this left five for the NPCs and Enemies in a given area.

The caterpillar walking system and battles on the same screen as the rest of location would add to the palette complication.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 04:50:56 pm »
Really? So a technical limitation after all, interesting!

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 04:58:14 pm »

That's an example of changing Celes's hair in FF6. The sharing of palettes between multiple characters gave some more options. There are also NPCs that share palettes with the PCs. Crono's palette is uniquely Crono.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 08:20:19 pm »
Pallete issues huh. That's an interesting detail.

Personally, I thought it was kinda inspired by Secret of Mana, which also had a three-person party... which likely also had the same situation regarding the palletes, considering things.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 09:19:08 am »
I wonder if they carried that over in Chrono Cross to stay consistent.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 02:51:59 pm »
The first RPGs I played were Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Super Mario RPG. I thought three party members (and only 999 max HP) were the norm.

When I experience FF6 I was taken aback by the huge roster of characters, the four-player party, and the 9999HP max. It wasn't longer after I played FFVII and was relieved to see that it was back to a three-player party, hahaha...

Now I don't care.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 09:11:06 pm »
Hmm, I don't think I ever placed much thought on party-sizes.

The first RPG I played was Golden Sun, which has a four-person party. But around the same time, I also got familiar with the first Kingdom Hearts, which is three-person... and thought not played, I also learned of FFIV and its five-person party...

So yeah, I guess I never really associated a norm with party sizes. I experienced different party sizes to think it was simply whatever they wanted, haha.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 09:55:45 pm »
There is no "standard" party size for a JRPG. Three and four are the most common, but I've encountered everything from one (Dragon Warrior I) to six (most of the Suikodens).

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 02:02:03 am »
Interesting insights itt.

The game itself says that if more than 3 people travel through a gate, you get time-space difficulties which lead you to 'the point of least temporal resistance' aka the end of time. At least they came up with a canon explanation, but I always knew this was a cover-up for technical limitations.

I assumed it had to do with balancing the combat system. Having double and triple techs across 4 characters would've been fun, but also overpowered. Also, if you go through the script, the lines are somewhat similar but fitted to each character, so with 4 characters you might get redundant dialogue.

I think the above reasons, combined with the palette limitations Mauron mentioned, explains why they kept the limit to 3 members. I'm sure the dream team could've worked around one of these issues, but all of them together (combat, dialogue, palettes) were decisive.

Btw, there's a brief scene when you have a party of 4. It's at the end of your first visit to the future, when you first travel to the end of time. They made it work by assigning Robo as a 'follower' to your party, kind of like the cat in the millennial fair.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 02:18:08 am »
As a side note, now I remember why I thought Secret of Mana had to do with it...

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=9933.0

And surprise, it was mentioned here before, heh.