Author Topic: Chrono Trigger iOS  (Read 2368 times)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger iOS
« on: February 20, 2018, 08:27:31 pm »
So if you don't know, you can actually download Chrono Trigger from the app Store. It'll set you back $10 which was no big deal to me. Anyway, I've been playing it and I would just like to say Death Peak is so difficult! Argh! *rips hair out*

Anyway, I just had to share/vent. You guys are the only people who will understand!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger iOS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:18:10 pm »
I've been wanting to get it, just to be able to play it again (would be cheaper than hunting down a DS cartridge, even used). Don't have the money to spare at the moment... and, I'll admit, getting the Dragon Quest games is more of a priority for me.  :oops:

Still, one of these days...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:13:48 am »
I picked it up back in August just to show support for the Chrono series. I have yet to play it, hahaha... Whoops!

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:58:24 pm »
I actually picked it up when it first came out in 2011 I think it was and I'm just playing it NOW! Ha ha ha! I did get through Death Peak, just made some adjustments (walking instead of running actually) and I had no issues! So that's a tip for when you get around to playing!

P.S. I have a secret. I've been playing it on my phone at work. *giggles*

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:36:15 pm »
So, anything of note about it? I'd think it would match the closest with the DS version, but I would think it still has its differences.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 07:48:24 pm »
Yes. You have to tap and use your fingers to move. On parts where you need to enter a code (example: the room to get to the supercomputer in 2300 AD) you press on colored buttons on the screen.  On Death Peak when you are trying to cross the slippery part, walk, don't run. It makes it a lot easier. I haven't tried this when having to hide behind the trees though, I will next time! I'm still not completely used to the controls but way better than I was when I got started.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 08:06:35 pm »
The similarities/differences:
  • It uses the DS translation. (YMMV on whether that's a good thing or not.)
  • It includes the Lost Sanctum and Dimensional Vortices, but not the Arena of the Ages. (Again, YMMV on the quality of those things.)
  • Things that required specific button presses (like Norstein Bekkler's 40-point game, the Zabie lock, and Taban's machine) have those inputs replaced with on-screen buttons. (This was a necessary change, but it's still kind of off-putting.)
  • It lacks the Playstation/DS bonus features. (Inexcusable.)
  • It uses a sharp font which makes the slightly blurry graphics even more noticeable. (I don't know if there were technical reasons that made this necessary, but it's ugly as sin.)
  • I've heard of, but haven't personally experienced, a bug that can cause you to lose techs. I'm unclear on what causes it (I think it has something to do the game not being updated to newer versions of iOS) and whether you can regain them or if they're permanently lost.
But the biggest difference is the absolutely horrendous controls. You'll sort of learn to tolerate them after about a half-hour or so, but they'll never stop being frustrating. Especially when you get to Death Peak. Expect to fall off the first screen a lot.

All in all, this is BY FAR the worst version of Chrono Trigger. Save your money. If you've already bought it, save yourself some frustration and play it only if you're suffering from CT withdrawals and have no other options available.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:37:50 pm by Razig »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 11:03:34 pm »
Well, as you mentioned, YMMV, but outside the blurry thing and the posible bug (if I ever get it, it'd be the android port, so no idea if those issues would also be there as in the iOS), that sounds like the best version for me.

I like the DS script, didn't found that tedious the Lost Sanctum or the Vortexes, don't mind the Arena isn't there, the controls/buttons thing is a non-issue (already played the first three DQ games on mobile, so I'm used to the controls by now), and I don't find it a big loss the bonus features. Like, things like the in-game encyclopedia? Not something I'd need to check in-game. Can just use the Compendium here. The anime cutscenes? Outside the Fall of Guardia one, it's nothing really new, they were in-game scenes animated scene by scene, as it were. I have Youtube if I really wanted tosee them.

So yeah, and being at 195 MXN (a little over 10 USD, at current exchange rates), it's not a bad bargain, I'd say.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 02:17:18 am »
DS Version>iOS Version

Just saying in case you are only going to play one. But the $10 USD is money well spent for the iOS version, since it shows continued interest in the franchise.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 06:42:49 pm »
I just finished this and there was no Lost Sanctum at all. The Dimensional Vortexes I got, but no Lost Sanctum. You guys that are saying there is a Lost Santum, did you finish the game or read it somewhere? I'm not being rude or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

I've enjoyed it personally. I mean a way to play my favorite game of all time on my phone? Yes please! However I do also recognize I have more patience than most. LOL

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 07:35:59 pm »
I just finished this and there was no Lost Sanctum at all. The Dimensional Vortexes I got, but no Lost Sanctum. You guys that are saying there is a Lost Santum, did you finish the game or read it somewhere? I'm not being rude or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

I've enjoyed it personally. I mean a way to play my favorite game of all time on my phone? Yes please! However I do also recognize I have more patience than most. LOL

Really? Because this playthrough of the mobile version has the vortexes showing up as normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ZizMA_wiY&index=38&list=PLPgiqPYvvrcGTFFPJnbqGVUtoAOHnu6Lm&t=20m

Are you sure they weren't there?

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 08:36:05 pm »
Well now I'm going to have to double check but I felt positive that they weren't. I'm grinding right now, but when I defeat the Omen for a second time I'll take another look! But the game never went through that cutscene where the Lost Sanctum is shown. Now I did get the Dimensional Vortexes, but not the Sanctum. I'll definitely double check and let you know.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 02:01:49 am »
So, did the vortexes did not appeared either? I'm sure you can check if the vortexes are there or not even if the cutscene didn't appeared. Still, I'm finding it strange since the LS is in the mobile port...

Maybe you encountered a bug... or something. You don't have a save before the Black Wing segment or something to recheck?

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 12:43:49 pm »
I checked last night and sure, they were there! I know I never saw the cutscene (I'm definitely going to have to do a new game + now!) That is just SO WEIRD! The only thing I can think of that could have happened is if I saw the cutscene right before falling alseep one of the nights I'd been playing it, I may have forgotten I'd seen it. I take something to help me sleep, so that has happened before. I'm really glad you said something, because I was actually disappointed it wasn't there! Thank you!