Author Topic: Slash & Flea question  (Read 1746 times)

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
Slash & Flea question
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:29:04 pm »
This is probably my last question!

So, I want to make a very simple scene where Slash and Flea are both on screen.  However... any time I put these two together on the screen, I get a pink screen of death upon loading the map.

The game will let me have two Slashes, two Fleas, or just about any other combination of PCs, NPCS or enemies. But it won't let me have these two on screen together.  Pink screen very time.

Tried all the different versions of these enemies. Tried creating NPC versions of them. Tried every combination there is. Nada.

Any ideas?

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Slash & Flea question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:48:01 pm »
Check the map in Ozzie’s fort where they are together, re create those conditions?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:59:48 pm »
Is there much else on the screen? Too many palettes can cause a problem.

I got them on screen together in Crono's Room. I had to set Slash's enemy index to 6 for him to work right.

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:20:48 pm »
It's not a matter of conditions, but it may be a matter of palettes.

I'll just tell you what this is. It's for Queen Zeal's throne room at the Black Omen. The six pillars of light hold different sprites depending on who is the lead character when you enter the room.

Everyone's works great except Magus. I want the bottom two to be Slash and Flea, that's when I get the crash.

The characters who load for Magus are:
  • Schala
  • Queen Zeal
  • Frog
  • Ozzie
  • Flea
  • Slash

Could this be palette overload? Didn't think of that since the other six all have a varied group of sprites as well, but they all load properly.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:57 pm »
You can have a total of 8 palettes for sprites in a scene, but more sprites if they share a palette.

At minimum, you'll have 3 for the party members and the boss Zeal. What happens if you go in with Frog in your party?

You could probably use Janus in place of Frog to fix the issue.

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 05:11:01 pm »
Thanks, Mauron.  It was just palette overload.  If I omit any of the other sprites that appear for Magus, or double any one of them up, it allows me to have both Slash and Flea appear.

It won't be difficult to resolve who should go where now that I know what the problem is.

Thanks again! Almost ready to release this sucker!