Author Topic: "And the wind began to howl..."  (Read 3274 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
"And the wind began to howl..."
« on: January 21, 2018, 03:47:20 pm »
It's apparently the anniversary of when Jimi Hendrix recorded his version of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower, which ends with that, "And the wind began to howl" and also includes a bit that goes, "Princes kept the view". What with Ted Woosley putting in rockstars Flea & Slash, I wonder if the famous Black Wind quotes weren't at least partially inspired by Dylan....

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: "And the wind began to howl..."
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 01:54:33 am »
 :?
Intresting... maybe is at goal maybe it cam it?
Anyway, who cares?

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
Re: "And the wind began to howl..."
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:54:51 am »
I can picture it. I mean the original name of the fiends were obviously meant to be a joke, so the american names were at least somewhat better, like if you didn't know who they were. Even if you did, consider the people who played CT when it came out, if you had a game and you see Magus and his henchmen were called mayonaise and you think, oh maybe this isn't a real scene? I mean the aloofness of Ozzie worked either way, and given how Ozzy turned during his TV show proves he was sort of spot on.

Didn't he ask for like 3 months and was given 1 month for translation? Maybe it was just so rushed that he had to throw in this and that and of course for japanese lines or puns that didn't translate directly, he picked some better wording. Or it was simply time constraint.
Like there is this anime called Lucky Star. In it there is a clever/nerdy girl whos making jokes about these twin girls. In one translation that was official, its translated as fraternal and identical twins. That works but if you understood the context, and with the fansubs, its subbed as 'one-egg or two-egg' twins. And then she goes onto a joke about that and sausage making a breakfast, her friend scolding her saying no one mentioned food. That was a pun, and the fansubs (people with lots of free time) got the joke and picked the words to make it work. But the subs that were under a time and money budget maybe didn't have time to get a totally fluent person to double check and be like "oh no this word can mean 3 things when you translate, but use this one because that's how it works on this joke here."

So maybe in Japanese, the original lines could have been tied to a cultural reference, something the Japanese people understood, and where he couldn't correlate in America, Woolsey picked another line that rock music fans might also get. Like if you knew who Ozzie and Slash were, odds are you knew who Hendrix was and you might have identified that line.