Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Age++
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 09:02:46 pm »
I got asked that a lot too. I never had a good answer, since my birthday was always close to Christmas and I was an only child.

I finally learned the answer recently: I did, but my parents got me extra stuff in the summer to make up for it.

It was a useful bargaining chip at times!

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 07:53:32 pm »
It's a nice one to have IMO, if you want something expensive. It's worked for me a few times!

I have a snotty younger brother, his birthday is in September. No bargaining chip for you!!  :lol:

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 08:06:09 pm »
I think I might have used it on an N64 one year.

It serves him right for being so snotty. :P

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 07:11:19 pm »
I know I used it to get a DS one year. LOL

Damn right serves him right! Ha ha ha ha!

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 07:27:26 pm »
By the time I got a DS they weren't super pricey anymore.

My Vita was just an ordinary Christmas gift, I think.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 10:45:04 am »
Not to change the subject, but I freaking love my PSP. I have the 3000 and still use it for a lot of 32-bit era and below emulation. NES/SNES, GB/GBA/ PSX, etc. On top of PSP games.

I've been trying to get through the first Persona game (the PSP version) and it's pretty hard to get into, lol... I hear great things about the series and hear that it doesn't really pick up until the third one, but damn, the first one is a challenge to sink my teeth into.

I've taken a break and been replaying LoZ: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on the 3DS, haha...

I also just modded Mass Effect Andromeda to give that a playthrough. I loved the first three, preordered Andromeda, but never ended up played it (I normally try to wait a few months for patches and bugfixes to be implemented). I've been tempted to buy FFXII: Zodiac Age, but decided to hold tight for FFXV: Windows Edition... granted, I have very little time for video games anyways, these days!

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 01:54:41 pm »
I use my PSP on occasion. I'll play through the first Persona one of these days. I started with Persona 4 Golden, then played 3 and and 5 when it came out. Currently I'm in the middle of Persona 4: Dancing All Night.

They're not essential to play in order, but they do make references that are easier to understand if you've played the previous games.

I've never gotten very far in Majora's Mask. The time limit thing didn't particularly help.

Haven't touched Mass Effect, and gave up on FFXII. I haven't gotten to any of the newer ones.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 07:10:23 pm »
I've never tried a PSP. I'm a Nintendork. Ha ha! I have had my 3DS for quite awhile though and it still works great! I wouldn't mind a new one, but if I was going to drop money on something like that right now, I'd rather buy a Switch.

Is it weird I've never gotten into Final Fantasy? Maybe I just haven't tried the right one, it seems there are millions of those games. Ha ha!

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 07:21:05 pm »
I haven't gotten anything newer than a DS or Wii.

Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 09:26:27 am »
Nintendorks unite!

Majora's mask is definitely worth spending more time on. The time limit does take a while to get used to. Once you learn how to manipulate the time by slowing it down and speeding it up, it gets more exciting. Don't give up on it!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2018, 11:11:31 am »
Yeah, even though there's a time limit, it's not really inhibiting and it's actually a fun gameplay gimmick. I wouldn't want it for every Zelda game, but for a one-off with such a unique world/feeling.

It's sort of like Groundhog Day -- it's a three day time loop with the world ending at the end of the three days. Every single NPC has a set routine for those three days and most have an accompanying quest that you can gradually uncover over the course of those three days. There's a lot of overlap in quests, too.

That all being said, the first time I played it, I was really frustrated with the time limits imposed. The three days goes quick -- I think the entire three days takes 36 minutes. But once I discovered the Inverted Song of Time, you can slow time's flow down to like 1/4 of that, which makes the three days over two hours per cycle.

For example, I just did the first dungeon in about an in-game day, and that's with finding all of the stray fairies hidden around the dungeon. But I think frustrations with the game are valid -- in many ways it doesn't feel like a Zelda game. The tone, look, and concept is so incredibly different from normal Zelda games.

Also, good to know about Persona references. That helps motivate me to keep playing, even if minimal. Those kind of rewards help invest me with playing through multiple games in a series.

Cherenkov

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 12:30:17 pm »
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS IS MY JAM

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2018, 02:07:35 pm »
Maybe I'll try it again. I think the last time I tried it I stopped because of a vacation. At the moment I'll probably pick up the Persona 3 extra story from FES next.

I know for example, there's a part in 4 where your school goes on a trip to another town, and if you've played 3, you'll recognize the place as where you lived in that game.

I recommend Persona 3 FES over the original and Portable, and Persona 4 Golden over the original Persona 4.

I recommend the original Final Fantasy Tactics over War of the Lions. Even if they had translation issue, having everyone speak Ye Olde English was just weird.

Cherenkov

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2018, 02:20:35 pm »
I only ever played the original Japanese PS1 version of FFT, but it is one of my favorite games of all time, hands down. The game system, the story, the music, it's all just so good.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2018, 02:39:47 pm »
The translation of that had things like l i t t l e m o n e y, I got a good feeling!, and I guess we must fight! EAAAGH!

I have heard that the Blaze Gun shooting Ice was a Japanese issue.