Poll

How did you like the Crimson Echoes demo?

It was wonderful; good job!
7 (29.2%)
The new music wasn't very good.
3 (12.5%)
The NPC dialogue was confusing.
5 (20.8%)
It was too short.
8 (33.3%)
I wanted to see more new areas, not same old Truce.
1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: August 27, 2005, 02:56:40 pm

Author Topic: How did you like the Crimson Echoes demo?  (Read 5873 times)

Aplateofsashimi

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 01:56:13 am »
I Liked

In the past I tried my own run trough time flux, so I know how hard and frustrating it can be, but thanks to that I can see the work put into this, it musn't have been easy to do. the new facesets, the new areas, I like them not because of they beign new, but because the effort to put them on the rom.

My only complain is the end of the demo, it doens make much sense, it felt so random and rushed  that the time egg activated and sent them to the future,  I asume it was planned as a sort of  dejavu thing, y' know, basically  the incident with the teleporter was repeating, but it feels as if there werent not much tought put into it as with the rest of the plot, I myself could think of a lot of alternative ways to send the characters trough time, and I am a terrible writer.

Great dialogues by the way, I love the way they stay true to the game, they are short and fast, as they are suposed to be on CT, except fot the Melchior dialogue, that was just too messed up, one complain to the writers on this: I you dont know the scientific facts on something, or if that something doesnt have scientific facts to start with, dont write as if you know those, it doesnt work!  

The magus lines... they were good, Magus has always been the most misterious guy of the games, he doesnt say much, trying to stay true to his character must have been hard, but you managed pretty well. Frog  in the other hand, its accent was too exagerated.

Also, I am worried on the plot, the demo seemed too focused  on the porre uprising,  that was good, it conects CT and CC pretty well, but its just that, for a project like Crimson Echoes, I would like something diferent, a major quest, not just a story to connect CT and CC, I hope later things get more interesting. Also dont overuse details like the chat with Norris,  I liked Chrono Cross, but not as much as to be remembered about it every time, this is a game about Chrono Trigger, not a game about Chrono Cross, so stay true to that, I know there is people who would want this game to link CT and CC, but I simply dont care about something like that, what I want is an experience to remember Crono Trigger as what it was, the Crono Trigger I love, before things started to get messy with Cross.

Ah, just to finish,  there are many complaints about the  Millenial fair and how empty it was, but I like it this way, its empty simply because there is nothing to see, there is no celebration and simply the place no longer has any use, adding merchants or wathever would break that mood.  The statues were one of the things I liked most of the demo.

Cant you just erase the Guardia forest? the area doesnt seem to have any use, why not simply altering some map exits so entering Guardia forest automatically sends you in front of guardia castle, I dont know if that is posible but it would be kinda cool,  and you could use the space Guardia forest takes on the rom for more new areas.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 05:04:25 am »
What? I thought that CE was going to connect the two games more solidly...I mean, CE is just like "the sequal that never was", which takes place inbetween CT & CC...

fxar99

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Oh how I wish to dream again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 07:44:04 pm »
I voted that the music was terrible. Please, restore it as it was. The music of Chrono Trigger is the best music I've ever listened to and when I played CE, I had turn the sound off, because I couldn't even hear that noise  :cry:

By the way, the dialogues don't have the Chrono Trigger style I expected. I don't know why, but the original had something different in the style. Perhaps you have to find that something and put it in CE.

The ending of the demo was nice, promising. I'll play it again to see that ending  :wink:

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 09:58:54 pm »
I thought the music was kinda good. I felt that it stayed true to the original game.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 10:33:22 pm »
Wouldn't using CT's music be kind of...I don't know...kind of redundant? Seeing how this isn't CT? I mean, new game=new music makes sense to me...

ivanthem

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 04:03:51 am »
Great demo, would've liked to see subtle hints of integration/plot links with Chrono Cross, though (apart from the Porre/Truce conflict). The meeting with the representatives was a little cheesy IMO, something more formal might've been more appropriate. Great demo nevertheless, thanks for giving us the chance to play it and I look forward to the end result!

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 06:01:26 pm »
Quote from: ivanthem
Great demo, would've liked to see subtle hints of integration/plot links with Chrono Cross, though (apart from the Porre/Truce conflict). The meeting with the representatives was a little cheesy IMO, something more formal might've been more appropriate. Great demo nevertheless, thanks for giving us the chance to play it and I look forward to the end result!

I thought the "cheesiness" stuck well to the original CT feel, but that's just me.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 08:10:45 pm »
There's a line, Kazuki...there's a line! :lol:

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 09:03:15 pm »
Quote from: Aplateofsashimi
I Liked

In the past I tried my own run trough time flux, so I know how hard and frustrating it can be, but thanks to that I can see the work put into this, it musn't have been easy to do. the new facesets, the new areas, I like them not because of they beign new, but because the effort to put them on the rom.

I am also trying to use Temperal Flux but to no success. Keeps crashing. :roll:

Quote from: Aplateofsashimi also
My only complain is the end of the demo, it doens make much sense, it felt so random and rushed  that the time egg activated and sent them to the future,  I asume it was planned as a sort of  dejavu thing, y' know, basically  the incident with the teleporter was repeating, but it feels as if there werent not much tought put into it as with the rest of the plot, I myself could think of a lot of alternative ways to send the characters trough time, and I am a terrible writer.

It was just to end the demo, hopefully it will turn out better.

Great dialogues by the way, I love the way they stay true to the game, they are short and fast, as they are suposed to be on CT, except fot the Melchior dialogue, that was just too messed up, one complain to the writers on this: I you dont know the scientific facts on something, or if that something doesnt have scientific facts to start with, dont write as if you know those, it doesnt work!  

The magus lines... they were good, Magus has always been the most misterious guy of the games, he doesnt say much, trying to stay true to his character must have been hard, but you managed pretty well. Frog  in the other hand, its accent was too exagerated.

nothing to say here. :lol:

Also, I am worried on the plot, the demo seemed too focused  on the porre uprising,  that was good, it conects CT and CC pretty well, but its just that, for a project like Crimson Echoes, I would like something diferent, a major quest, not just a story to connect CT and CC, I hope later things get more interesting. Also dont overuse details like the chat with Norris,  I liked Chrono Cross, but not as much as to be remembered about it every time, this is a game about Chrono Trigger, not a game about Chrono Cross, so stay true to that, I know there is people who would want this game to link CT and CC, but I simply dont care about something like that, what I want is an experience to remember Crono Trigger as what it was, the Crono Trigger I love, before things started to get messy with Cross.

as I've said before, this is just a demo, we don't know the rest of the story. That is just what is happening in the present era.

Ah, just to finish,  there are many complaints about the  Millenial fair and how empty it was, but I like it this way, its empty simply because there is nothing to see, there is no celebration and simply the place no longer has any use, adding merchants or wathever would break that mood.  The statues were one of the things I liked most of the demo.

In my opinion, some of the statues were kinda funky looking...(but I've said that already.)

Cant you just erase the Guardia forest? the area doesnt seem to have any use, why not simply altering some map exits so entering Guardia forest automatically sends you in front of guardia castle, I dont know if that is posible but it would be kinda cool,  and you could use the space Guardia forest takes on the rom for more new areas.

He blocked it off just beacuse he didn't want us to go into the unfinished areas. It'll probably be accecible in the full game. Along with Choras.

*sigh*There, that's my 2 cents...

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 09:10:33 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
There's a line, Kazuki...there's a line! :lol:

:twisted:

Leviticus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 02:01:29 pm »
I agree that Glenn's speech was a little TOO much. He definitely didn't use that much old english in CT. Magus was pretty good tho. I don't really know why you showed Kino in a suicide attempt tho... That just doesn't seem right... I can't wait to see the new future, tho. It'll be sweet. Also, I think it would make more sense to have a ferry animation, but the demo was fine. At first, I didn't like the new music, but now I think it's actually pretty good, except for the satheral music. The organ just sounds terrible. Anyway, Crimson Echoes looks freakin' sweet, and I hope it doesn't die out like most fan peojects seem to...

eternal_magus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://zorinth.net
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2005, 12:31:42 am »
Hmm...

I just played the demo, I liked it quite a bit. The modifications to the world map were great and I liked the kind of creepy feeling you get when you go into the restored cathedral (first thing I did when I went there was walk up to the organ and prss A  :lol: )

The story seems good so far, although as someone said earlier, the part where the time thing just goes off seemed a bit rushed.

I haven't played  Chrono Cross so I don't know how well it ties in and stuff.

I found a few bugs:

-The Card and the Pie stay in your inventory after you've given them away, but not the Red Katana

-In some of the scenes where NPCs leave the room in cutscenes and stuff they sometimes overlap walls

-The rest were just passability and overlapping tile errors I found like one of the benches in the cathedral lets you stand on top of the top of it and stuff. Also I don't think you should be able to walk over the rock at the Medina peninsula, I think it should be a location or something

I liked the ending bit where you see some of the different characters doing things, especially Magus yay! Where did you get those Glenn sprites though? I don't remember him ever looking like that, is it a modification?

I liked the music too, although it's a shame TF doesn't let you add your own creations.

All in all I would give it a 8.5/10 as a demo, great work!

By the way, do you need beta-testers? I'm quite good at finding bugs and things if you need anyone (although I highly doubt you do at this stage)

fxar99

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Oh how I wish to dream again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2005, 09:58:31 am »
Another bug is that the letters in some dialogs are cut. Also, remember that in Chrono Trigger, there wasn't any character that started a sentence in a box and continued it in another. It looks bad and it can be corrected. Another thing you must care about is that the message boxes should appear in a place where they don't hide the character who is talking.

-----

I just saw that you have copied one the building of an island in Zeal to another. What could it be?  :wink:

-----

Quote from: eternal_magus
Where did you get those Glenn sprites though? I don't remember him ever looking like that, is it a modification?

This sprite exists in the game. It's NPC {CB} Human Glenn {ending cutscene}.