Author Topic: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album  (Read 50906 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2018, 02:23:49 am »
Very nice! I like how you've not only played with the pacing (sped it up), but you toyed with the speed of the notes, too. In certain places there are longer pauses then the original version, with other notes happening faster in their appropriate measure(s). I dunno what that's called from a music standpoint. All in all, it's a nice interpretation that takes take away from the original, and it definitely puts a unique spin on the tune (which is one of my favorites from the game).

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2018, 03:14:18 am »
I'm glad you like it! I wanted to give it a little breath of life, more of a hopeful vibe, while trying to preserve what makes the original so great. My program plays the rhythms pretty strictly,  so it accentuates the quick changes.  It would likely sound more like the original with live players.

The idea is to continue to build on the track, layering in Schala's theme,  and maybe a few others ultimately climaxing with sweeping string lines, then quieting down until it ends. I really wanted to touch on Kids backstory and her character with this track.  The sensitive, scared girl hidden behind the rough exterior.

We'll see if it plays out that way.  Haha sometimes they take completely unexpected paths!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2018, 01:49:43 am »
Alright Boo, I just posted an extended look at track 13.  Since this is your favorite song I want to hear your thoughts!  I love the direction this track is going, and I think it captures the essence of the original quite well, though it might be a little more romantic then some would care for. haha

What do you think?

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPaulHaywardMusic/videos/2150005555275446/

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2018, 02:54:44 am »
Okay, so all I can say is... I got goosebumps at 0:42. That big build with the strings (and later the brass) was phenomenal. No lie, I got goosebumps from it.

So mission accomplished.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2018, 03:46:25 pm »
Okay, so all I can say is... I got goosebumps at 0:42. That big build with the strings (and later the brass) was phenomenal. No lie, I got goosebumps from it.

So mission accomplished.

You made my whole day! When someone gets goosebumps I know I've done something right!  I'm taking the weekend off to do some family stuff, but then I'll be back at it on Sunday night/Monday.  Hopefully I can keep the momentum going through the end of the track.  The end is so close I can taste it, this is the hard part for me.  When it's this close to being finished it's so easy to rush things, so your and the communities feedback will be more important then ever for these last few tracks!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2018, 08:20:49 pm »
Slightly off topic, but I have a question Boo...

I'm behind in my Cross Symphonic writing due to the holidays, but I still want to enter/contribute to the Dream Splash competition.  Would it be acceptable to enter the Kid/Schala track I'm working on now?  I was thinking about it last night, and when I think of Zeal I ultimately think about Schala, and her struggle to combat her mother who is obviously being effected by Lavos. I think the track represents her conflict, as well as it's resolution through Kid.

Edit: I posted a new clip tonight! As always, thoughts and comments are welcome!

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPaulHaywardMusic/videos/2155204804755521/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:26:09 am by CptOvaltine »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2018, 10:06:34 am »
I'm behind in my Cross Symphonic writing due to the holidays, but I still want to enter/contribute to the Dream Splash competition.  Would it be acceptable to enter the Kid/Schala track I'm working on now? 

Totally acceptable.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPaulHaywardMusic/videos/2155204804755521/

Wow, that's really big. I didn't expect it to get that epic in scope, and I really like it. I caught half a dozen other themes also making an appearance. It sounded great!

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2018, 11:02:34 am »
 I've been following this thread on and off for a while and love this concept. Since I am rarely at my physical PC, where I would listen to this), I am waiting until the finale to listen to this as one final masterpiece. Please post up the link the album when you finish. I'm pretty excited to hear what you've been up to.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2018, 04:29:29 pm »
I've been following this thread on and off for a while and love this concept. Since I am rarely at my physical PC, where I would listen to this), I am waiting until the finale to listen to this as one final masterpiece. Please post up the link the album when you finish. I'm pretty excited to hear what you've been up to.

Thanks for dropping in! I will totally keep everyone up-to-date, as well as edit the first post with links and the like when the time comes!  There is going to be a fundraising portion in the near future that will help determine the scope of this whole thing. There's even the possibility or recording this with a live orchestra if we can hit a huge funding goal!

In any case, I really appreciate you taking an interest in my work! :)

Totally acceptable.

Awesome!  Then I will happily enter this once it's done!

Wow, that's really big. I didn't expect it to get that epic in scope, and I really like it. I caught half a dozen other themes also making an appearance. It sounded great!

I had always intended for this to continue to grow, though I'm not sure I imagined this much drama, though the more I write, the more it feels right for this track.  Kid has an incredibly rough and complicated past.  I mean, being raised in an orphanage, and then watching the women that raised you murdered as well as your home burn down with everyone you knew inside has got to screw a person up.

To me this track really embodies Kid, it starts off showing you what she exudes externally. A bit rough, and carefree, and then slowly peels away the layers revealing the pain and sorrow she bottles up. Through it all you realize that she copes with it all through grit and determination, both for revenge, and to protect those that she loves.

At least that's how I see it.  I know most people will have their own take on these, which is great!  If I can bring out some sort of emotion in people then I consider this a success!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2018, 07:20:39 pm »
I had always intended for this to continue to grow, though I'm not sure I imagined this much drama, though the more I write, the more it feels right for this track.  Kid has an incredibly rough and complicated past.  I mean, being raised in an orphanage, and then watching the women that raised you murdered as well as your home burn down with everyone you knew inside has got to screw a person up.

To me this track really embodies Kid, it starts off showing you what she exudes externally. A bit rough, and carefree, and then slowly peels away the layers revealing the pain and sorrow she bottles up. Through it all you realize that she copes with it all through grit and determination, both for revenge, and to protect those that she loves.

I can totally get your interpretation and agree with it.

One can argue whether or not Kid = Schala, but regardless, she is pivotal to the game and adding more fanfare feels really fitting. Not only for all the things she reflects, nor how she's grown from her experiences, but all that is also underlined by the fact that she, you know, is a daughter-clone-something created by/from Schala herself.

After typing this out, I needed to go back and listen to what all I could catch, and I needed to double check that Schala's Theme made it in there. Sorry that I couldn't remember!!!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2018, 07:38:58 pm »
can totally get your interpretation and agree with it.

One can argue whether or not Kid = Schala, but regardless, she is pivotal to the game and adding more fanfare feels really fitting. Not only for all the things she reflects, nor how she's grown from her experiences, but all that is also underlined by the fact that she, you know, is a daughter-clone-something created by/from Schala herself.

After typing this out, I needed to go back and listen to what all I could catch, and I needed to double check that Schala's Theme made it in there. Sorry that I couldn't remember!!!

Haha no worries! There's a lot going on in that minute clip.

In my opinion, while Kid is a clone of Schala they are still separate entities.  I'm not positive that the game treats them that way, but to me a person is defined by their actions and experiences, not their genetics. A perfect example is that Kid has an accent and Schala doesn't.  Maybe I'm reading to much into a design choice, but that to me is evidence that the different experiences have shaped both characters uniquely.

I wanted to draw the undeniable connection to the two with the music, but unlike a lot of arrangements, I wanted this one to portray Kid as an individual, (which is ultimately how I see her) hinting at elements of Schala rather than the other way around. Like you said, it seemed to fit her character to continue to build into this epic, emotional track. Given the chance to work specifically with Schala's theme (maybe in a Trigger album???) I'm not sure I would take the same approach. Schala is gentle soul, and I think her music would/does reflect that.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2018, 12:26:05 am »
Here's the full track preview!  This is "The Orphan Dreamer"  I would love to hear what you guys think!

https://youtu.be/9ThFlfD8S8I

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2018, 02:39:39 am »
Just listened to the whole tune. It sounds AWESOME!

Can't wait for the final album. :)

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:39 am »
Just listened to the whole tune. It sounds AWESOME!

Can't wait for the final album. :)

Thanks Boo! I'm happy with how it turned out! I thought working in the 3 main themes at the end was a nice foreshadowing of the connection everything has with each other.

Anyway, 2 story tracks and 2 bonus tracks to go!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:44 pm »
Oh man!

More to go than I thought. Four more tracks? I would have guessed one or two. Good news for the listeners, bad for you doing the actual work, hahaha