Author Topic: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album  (Read 50570 times)

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2018, 08:46:39 pm »
Do you have any recurring themes that play a significant role throughout the album? I'd imagine the Frozen Flame, Kid's theme, or even the Lynx's theme you mentioned would be one of them.

I use several recurring themes, most notable would be Kids (and Schala's) theme, the opening of Scars of Time, the theme I wrote for Lynx, and the "Dragon Knight" theme, which I am mostly using as Radius' theme.

There are other themes peppered throughout that have recurrences, but these are the only ones that carry through a majority of the album.  I do use orchestration references to other tracks ALL over the place, like using the repeating string pattern from Scars of Time (when it breaks into the rhythm section) for example. So if you listen closely you'll hear elements of the original tracks spread all over my arrangements.

Oddly enough I never thought to reference the Frozen Flame theme, although that would have made sense! haha
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:50:04 pm by CptOvaltine »

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2018, 03:45:17 pm »
That is the plan, though it's hard to calculate what I'll actually need until I'm finished with the album, or really close.  I'm on track to be finished by the end of July, which means I need to start thinking about licensing, mixing and mastering, distribution (assuming people are even interested in physical albums) etc. I will be sure to let you all know what's going on once it's all ready!

Definitely keep us posted! Please put this on iTunes!!!  :D

Haha I wish I were that clever...and that this was the first time my fingers have been faster than my brain... :D

:lol: :lol:

Oh, that's cool!  I sing in two professional choirs now!  I've been singing in choirs since elementary school, then was introduced to a composer/conductor in college who is a big part why I decided to pursue composing rather than performance! I still sing in his choirs today. :)

I actually started in choir in elementary school myself! I really miss being in a choir actually. We had so much fun, and I was in one up until I graduated from high school! Just now, my voice is so... bleh.  :(

Thank you so much! Marketing and getting the word out is by far the hardest part of all of this for me!  So any help is greatly appreciated!

I will help any way I can!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:49:05 pm by PrincessNadia78 »

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2018, 07:46:30 pm »
Definitely keep us posted! Please put this on iTunes!!!  :D

My goal is to get it onto every digital store and streaming service! Whether this happens or not will completely depend on licensing costs, and if I can successfully raise the money! haha

I actually started in choir in elementary school myself! I really miss being in a choir actually. We had so much fun, and I was in one up until I graduated from high school! Just now, my voice is so... bleh.  :(

I think all of us singers feel the same way! I'm sure it's much better then you think it is!

I will help any way I can!

I really appreciate it!  Thank you!! :D

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2018, 02:37:31 am »
So...this track didn't turn out AT ALL how I intended...

This is a very different take on the Frozen Flame theme.  I've also mixed in my Lynx theme. I'm planning to work in elements from the battle music with FATE as well as a few other tracks.  I'm interested to hear what you guys think of this!  Is it to off the beaten path?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkRcVHLH0pB/?taken-by=brokenskyproductions

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2018, 03:33:30 pm »
I forgot to listen to this all weekend!!  :o Is it still up? I would like to listen to it after work!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2018, 03:36:33 pm »
No worries!  It's just an Instagram post, so it's still there. :) 

I'm still writing it too...these types of pieces take FOREVER to write!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2018, 05:34:05 pm »
Sounds great. Nothing in particular to point out.

Also, I assume you have kickass speakers. The quality of that recording was awesome.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2018, 07:17:37 pm »
Sounds great. Nothing in particular to point out.

Also, I assume you have kickass speakers. The quality of that recording was awesome.

Not too weird?  I had someone tell me it barely resembles the original...which is true, but they didn't mean it as a compliment...

I was fortunate enough to find a very nice pair of Dynaudio (a studio brand if you aren't familiar) 12'' speakers for an awesome price a few years ago!  They are amazing!  I know that my stuff doesn't actually sound that great on most people speakers/headphones...that's a product of my poor mastering skills.  One of the many reasons that I want to have all of these tracks mastered for release once I'm finished.  That should really make everything shine on most speaker systems.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2018, 04:10:32 pm »
Not too weird?  I had someone tell me it barely resembles the original...which is true, but they didn't mean it as a compliment...

I had to listen to it again without the video. The video walks through the events and times perfectly to the video you were watching, so it seemed like it fit just fine.

I do agree that it sounds/feels wholly different from the original theme, but that can be chalked up the fact that the two have very different tones. The Chrono Cross version is fairly mysterious and subdued in harps and more delicate instruments. Your version is quicker (or feels quicker) and is larger and more boisterous, with brass and fanfare.

I get what the other(s) were saying in that it sounds very different, almost unrecognizable. I don't think they're wrong in that. But I don't think your rendition is bad or wrong, in fact, it's almost more fitting concerning the events that transpire: having reached the depths of Chronopolis, a confrontation with the heart of Project Kid in the Frozen Flame, and a final confrontation with Lynx/FATE. A lot all at once and worthy of brassy fanfare.

If you don't feel confident in the vision you've laid out, you could always merge the two styles. Start loud and brassy and turn to more quiet and harpsical or vice versa. Or utilize the original as some sort of middle transition or something.

Either way, this version has my blessing. I view this as your interpretation through and through, and I am the first to say that any deviation is definitely NOT a bad thing.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2018, 02:21:24 pm »

I had to listen to it again without the video. The video walks through the events and times perfectly to the video you were watching, so it seemed like it fit just fine.

I do agree that it sounds/feels wholly different from the original theme, but that can be chalked up the fact that the two have very different tones. The Chrono Cross version is fairly mysterious and subdued in harps and more delicate instruments. Your version is quicker (or feels quicker) and is larger and more boisterous, with brass and fanfare.

I get what the other(s) were saying in that it sounds very different, almost unrecognizable. I don't think they're wrong in that. But I don't think your rendition is bad or wrong, in fact, it's almost more fitting concerning the events that transpire: having reached the depths of Chronopolis, a confrontation with the heart of Project Kid in the Frozen Flame, and a final confrontation with Lynx/FATE. A lot all at once and worthy of brassy fanfare.

If you don't feel confident in the vision you've laid out, you could always merge the two styles. Start loud and brassy and turn to more quiet and harpsical or vice versa. Or utilize the original as some sort of middle transition or something.

Either way, this version has my blessing. I view this as your interpretation through and through, and I am the first to say that any deviation is definitely NOT a bad thing.

I really appreciate that. I feel confident and comfortable with the direction I've taken with all of these tracks, even though some tracks (like this one) deviate so far from the original it's almost easier to say "inspired by" rather than to say it's an arrangement.

That being said, I wanted to do an arrangement album of Cross music, not re-write the soundtrack completely.  It's been fun, albeit, difficult to find a perfect balance.  Obviously you'll never please everyone, but I like to try and find a general consensus. 

To speak to this track directly, I agree with you.  While I love the Frozen Flame theme, it was always an odd fit for me at this point of the game. The revelations in that scene plus the energy of confronting Lynx/FATE always seemed like a BIG moment where the villain theme blares followed by a bombastic boss theme. I have the same issue with the battle music for FATE, it's always felt off to me. Never the less, I tried to incorporate elements of both into this track, and there are sections that are true to the original with a more up-tempo flare.

It's comforting to know that there are people like yourself that are open to divination from the source material.  I've seen some pretty nasty reddit and youtube comments on other peoples arrangements that took a little artistic license...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2018, 02:38:50 pm »
It's comforting to know that there are people like yourself that are open to divination from the source material.  I've seen some pretty nasty reddit and youtube comments on other peoples arrangements that took a little artistic license...

Bah, people can be assholes. I see the same thing in just about any fanon (particularly Star Wars). People bitch and moan when you don't deviate enough (see the gameplay for the remake of Secret of Mana, or Star Wars: The Force Awakens), and they bitch and moan when you deviate too much (see the music for the remake of Secret of Mana, or Star Wars: The Last Jedi). People feel like if it's not their interpretation of how it should be, then it's blatantly wrong.

Regardless, this album is going to be lit!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2018, 10:30:37 pm »

Bah, people can be assholes. I see the same thing in just about any fanon (particularly Star Wars). People bitch and moan when you don't deviate enough (see the gameplay for the remake of Secret of Mana, or Star Wars: The Force Awakens), and they bitch and moan when you deviate too much (see the music for the remake of Secret of Mana, or Star Wars: The Last Jedi). People feel like if it's not their interpretation of how it should be, then it's blatantly wrong.

Haha the Star Wars fandom has to be one of the most toxic things out there...I feel sorry for anyone that is working on anything Star Wars related.

Like I said, you can't please everyone.  I'm not under any illusion that this album will be received well by the entire community. I know there are several people, even on the Chrono reddit, who aren't a fan of orchestral renditions in general, so I'm sure there will be some negativity. My hope is that the majority likes what I'm doing though!

Man, just knowing that the few of you that have been active in this thread are supportive, and generally psyched for this album is amazing!  It's the kind of motivation that keeps me writing into the 10th hour.  I can't say thank you enough!  Hopefully everything can gain enough attention and momentum to get it funded and released in the next few months!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2018, 11:40:04 pm »
I know there are several people, even on the Chrono reddit, who aren't a fan of orchestral renditions in general, so I'm sure there will be some negativity. My hope is that the majority likes what I'm doing though!

The only thing that would appease these people would be:

1.) A 8-bit chiptune downgrade, or
2.) All speed metal covers

Bahaha!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2018, 11:47:06 pm »
2.) All speed metal covers

You know, I have noticed a lot of metal covers for games like Chrono Trigger and Kingdom Hearts lately.  I find it so...bazaar.  I can't think of style further removed from the original.  Hahaha

I guess there was that trap mix posted on the Chrono Trigger reddit the other day...

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2018, 02:07:02 pm »
I keep forgetting to respond to this thread.  :shock:

I did listen to the track and I really liked it! I thought it was beautiful. And to those naysayers... well they don't know good music! I cannot wait for the entire album!