Author Topic: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album  (Read 50919 times)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2018, 04:30:48 pm »
I will wait with bated breath.

:o :cry: :shock: :oops:

That's my crappy attempt to make a montage of a nu holding his breath.

That's a great montage!!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2018, 08:50:14 pm »
Hold your breath no more!  Here it is!

https://soundcloud.com/john-paul-hayward/village-from-the-sea/s-YS2oV

Like before, this link will go dead in a few days. I'm actually a little more at peace with the song now, but I would still love to hear your thoughts!  Does it do the job of telling the whole Nikki/Demi-human story arch?

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »
I think so!!! This piece is absolutely beautiful!!!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2018, 12:08:05 am »
Yup, you nailed it. The transition to the ghost ship was really subtle and tasteful. I honestly wouldn't have noticed it at first, especially with the variation of the Marbule theme over it (just changed key). Then you come back out with the swell at 1:40 with the grandiose and brass fanfare rendition. Hot stuff, baby!

I really like this, although I'll say the 1:40 to 1:50 mark is probably the first time I didn't think I was listening to a live orchestra. I'm not sure why, but something about this segment felt inorganic in the sound quality. Could be a mixing thing, since this is the pre-mix copy. Not a bad thing at all, just an observation. Once the brass kicks in at 1:51, though, it seems to be fine.

I love the slightly increased tempo and subtle horns at 2:18. And the plucked strings at 2:28 and beyond. Then the brass comes back in and the swell at 2:42 -- here is where you are really getting to shine! I love the deviation you do in the little bridge back into the final big fanfare.

That fanfare, by the way, totally reminds me of something big and grandiose that Joe Hisaishi would write. I dunno, maybe a big bathhouse song from Spirited Away or a royal fanfare from Howl's Moving Castle. If you aren't familiar with him, that's supposed to be a compliment. Oh, and if anything, you could loop this fanfare portion (from 2:51 to the end) -- it was really jiving and I was almost disappointed it dropped off and ended when it did. Seriously. You could run with that for another 20 or 30 seconds.

All in all, you nailed the piece. I really enjoyed and I think you managed to capture the plight of the people well. It was fun and airy and then dipped into the darkness for a moment. Good stuff.

If only you had Nikki trying to nail those notes and then start shredding it on the guitar. /s/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:09:44 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2018, 02:20:50 pm »
Damn. Really loving that fanfare. Reminds me a lot of FFXII's soundtrack, which I love.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2018, 10:19:02 pm »
I think so!!! This piece is absolutely beautiful!!!

Thank you! :)  I'm really glad you're enjoying it!

Yup, you nailed it. The transition to the ghost ship was really subtle and tasteful. I honestly wouldn't have noticed it at first, especially with the variation of the Marbule theme over it (just changed key). Then you come back out with the swell at 1:40 with the grandiose and brass fanfare rendition. Hot stuff, baby!

Thanks, Boo! I'm glad you picked up on the Ghost Ship!  I thought for sure it was too subtle!

I really like this, although I'll say the 1:40 to 1:50 mark is probably the first time I didn't think I was listening to a live orchestra. I'm not sure why, but something about this segment felt inorganic in the sound quality. Could be a mixing thing, since this is the pre-mix copy. Not a bad thing at all, just an observation. Once the brass kicks in at 1:51, though, it seems to be fine.

I know exactly what you're talking about.  It's my stupid Viola samples.  They have some real trouble with the fast turn around in the Zelbess theme.  I'll work on them for the final product. Worst case I just need to pick a different sample for that section and it should clear up.

That fanfare, by the way, totally reminds me of something big and grandiose that Joe Hisaishi would write. I dunno, maybe a big bathhouse song from Spirited Away or a royal fanfare from Howl's Moving Castle. If you aren't familiar with him, that's supposed to be a compliment. Oh, and if anything, you could loop this fanfare portion (from 2:51 to the end) -- it was really jiving and I was almost disappointed it dropped off and ended when it did. Seriously. You could run with that for another 20 or 30 seconds.

Total compliment!  I love Joe Hisaishi's work! He's been one of the composers that I've been listening to for years. I thought about looping the fanfare, making it a big party, but something seemed right to end it earlier, as if Serge and co are sneaking out the back while everything is still going on!

If only you had Nikki trying to nail those notes and then start shredding it on the guitar. /s/

Haha well, Electric guitar doesn't fit my MO very well.  Even if it IS in the game, I felt like I should stick to the orchestral narrative that I've created.

Damn. Really loving that fanfare. Reminds me a lot of FFXII's soundtrack, which I love.

Kodokami!  Thank you! I also love XII's soundtrack, so that is a great compliment!  I only hope I deserve it! haha I suppose we will see when I release the full album... :o

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2018, 01:19:39 am »
New preview for Track 11 is up!  I'm really loving the way this one is turning out!  It's a little on the dark side, but I'm going to try and progressively build this one into the battle with Miguel.  This track uses themes from both The Dead Sea and the Sea of Eden, since I'm trying to loosely cover both areas.  I'm going to slip in a track for Kid next, followed by the Dragons, and the Final Battle. (Which will likely not be a battle track at all. haha)

Let me know what you guys think!  I would also love to hear what themes you pick out!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj81HC8Hqqr/

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2018, 03:10:25 am »
New preview for Track 11 is up!  I'm really loving the way this one is turning out!  It's a little on the dark side, but I'm going to try and progressively build this one into the battle with Miguel.  This track uses themes from both The Dead Sea and the Sea of Eden, since I'm trying to loosely cover both areas.  I'm going to slip in a track for Kid next, followed by the Dragons, and the Final Battle. (Which will likely not be a battle track at all. haha)

Let me know what you guys think!  I would also love to hear what themes you pick out!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj81HC8Hqqr/

I think it's great. Sounds very unique and I had to stretch my memory to isolate the songs; the video clip you showed at the Isle of the Damned fit really well, too. I'm curious to hear the whole song, though.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2018, 03:59:08 pm »
I think it's great. Sounds very unique and I had to stretch my memory to isolate the songs; the video clip you showed at the Isle of the Damned fit really well, too. I'm curious to hear the whole song, though.

That clip is actually from the entrance to The Dead Sea, but it had the same atmosphere.  I know the music isn't the most identifiable at this point. I sprinkled in themes from Isle of the Damned, The Dead Sea, Dragon Night, Chronopolis, and Scars of Time all in that one minute clip.  Some of them are a little hidden though. haha It's going to progress into The Dead Sea theme, and then morph into Prisoners of Fate in the end.  It's kind of a vague track, but I'm hoping it hits all of the bullet points.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:39:08 pm by CptOvaltine »

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2018, 04:22:54 pm »
PRISONERS OF FATE?! Oooooo I can't wait to hear the full track!!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2018, 07:54:38 pm »
PRISONERS OF FATE?! Oooooo I can't wait to hear the full track!!

I know how much you love that song, so I'm going to really try to do it justice!  :D

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2018, 08:40:13 pm »
On my first few listens, I heard, in order, a melody from Chrono Trigger that I couldn't quite place, "Departed Souls" (one of my favorites), a jingle that I thought was from Trigger's "Memories of Green" or maybe Cross's "Earth Dragon Isle", and that final 3 note progression I couldn't quite pinpoint at first--though I now realize it's the opening to "Dead Sea".

I don't hear "Isle of the Damned" or "Scar's Time", and I think that jingle is either still "Memories of Green" or maybe "Chronopolis". Speaking of which...

I was trying so hard to pinpoint that first tune that I swore was from Trigger, and then I got it: "World Revolution"! Except... Listening closer... It's also "Chronopolis". THEY USE THE SAME MELODY??? How did I not know this? :o

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2018, 11:05:45 pm »
You nailed some of these!  That's awesome, since I thought some of these would be too obscure for sure!

Since Instagram doesn't give you a time stamp, here is the link to the Facebook post. I'll give you a time stamp for all of themes. :D

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPaulHaywardMusic/videos/2121862591423076/

0:16 - "Chronopolis" in the Clarinet
0:25 - "Scars of Time" The opening is played with the Bassoon in the background, it only lasts for a few seconds.
0:35 - "Isle of the Damned" Right after the crash the Harp and Marimba play the arpeggiated line from Isle of the Damned, only once though.
0:35 - "Dragon Knight" the Violins play the main melody from Dragon night underneath the Isle of the Damned theme.
0:41 - "Chronopolis" comes in with the Harp.  I mostly use the rhythm, as I change the chords to fit the mood.
0:52 - "The Dead Sea" The Flute plays the melody, although it is twisted and distorted, again to fit the mood, but the essence is there.  The Crotales (the high pitched bell sounds) play the last half of The Dead Sea under the main melody - again twisted to fit the mood.

I didn't include any CT themes, so if you heard them it's a complete coincidence! haha  8)
I knew the "World Revolution" theme was similar, I didn't think it was the same though.  I'll have to check it out for sure!

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2018, 11:41:50 pm »
Has anybody made a list of all the leitmotifs in the Chrono soundtracks? I can catch the big obvious ones like Cross's Home World map theme referencing Trigger's main theme because it lasts for so many notes, but shorter ones fly right over my head. Sometimes I get the feeling that I should recognize a phrase (is that the right word?), but I can never seem to place it.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2018, 11:59:11 pm »
I never made the connection between the two songs until now, and I think it's because the clarinet you're using to play the "Chronopolis" theme sounds much more like whatever instrument was referenced for "World Revolution", whereas the actual sound in "Chronopolis" is muted, almost in the background.

Regardless, I think it's awesome that you can incorporate so many themes into these songs without it sounding jumbled or out of place. The subtlety in some of them is perfect.

Has anybody made a list of all the leitmotifs in the Chrono soundtracks? I can catch the big obvious ones like Cross's Home World map theme referencing Trigger's main theme because it lasts for so many notes, but shorter ones fly right over my head. Sometimes I get the feeling that I should recognize a phrase (is that the right word?), but I can never seem to place it.

That's a good question! And something I think we should investigate.