Author Topic: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album  (Read 50836 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2018, 03:41:00 pm »
Haha I love the enthusiasm! Although it's only fair to point out this is "The Bend of Time" not "Arni Village"...although the Another World version is very similar to "The Bend of Time" which is also played by a solo guitar. I love that it takes you down nostalgia lane, though.  That's exactly how I felt while writing it. 

Listening to it again when not loaded with Ambien and insomnia definitely paints a different picture. You're totally right! Not sure where I was going with it last night. The songs are wildly different, except, you know... The Dimensional Vortex and Arni Theme are both subtle acoustic pieces?

Regardless, beautifully done and I stand by everything else said!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2018, 03:53:38 pm »
Haha I love the enthusiasm! Although it's only fair to point out this is "The Bend of Time" not "Arni Village"...although the Another World version is very similar to "The Bend of Time" which is also played by a solo guitar. I love that it takes you down nostalgia lane, though.  That's exactly how I felt while writing it. 

Listening to it again when not loaded with Ambien and insomnia definitely paints a different picture. You're totally right! Not sure where I was going with it last night. The songs are wildly different, except, you know... The Dimensional Vortex and Arni Theme are both subtle acoustic pieces?

Regardless, beautifully done and I stand by everything else said!

Haha I'm glad to hear that it doesn't need Ambien to be enjoyed!  :lol:

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2018, 02:40:04 am »
So, I've been working on the Marbule sequence for the past few days...and let me tell you, this has been the HARDEST theme to work with on the whole album.  It's such a simple tune. It loops very easily, which makes it a pain to turn it into a full fledged track.

In my attempts, things got a little...dark...haha. I was trying to represent boarding the Zelbess and finding a happy, fun cruise ship, slowly realizing that the captain is corrupt and the workers are paid and treated like slaves.  Of course it later moves on and into Nikki's concert. (sans electric guitar...sorry (#notsorry))

Here's the preview!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjq-J56n4AV/?igshid=13098wkckgbne&utm_source=fb_www_attr

Let me know what you all think!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:42:50 am by CptOvaltine »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2018, 03:46:41 pm »
Sounds great! Nothing to add beyond that.

Also -- I'll subscribe to you on InstaGram. I don't use it often, but now I know you handle, one more method to keep my eyes on this and future projects.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2018, 04:14:37 pm »
Thanks for following!  Instagram is probably the best way to stay up-to-date with what I'm doing, the next best would be my facebook page.  I just suck at updating anything really. haha

I'm glad you like it.  If you're willing I would like to share the full track with you when it's finished and get some feedback.  This one has been such a struggle to write and I feel like my sudden transitions are going to give the listener whiplash.

I've had a few other people listen, and they think it's fine, but they also aren't familiar with the source material, so I'd appreciate some feedback from someone that knows the game and song well.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2018, 04:16:25 pm »
I'm glad you mentioned the Instagram thing because I didn't even notice that! I'm such an airhead sometimes. LOL Followed!!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2018, 04:19:49 pm »
Thanks for following! :) What do you think of the Marbule preview?  Is it to weird?

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2018, 04:25:12 pm »
I do have to listen to it yet but I definitely will after work! I check in a fair bit on Instagram ( I used to be better but I've been slacking lately! Ha ha!) so It'll help me keep a better tab on your work. I tend to check in on here during work but I can't watch the videos then, so this will help!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2018, 04:48:56 pm »
No worries! I think I'll have the track finished today.  This one is probably my least favorite on the album, but that could just be my frustration speaking.  8)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2018, 06:11:01 pm »
I just thought of something.... one of my favorite songs from Chrono Cross is the music for the Miguel battle... have you done that one yet or will you being doing it soon? That song is so haunting and beautiful, I just LOVE it!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2018, 06:19:09 pm »
I haven't done that one yet! Though my next track is about the Chronopolis, so it's likely to make an appearance soon. :D

It's definitely a song I want to include in some form.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2018, 02:24:09 pm »
Ooooo yay! I can't wait! I just think that track is so beautiful. :)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2018, 03:09:15 pm »
What do you think of the Marbule preview?  Is it to weird?

I listened to this again and am really digging it. I like the flutes and subtle woodblock. Since it's an instagram vid I can't time stamp it, but there are some really strong parts in the one minute snippet we hear. I think any negatives you feel with the piece come from your own struggles with putting the piece together. :D

On that note, I don't think I noticed last night how well you incorporate the pirate ship music into the piece. It flew over my head yesterday.

Are you going to have a part melt down into electric guitar solos as Nikki and the Magical Dreamers? Gwahahaha!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2018, 04:04:54 pm »
Are you going to have a part melt down into electric guitar solos as Nikki and the Magical Dreamers? Gwahahaha!

While this might be disappointing, there's no electric guitar solo. Sorry (#notsorry) haha I did use the full orchestra for Magical Dreamers though, and I like what came out...although it turned a little more heroic then I intended, but I think it works!

I listened to this again and am really digging it. I like the flutes and subtle woodblock. Since it's an instagram vid I can't time stamp it, but there are some really strong parts in the one minute snippet we hear. I think any negatives you feel with the piece come from your own struggles with putting the piece together. :D

That's a relief!  Although maybe I should keep holding my breath until you hear the full track.  I'm not sold on all of the transitions between sections.  I feel like it gets a little whiplash-y, but like I said before, others seem to think it's fine and it's all in my head...so...I don't know. I finished the track last night, and will be working on the editing this afternoon.  I'll post another limited time full preview for you guys to take a listen.  I would love to get some feedback on what you think!

On that note, I don't think I noticed last night how well you incorporate the pirate ship music into the piece. It flew over my head yesterday.

That was my favorite part of this track!  It fit so well it even surprised me, since they're very different keys, and one is swung while the other is straight. I was also able to fit in parts of Termina Home and Another in a couple places which I thought was cool.

I'll post a preview link in a few hours!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:06:55 pm by CptOvaltine »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2018, 04:08:24 pm »
I will wait with bated breath.

:o :cry: :shock: :oops:

That's my crappy attempt to make a montage of a nu holding his breath.