Author Topic: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album  (Read 50577 times)

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2018, 02:30:28 pm »
Definitely not too dark or different. Besides, this is your interpretation. This is art, afterall, and you're the man with the paintbrush. You do what speaks to you. But yeah, definitely not too different (I mean, it's not like you're doing a metal or midi chiptune version, hahaha)

Well that's good to hear!  I'm a little battle scarred from seeing some other friends arrangement albums getting torn to shreds over "losing sight of the original."  Final Symphony also comes to mind. (If you're familiar with it.)  Some fans, myself included, absolutely love it and think it's brilliant. Others say it's just an orchestrater showing off and it's completely lost the original piece.

I've always been of the opinion that my version (or any version) of a piece doesn't change the original, so I'm not sure why some people get so up in arms...none the less, it still sits in the back of my mind when I venture away from the original.

I had no idea they were words -- now I definitely have to go back and listen and see if I can make them out!

I probably should have worded that better. haha That sentence would only apply if a real choir were to perform this. So I wrote those words in the music, but what's in the recording is a bunch of nonsense Latin since that's all my samples can do. :D

Although I'm a musician myself (percussionist), I went the rock band route and my knowledge of traditional instruments is pretty thin. I had no idea an oboe could get that high

Oh! That's cool! did you over do any orchestral percussion?  If so, you'll like some of the effects I'm using with the Vibes and Crotales.

The Oboe has a pretty big range! It's comfortably playable from about C4 through E6.  If you have a good player they can tack on a few more notes on either end. I personally love it's timbre and use it as a solo instrument often - although it can get some flack at times for being a little "duck-like." haha

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2018, 06:14:39 pm »
I've always been of the opinion that my version (or any version) of a piece doesn't change the original, so I'm not sure why some people get so up in arms...none the less, it still sits in the back of my mind when I venture away from the original.

I dunno, people on the internet can just be a-holes. Interpretation is to be expected and not everyone is going to like everything; simply have respect for was created and if you like it, great, if not, someone else will. I agree -- a new interpretation doesn't detract from the other. The recent Secret of Mana release comes to mind -- for example, you don't like the remixed music or graphics of the remake? Great, but it's cool, but you still have your original version to hold on to. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

I feel the same way about continuing the Chrono Trigger series -- even if the Dream Team is discarded and Square Enix isn't the same trusted source of gaming it once was, *something* is better than nothing. I'd rather reinvigorate the franchise with a flawed revival (which could always end up being great) rather than let it continue to stagnant into oblivion.

Oh! That's cool! did you over do any orchestral percussion? If so, you'll like some of the effects I'm using with the Vibes and Crotales.

I was in band in elementary school and did jazz band and marching band for a year in middle school. We then started moving a lot and with all the moves, I quit doing the whole music thing. It was hard trying to constantly jump into new groups of established musicians, and I started getting into rock/indie music, so I went that route instead.

So I went from playing Joe Zawinul's Birdland to the Sex Pistols' God Save the Queen (I got really into punk rock in middle school, which then led me down the road).

So I definitely don't have a big comprehension of orchestra and what not. But if you want to talk about My Bloody Valentine or Radiohead, I'm all over it,m hahahaha....

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2018, 08:42:22 pm »
In my opinion, this kind of work should contain enough of the original to be recognizable, while also standing on its own so you're not just reinventing the wheel.

I think you've accomplished that quite well.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2018, 09:32:47 pm »
I dunno, people on the internet can just be a-holes. Interpretation is to be expected and not everyone is going to like everything; simply have respect for was created and if you like it, great, if not, someone else will. I agree -- a new interpretation doesn't detract from the other. The recent Secret of Mana release comes to mind -- for example, you don't like the remixed music or graphics of the remake? Great, but it's cool, but you still have your original version to hold on to. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

I feel the same way. It's always strange to me to see the internet rain on someones parade! I've seen many bad Chrono arrangements, that doesn't make the original music any less enjoyable!

I feel the same way about continuing the Chrono Trigger series -- even if the Dream Team is discarded and Square Enix isn't the same trusted source of gaming it once was, *something* is better than nothing. I'd rather reinvigorate the franchise with a flawed revival (which could always end up being great) rather than let it continue to stagnant into oblivion.

I've got mixed feelings on this one. I tend to lean a little more into the "don't mess with it" camp.  Although, I would be very interested in a new Chrono game if it were announced. I would support it and give it a fair shot.  If it were complete rubbish I would be disappointed, but it wouldn't ruin the series for me.

So I definitely don't have a big comprehension of orchestra and what not. But if you want to talk about My Bloody Valentine or Radiohead, I'm all over it,m hahahaha....

Not exactly my cup of tea anymore, but I used to be really into alt/punk rock in high school. haha

In my opinion, this kind of work should contain enough of the original to be recognizable, while also standing on its own so you're not just reinventing the wheel.

I think you've accomplished that quite well.

I think it should definitely be recognizable, but it's hard to gauge how recognizable it needs to be for some. There are some listeners that if you deviate at all from the original they lose their minds over how you've butchered the song and ruined all that was holy.  Then there are those that prefer that you only include short nods to the original and completely change it up.  I probably lean a little more to the latter, but I certainly appreciate a true to form orchestration as well.

I'm really glad you feel like I'm striking a balance here.  I'm trying to bridge both worlds, so it's refreshing to see that it's working! :)

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2018, 03:19:43 am »
Alright guys, I just finished track 7. I'll post a a small preview here for you sometime tomorrow.  In the mean time I have a new question.

I've finally settled on 14 tracks total for the album for a couple different reasons.  The first 8 tracks follow the story up to the dimensional distortion that Lynx dumps Serge after switching bodies. I already have plans for the final track on the album, so here's what I'm trying to decide:

Should I try to finish out the story in the remaining 5 tracks, and if so what songs from the OST are most important in terms of story?

Or...

Should I try and hit a good stopping point in the story and plan to produce a "Cross Symphonic 2," or EP" (depending on how much material is left) if this album does well enough?  If so, then where would be a good split point?

Thanks guys!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2018, 10:04:59 am »
I'm always of the mindset that one should never put a dead stop on one's art projects.

So the question is --

Do you think you can push out another 8 tracks for a second EP without it being forced? If not, finish up the next few tracks and call it a complete album.

If a second EP is contingent is dependent on the success of the first one, just finish the album as is.

Nothing is worse than a story not coming to it's conclusion. Happens way too much on television shows!

:)

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2018, 12:50:05 pm »
There's plenty of ost content to do another album,  however it would be more of a "Chrono Cross greatest hits" album, since the tracks that are left over are town themes and various map tracks that didn't fit into my vision for Cross Symphonic.

I'm inclined to finish out the story, but there's a lot of ground left to cover in only five tracks.  I don't want it to feel rushed,  or like I skipped to much.  That being said,  after you get Serge's body back,  a good portion of the story that's left is optional.

So if I did a track covering the dimensional area, one covering the dragons, one for the chronopolis/ deadsea area, and a final battle track, is that going to be enough,  or is that cutting to much content in your opinion? I could possibly add one MAYBE two more tracks,  but there are some logistical issues that make that a little more difficult.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2018, 03:21:07 pm »
Based on that, wrap up the five tracks you've got, maybe add one or two more if you feel you've not scratched a particular itch.

1. So you have Sprigg and the Dimensional Vortex...
2. Add one about Marbule (and the Song of Life if not already represented).
3. Then Chronopolis / Dead Sea / battle with Wazuki (that song man! those feels!)
4. Another for the dragons (and you can roll in Terra Tower or whatever if you wish)
5. Then the final battle track.

Which now that I think of it, what did you have in mind for the final battle? The Song of Life that the Chrono Cross element creates? I ask because the final battle was silent otherwise, hahaha...

I also wouldn't say no to your interpretation of "Radical Dreamers ~ Unstolen Jewel ~" (RADICAL DREAMERS ~盗めない宝石~). That song is gold. It may also be your interpretation for the final battle track, I dunno.

I mention the Radical Dreamers song because I feel it is the ultimate bookmark for Chrono Cross. The song itself, plus the vivid imagery of the ending, really bring the story to a close. Schala is freed and decides to search for her loved one(s). Your version wouldn't need to be acoustic or need the lyrics; I think you have the chops to orchestrate it and keep the same invocation of emotion of the original.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:27:02 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2018, 06:34:45 pm »
I really appreciate the input! This list helps me organize my thoughts, haha.

1. So you have Sprigg and the Dimensional Vortex...
2. Add one about Marbule (and the Song of Life if not already represented).
3. Then Chronopolis / Dead Sea / battle with Wazuki (that song man! those feels!)
4. Another for the dragons (and you can roll in Terra Tower or whatever if you wish)
5. Then the final battle track.

I like this list, Marbule hasn't been represented yet, and it is significant to the story.  I've been playing around with a few ideas trying to decide how I want to represent it so that it stays consistent with the rest of the album.

The Chronopolis and Wazuki will be fairly straight forward.  I just need to figure out how to meld a couple tracks together without coming accross as a medley.

The Dragon track is already in the works!

I want to touch on the Sea of Eden, and the battle with FATE. (also using the motif that I've been using for Lynx all throughout the album) This might need to be an additional track that I wasn't counting on.

I really wanted to do a Kid/Schala track, so maybe it's worth adding another track to cover that and the burning orphanage.  The biggest issue is that it messes a little with the timeline, since technically that happens before the group heads off to Terra Tower, which is something I wanted to highlight in the Dragon track.

Which now that I think of it, what did you have in mind for the final battle? The Song of Life that the Chrono Cross element creates? I ask because the final battle was silent otherwise, hahaha...

I have a few ideas. ;)  They probably won't quite align with what the game does in that section, but it should represent that scene very well, of course ending with "Life - A Distant Promise" while releasing Schala from the Time Devourer.

I also wouldn't say no to your interpretation of "Radical Dreamers ~ Unstolen Jewel ~" (RADICAL DREAMERS ~盗めない宝石~). That song is gold. It may also be your interpretation for the final battle track, I dunno.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this track!  It, and "Scars of Time" are staples in the OST, so they'll both have an appearance of some sort. ;)

So while typing this it's becoming very apparent that I need to find a way to add two tracks to the album - 16 total. If I did that would you feel like the story is accurately represented, (based on my outline) or is there still something lacking?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2018, 11:37:56 pm »
I definitely think that would encompass it all. And don't worry about Kid's song being a little out of order; I don't think anyone would think twice about it. :)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 12:32:01 am »
I wonder if having the Kid/Schala track as the penultimate track would work? It could lead into "Life ~Distant Promise~" which, since it already carries the theme for RADICAL DREAMERS, could work as the end of the album.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 02:37:56 am »
As promised here is a a preview of the full track!  Again, it's a private link that I'll reset in a few days, but I wanted to show you guys as a thank you!

https://soundcloud.com/john-paul-hayward/from-water-to-fire/s-zLjso

I definitely think that would encompass it all. And don't worry about Kid's song being a little out of order; I don't think anyone would think twice about it. :)

Awesome, then it sounds like I have a game plan!

I wonder if having the Kid/Schala track as the penultimate track would work? It could lead into "Life ~Distant Promise~" which, since it already carries the theme for RADICAL DREAMERS, could work as the end of the album.

Oooo...that's a good idea.  I may actually do both, then reprise it, if you will, for the final track.  Let me play with it and see what comes out!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 02:27:26 am »
As promised here is a a preview of the full track!  Again, it's a private link that I'll reset in a few days, but I wanted to show you guys as a thank you!

I am late to this thread, having only recently returned to the Compendium, but that is gorgeous!

Where can I find your formally published work online?

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 03:05:58 am »

I am late to this thread, having only recently returned to the Compendium, but that is gorgeous!

Where can I find your formally published work online?

Hi Lord! I'm really glad to hear that you like it! The Cross Symphonic album still has a TBD release date, but I'll be sure to update everyone one where and when they can get it as soon as things are set in stone.

I've posted some other sample tracks from the album on my YouTube and soundcloud that you can check out if you like, I'll link them below! I also frequently post snippets of in progress tracks on Instagram. :)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnPHayward
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/john-paul-hayward
Instagram: brokenskyproductions

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2018, 03:08:49 am »
Awesome! I will check it out.