Author Topic: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album  (Read 50573 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Symphonic - A cinematic Chrono Cross album
« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2019, 05:42:17 pm »
That's a stellar vid! I like the moon reveal.

Can't wait!

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #256 on: January 11, 2019, 09:59:42 am »
Very nice. It's little details like chronopolis that will really ring to true fans

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 11, 2019, 03:51:25 pm »
Thanks guys!

I know I've said this many times before, and have always had to back track...but the kickstarter is launching soon. This time there is no outside involvement to screw up my plans. I'm shooting for the first week in February.  It's going to be one uphill battle, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2019, 04:10:14 am »
Hey guys, this is a preview link for the kickstarter page in progress.  I would really appreciate any and all feed back you might have! As of now I only have the rewards listed.  Over the next 3 days I'll be adding content leading up to the launch on Feb 4.

I specifically would like to know if the rewards are clear, and are desirable. If not, what could I change to help you pledge?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnpaulhayward/1154193467?ref=4c7yin&token=c5d5abc5

It's almost time!!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2019, 09:32:29 am »
Woohoo!

So just my two cents, but I feel like the early tier rewards are too accessible.

For example: $15 gets the album and a poster. I feel like that should be moreso around the $20 or $25 mark. I say that because the production of the poster plus the shipping and handling has got to really eat into the bottom line, especially when it's international.

EDIT: Nevermind. I read through it again and realized that I was looking at Early Bird and non-Early Bird.

Are there plans to sell the CDs and vinyl's individually?

And what if the Kickstarter goal isn't met? Then what?

Have you considered having your kickstarter itself in tiers, something like below:
Raise $50,000 - Physical CD release
Raise $75,000 - Vinyl release
Raise $150,000 - Live orchestra re-recording

That way it's not an all or nothing release. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:35:17 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2019, 02:13:41 pm »
As you've realized, those are early bird rewards. There are only 100 available, then after that the price point rises. I feel like one of the best values is the Kid tier, personally.  But you are totally right about the shipping.  Fortunately, I have access to some shipping discounts through my publishing company that will help with all of that.

Other then that, did you feel like the different tiers offered a good value?  Is there something that you would have liked to see in a tier that isn't there, or maybe at the wrong price point?

Are there plans to sell the CDs and vinyl's individually?

Are you talking about post kickstarter?  The answer is yes...and no.  Currently my plan is to only offer the physical rewards during the kickstarter.  After the campaign ends, I'll sell of excess stock.  I wanted to gauge interest before I decide to restock or not. The physical editions will always be somewhat of a collectors item, so they'll be priced higher than a regular CD.  Probably somewhere in the $20-$30 range for a CD and $40 - $60 for a vinyl.

I think it's important to make sure I'm giving some sort of value or incentive to buy the CD or vinyl through the kickstarter, I don't want to slap all of my backers in the face to just turn around and sell the physical merch for less then it took to get them in the campaign. It's a weird balance.  Thoughts?

And what if the Kickstarter goal isn't met? Then what?

Have you considered having your kickstarter itself in tiers, something like below:
Raise $50,000 - Physical CD release
Raise $75,000 - Vinyl release
Raise $150,000 - Live orchestra re-recording

That way it's not an all or nothing release. Just a thought.

Those are good ideas. I've talked with people about doing something similar and have more or less decided on the following strategy:

I'm going for broke with this campaign.  Full symphonic recording, high quality art (which I just got the semi-finished file today.  This art is going to be INSANE!), limited edition physical prints of all merch with a collectors quality packaging for different backer rewards, the whole shebang!  In the event the campaign fails, that's not the end of the project.  We'll reevaluate the project and scale back accordingly, and launch again.

Depending on what kind of interest we received in this campaign that could be anything from trying to release a fully recorded album in chunks, or simply having the midi mastered with a physical release, or maybe just pay for the licensing and digitally release the tracks as is.  It just depends.

Everything I've read says that the campaign needs to be as clear and focused on one objective as possible, even in your stretch goals, so I feel like keeping this campaign specifically about realizing the story from Cross through a symphony orchestra is the best approach.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2019, 03:38:26 pm »
Gotcha. It all sounds good -- I hear what you're saying in regards to the physical releases.

As for the tiered structure, I just want to make sure this project meets the goal. $150k seems like a lot, but I don't know much about the ins and outs of similar projects. Thus my initial tiered approach perspective.

All I know is that I will be a day one backer.

How long will you have the kickstarter open for? 30 days? 60 days?

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 31, 2019, 04:07:11 pm »
You're absolutely right. $150K is a lot, and it's going to be a massive uphill battle to get it funded.  In terms of similar projects, it's honestly not that much. A symphonic album of this caliber would run closer to $200k - $250K depending on the approach. There are a lot of costs that I can eat myself when it comes to music preparation, orchestration, score production, music librarian tasks, etc.  Since I can do all of those things myself I don't need to hire them out, and that saves a good chunk of change.

In terms of video game cover albums, this is a lot of money. These types of budgets are reserved for top tier albums, like Distant Worlds or Final Symphony - the sponsored stuff. But then again, that's what I want to achieve with Cross Symphonic, a top tier experience.

Companies like Materia collective do a lot of recording over seas, and with smaller groups.  It's significantly cheaper, but I feel like the trade off in quality isn't worth the price break.

I have my doubts about getting this funded, but I have to try!  If I fail we'll scale back and try again! If we succeed then it's time to start all over again with Trigger.  After all, it's the 25th anniversary next year. ;)

Edit:  I forgot to answer your question...it's a 30 day campaign.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:13:42 pm by CptOvaltine »

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2019, 05:11:04 am »
The campaign is almost complete.  The video is a placeholder right now, as are the audio tracks. I'll also be adding a few simple graphics tomorrow, but everything else is pretty much done.

Could you take a look and let me know what you think?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2019, 09:30:07 am »
Sure! Feel free to hit me up here or via text.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #266 on: February 01, 2019, 12:33:15 pm »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnpaulhayward/1154193467?ref=4c7yin&token=c5d5abc5
[/quote]

I think this one is my fav description:
Glenn グレン
A tier for dual-tech enthusiasts. Double the rewards for you and a friend. After all, you can't X Slash alone.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 01, 2019, 01:54:13 pm »
Awesome, thanks!

No logo in the video? Once it fades out for a bit it just stays back for 5-8 seconds. Would be cool to put the logo in there. Granted, I am sure re-rendering would suck.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:55:27 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 01, 2019, 02:49:50 pm »

I think this one is my fav description:
Glenn グレン
A tier for dual-tech enthusiasts. Double the rewards for you and a friend. After all, you can't X Slash alone.
[/quote]

I tried to have a little fun with the tier descriptions.  I thought it might be fun for people to add little tie ins to the game/series. :D

No logo in the video? Once it fades out for a bit it just stays back for 5-8 seconds. Would be cool to put the logo in there. Granted, I am sure re-rendering would suck.

The video is just a place holder right now. I'm working on the final video over the next day or two.  There will be some clips of me speaking, some text, I am going to re-render the intro and slow it down a bit, maybe change the camera tracking a bit, add the logo...etc.  There are still several place holders visually.

Right now I mostly need people to read through the text and make sure it clearly explains the project and my goals with the project. If there are sections that are confusing, or seem unnecessary then I want to trim as much fat as possible.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 01, 2019, 06:43:21 pm »
It's looking great so far, CptOvaltine. Can't wait to see that artwork. Maybe add more for readers to learn more about you and possibly listen to your previous work?