Author Topic: Possible ressurections?  (Read 4210 times)

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Possible ressurections?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 02:23:11 am »
Hmmm, I don't know...

Anyone see Indiana Jones 4? Godfather 3? The Cartoon Network episodes of Futurama? THe prequels to Star Wars???

Don't get me wrong, I want CT back, but even CC wasn't proper if you ask me. If you're going to bring it back, it should be at least as good as the original.

I guess I just want it all.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 04:01:26 am »
The battle sound effect list is largely unidentified. The non-battle list is done, so it's easy to select a door opening or a cat meowing.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:38 pm »
The battle sound effect list is largely unidentified. The non-battle list is done, so it's easy to select a door opening or a cat meowing.

Gotcha. I didn't realize that!

Indiana Jones 4? Godfather 3? The Cartoon Network episodes of Futurama? THe prequels to Star Wars???

First off, the prequel Star Wars movies were good. Expectations were too high and even though there was some janky dialogue and plot choices, overall I like them. But you're arguing against sequels altogether, which means we wouldn't have gotten Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi. Same with the CW eps of Futurama -- I still enjoyed them and would rather have had them than not.

As for Indiana Jones 4 and Godfather 3, you're right... Those are abysmal on all accounts. But their precursor sequels were great -- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was the highlight of the series, and Godfather 2 was far better than the first one.

But sequels... you named a few bad ones, but there are a lot just as good as the originals, or better. The Dark Knight, Aliens, Terminator 2, Star Trek: The Wrath of Kahn (among several other real strong Trek sequels, ie First Contact), John Wick 2, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Back to the Future II and III... And that's literally all I could think of in like two minutes of typing.

Point being, we can leave the series dead. Or we can revive it, which isn't a bad thing. A good sequel is just as realistic as a bad a one. :)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 12:41:41 am »
I think that if we go already thinking that a possible revival is going to falter... well, we might as well be jinxing it ourselves. How can we even know if it's never tried? True, that doesn't mean we can't give some concern over the issue... but it should not cower us from trying anyway.

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 02:17:37 am »
Just know that once 2020 arrives, it will be the 25th anniversary of chrono trigger. They could pull a seiken densetsu on us.  Hopefully 3D wont destroy it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 10:28:49 am »
It's funny, people wanted a Secret of Mana remake (myself included; it's my second favorite 16-bit era RPG behind Chrono Trigger). They got a 3D remake only - same gameplay, remastered music (some tracks with an actual orchestra), and sometimes-decent/sometimes-not-so-great voice acting.

And yet people are still bitching and moaning about it not changing up the gameplay and not overhauling it for modern times. Kotaku ran an article about it and flat-out blasted the game.

Had they changed the storyline or gameplay, there would have been an equal or larger outcry for changing the game too much and for "ruining an RPG classic."

Same goes for a Chrono Trigger remake in the same vein. If they remade the game with just a new gloss of pain and voice acting, you bet I'm preordering it. I don't need a reinvention or gameplay overhaul, although if they do that, I'm okay with it, too.

It's pretty much a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation. Don't change it and allow it to be graphical/musical upgrades, people will complain you didn't change it up. Change it up gameplay or combat-wise, people will complain for you having changed a classic.

Geez, internet outrage these days, amiright?. People get pissed off over every little thing. This kind of fuckery is seriously going to stop Square Enix from doing the same for other games, which I'd love. Bring me a proper FFVI 3D remake, a US release of Bahamut Lagoon, etc.

(Side note: Case in point -- Mass Effect Andromeda. Has anyone else played it? It's about as good as any other Mass Effect game, considering it's not part of the main trilogy. The story is fine enough to keep me moving along, although it's not anything reinventing the genre, especially considering it doesn't have the Shepherd/Reaper story to fall back on. The combat took Mass Effect 3's excellent system and added the ability to swap "classes" and a jump/hover pack mechanic. It also took the exploration via vehicle element that I loved in the first Mass Effect game and made it an even bigger plot point. It also took the "readiness points" element of Mass Effect 3 and applied it to the game. All in all a quality game. Not Witcher 3 good, but a damn good game. Sure, it suffered from day one bugs (as every game does these days) and some ugly character animations, but once again... That seems par for the course. It wasn't *that* bad. The freak out over it was frankly not warranted. I say all this because Mass Effect Andromeda took a very unfair beating. So unfair that EA pulled the plug on all sequels *and* DLC. The outcry was *so bad* they literally cancelled all other storyline DLC. Way to muck things up, people! This is why we don't have nice things. This is is how you stop companies from taking risks.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:19:09 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 05:45:35 pm »
I am so with you on this. Like you said, damned if you do and damned if you don't. I'm bummed that Chrono Resurrection never came to fruition, but I do completely understand. I don't know why Square didn't just hire the artists and put out the game. I would've bought that in a New York minute!!

I am also so tired with people getting offended over Every. Little. Thing. Seriously these days I feel like handing out pacifiers. Or diapers. It's soooo frustrating. I always have tried to be polite online but I'm starting to get sick of doing that when no-one else is. Sorry, rant over. LOL

Bottom line: I would love a remake, or a sequel. However I'm feeling like too much time has passed for them to make one and that makes me sad. You realize in 2020 Chrono Trigger will be 25??  :o :o :o

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 06:02:38 pm »
The moral of the story is people suck and we need more Chrono stuff.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 04:40:30 am »
I am predicting it now -- we will have *something* for Chrono Trigger's 25th. Although I don't think it will be a new game or anything of the sort.

Probably a remix album or a Chrono Trigger DLC character in another game.

Or perhaps just a tweet.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 06:43:37 pm »
Mauron: YES, YES, YEEEEEES!

Boo: I feel like these days they would just give us a tweet. Grrrrrrr. Of course, I would like to be pleasantly surprised!!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 10:13:37 pm »
I do hope we do get something on the 25th. I'd take at least a remake akin to what Secret of Mana got.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 02:37:09 am »
Yeah my friend just played the Secret of Mana remake, and those...like popup things with the characters in front of the screen taking over the background, whatever it is. Its very japanese, its not my thing. Last remake I played was Lunar Silver Star Story complete and it was like the CT remake, same game pretty much but loaded with some cheap anime videos. I think Secret of Mana's remake looks crummy, like a cheap Wii type game thrown together via a formula, and I'd hate to see Chrono Trigger get this cutesy-type remake. When they did Zelda 64, the old gamers like me (who played the first 3) hated it and didn't jump on board. If they remake CT, its gonna suck, as it was supposed to be a more serious type game, so if it ends up like the FF7 proposal, might be good, but if its gonna be n64 like with the chrono break, id rather they not do it. make a proper sequel.

PS Square you SUCK, cease and desist my nuts!

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 06:33:59 am »

Not to drag this off-topic, but I'd be willing to contribute to this.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 05:41:29 pm »
I made a topic on the battle sounds.