Author Topic: Just Realized Something- multiple Lavos Apocalypses  (Read 5171 times)

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Just Realized Something- multiple Lavos Apocalypses
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 11:33:55 pm »
One of my head canon Chrono fangame ideas (never to be realized) dealt with this. But whereas time is malleable in this Chronoverse and can easily be changed via time travel, the new universe would actually be fatalistic time travel, in that attempts to change time end up only fulfilling events that occur. The late-game quest would be to break the chains of fate that governs this version of time travel so that people aren't bound to this form of time travel. It would have also hinted at Lavos, with Lavos ending up being the big villain in a potential sequel.

This is an idea I would like to see realized.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 05:49:29 pm »
I actually have dozens of pages on it, including a partial script. I've tried to turn it into a television pilot and removed all connections to the Chronoverse, with mixed results. I've also considering making my own game in RPGmaker or something.

Essentially it follows a new universe with parallels to Chrono Trigger (ie, Ice Age, Middle Ages, Future, etc). It begins as the infant hero and his family are passengers on a steamship in 1400AD, when it gets caught in a storm and shipwrecks on an island. They turn the island into a Swiss Family Robinson-type adventure, and our lead grows up there - he is a fourteen year old boy named Blue - and his older teenage brother Redd try to build a raft to finally leave the island and return home.

They get caught up in a similar storm, Blue wakes up in the future (3000AD) with no sign of his brother. He ends up doing timey-wimey research, initially thinking he's on another world and not in the future, and ends up teaming up with a private eye and Toma Levine (who was able to avoid the destruction of the universe by being temporally displaces - long story).

Unlike the apocalyptic future of 2300AD in Chrono Trigger, this is a proper future in which there was no Lavos and no apocalypse. Mirroring Crono's discovery of the End of Time through a time gate, Blue and his friends end of discovering the Beginning of Time, which is literally the End of Time... but since this universe exists after the first one as seen in Chrono Trigger, it now exists after the death of the first universe but before the birth of this new universe. Thus the new name. Oh, and Gaspar is there, since the End/Beginning of Time technically exists outside of space-time.

They then end up traveling to the middle ages, meet an enigmatic old wizard you helps them and seems to know more than he lets on. After events there, Blue and company travel to the Ice Age, where a tyrannical war leader is trying to unite all the primitive tribes to conquer a isolated nation that uses the remains of mysterious, high-tech ancient nation. The war leader has a grudge against Blue and is hellbent on killing him, which appears to be without reason, despite the warmonger claiming it's out of revenge. Blue has clearly never met this man and is dumbfounded.

Eventually, Blue and his friends travel through time once more and finds himself in the year 12000AD... only to find him back on the island he was originally shipwrecked on. He learns that the storm that first destroyed their steamship was actually a spatial anomaly that hurled them into the far future, a time long after humanity has abandoned the Earth and lives amongst the stars. Blue and his friends end up traveling to a huge, dyson-sphere-like construct out in space and meets the human descendants of this era, who are emotionless husks rife with genetic manipulation, and their leader, a kindly young man called the Arbiter.

Blue and the Arbiter work together to build a time machine so that Blue and his family can return to their home time of 1400AD, but Blue also wants to fix the timeline hijinks he's created in his time traveling adventures. They build the time machine, not sure where it leads, and Blue, his friends, and the Arbiter (with a contingent of scouts/soldiers) go into it...

...Which sends them back to 100000BC, a time before humans evolved. Shortly after arriving, the time machine malfunctions. Blue and the Arbiter both disappear in the time explosion, rendering the rest of party stranded in this era. They quickly meet Redd, Blue's brother (who has been stranded in this era for years and is now a young adult), who becomes the party lead. They resolve to build a new time machine and save Blue. Meanwhile, the soldiers from the future find that they like the thought of starting over, and they begin to exhibit signs of regaining their emotions, so they resolve to stay in this era... and become the first humans. Thus, the first humans on the planet are from the future... and it's a cycle.

Redd and the party eventually work to build a new time machine and return to the Beginning of Time, still resolved and save Blue. Gaspar reveals that Blue is no longer a human -- his soul/consciousness has become lost in time and now exists as a strange spatial anomaly, the same one that has been helping them time travel throughout this entire adventure.

Through their events to try and save Blue, we also learn that the Arbiter, after the time machine disaster in 100000BC, was hurled to events just before Blue's events in the Ice Age, and that he became the tyrannical leader (albeit older) warmonger with a grudge against Blue (as it was Blue that ultimately convinced him to build the flawed time machine). Just to clarift,  events for the villain of the game and the events of our heroes are not in alignment.

While in the Ice Age, they witness the tyrannical leader (remember, who is actually just an older version of the Arbiter) once again time travel, this time thrown and stranded in the Middle Ages... where he ends up growing old and turns out to be the kindly wizard who helped the party (as he'd eventually lost the anger in his heart against Blue and wanted to right the wrongs of his past).

They then realize that they cannot save Blue's body, as time is a constant and cannot be changed. However, they can pull his consciousness from the anomaly at the moment the anomaly phases out of existence, in the year 3 million BC. They then journey to find three Gurus (which are the reincarnated souls of the Three Guru's from Chrono Trigger) to build a Chrono trigger / time egg, the only item that can save Blue.

They also learn that souls are recycled from universe-to-universe, which is how/why these three guru's exist in the new universe. The Melchior of this universe was a man who ironically invented weapons of mass destruction, there is no Gaspar in this universe since he exists outside of space-time and thus his soul was never recycled, and they learn that the Balthesar of this universe is actually the Arbiter...

...who is also Blue. They recruit him, and despite having been a villain in his midlife, he is now a kindly old man and joins the party. They finally travel to 3 million BC and save Blue, where we have a final major reveal. It's revealed that Blue and the Arbiter/kindly old wizard are the same person. When the time portal malfunctioned in 100000BC, Blue's soul/consciousness became the time anomaly, while his soulless body was flung into the future. Without a soul, he was an amnesiac, soulless, and comatose but eventually became the Arbiter. Thus, it's all technically the same person (but Blue has a new body identical to that when he first became a disjointed consciousness). It is also confirmed that all the time traveling in the game was the events of Blue as the timey-wimey consciousness, who has ulterior motives in putting all these events in motion...

Oh, and if you aren't clear, Blue is essentially Belthasar's soul recycled. As a kid. So your hero is kid Belthesar. Bahaha!

Realizing that all of this was ordained and their destiny, the party enters the third act in a way to break the Chains of Time and allow mankind to reclaim destiny and the right to choose their future. It gets crazy metaphysical, Spekkio makes an appearance, and  the journey ends with a visit to the Crypts of Time (which is essentially the Darkness Beyond Time, except it houses the remnants of previous universes rather than the remnants of discarded timelines). They also realize that this will enable a multiverse -- instead of their only being one universe at a time, in a constant cycle of death and rebirth, the broken links of the chain can allow for an infinite number of universes... including allowing the original Chronoverse to be born back into existence.

They manage to do so and save the day. The End.

In an epilogue scene we see Blue, now quite a bit older, living peacefully aboard a space-station in 12000AD. He is studying time travel and the multiverse, when a Lavos spawn crashes into the planet below. We learn that Blue has been expecting this day, as the Arrival of Lavos was expected.

A tentative sequel would have followed Blue and new/old friends traveling through time in a new age of mankind (so mostly post 100000AD but in a new time calendar) trying to stop Lavos from destroying the planet. It would also have explored Lavos' timey-wimey pocket dimensions capabilities, making him a threat that transcends not just the planet, but in not-such-an-esoteric-way as the Time Devourer from Chrono Cross. It would also have had more of a sci-fi/fantasy feel akin to the Star Ocean series.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:07:44 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 06:38:06 pm »
That is a well thought out idea. Mine usually get a page of hand scribbled notes and forgotten about.

Blue and Redd are colorful names. :P

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 10:30:47 am »
And that's just the lite version, hahaha... I think it could still work as an ode to Chrono Trigger if I ever got off my ass and decided to build something like that.

But yes, there was definitely a theme there with the names. Blue has blue hair, while Redd has red hair. Go figure. I played with color themes while writing it, hahaha... Also, while Blue is the reincarnation of Balthesar, Redd is the reincarnation of Crono.

There were also a few other characters...
-Pugg, a Kilwala-esque creature that is the reincarnation of Marle;
-A Blade Runner-ish replicant bio-android called Arana that is the reincarnation of Lucca;
-A warrior monk from the Ice Ages that is the reincarnation of Ayla,
-A blacksmith-turned-soldier and widower that is the reincarnation of Slash

Plus Toma Levine joined the party, as did Magus (who has also crossed over into this universe in his pursuit of Schala). Magus would also have played an antagonistic role, seeking any means necessary to recreate the original universe and return home. But eventually he would see "the big picture" and resolve himself to helping Blue and company break the chains of fate. Like in Trigger, he'd have been the final character and a powerhouse.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 06:35:44 pm »
Is there a Frog reincarnation somewhere?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 10:59:47 am »
I had intended to put him in and alternated Slash and Frog as one of the characters. I tried to flip some expectations and that was one of them. You expect this Frog-esque warrior to be Frog, only to be a former villain in the previous universe.

The Magus/Janus of this universe is stuck in the year 3000AD and is working as a noir-esque PI. He initially arrived in this era from the previous universe and, seeing that it's the future, found himself a fish out of water and his magical abilities stripped away (initially, but he gets them back during the story). He became a PI in order to make ends meet and try to find a way home, and his partner is actually the reincarnated soul of Frog/Glenn. Eventually, Magus/Janus turns against the characters and becomes a villain intent on doing whatever is necessary to return home, while the Frog/Glenn character is the one to bail the heroes like.

I tried to shake things up:

The Marle soul in this universe is still a princess... but she's a Kilwala-esque creature that doesn't speak in full sentences and is obsessed with makeup and glam.

The Lucca soul in this universe is a "robot" in an of itself, rather than a human sympathetic towards robots like in Chrono Trigger.

I actually just re-read my notes and I even say that I'm not sure, or finalized. I specifically have certain characters unaccounted for, haha and non-finalized.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 11:33:08 am »
Sounds  8) idea just do it  :wink: