Author Topic: Was Crono Supposed to Die?  (Read 5878 times)

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Was Crono Supposed to Die?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 01:45:12 pm »
I remember reading once that Kato planned to have Crono die for good. I finally found the source.

Originally, Chrono Trigger writer, Masato Kato, wanted to keep Crono dead. To continue the mission, the party would actually have to recruit a younger version of Crono. But Square deemed it too depressing and requested that the rest of the story be written in a way that he can still be saved.

Is there a source for that, however? Some interview with Kato that I'm missing where he addresses this?

Anyhow, I figure that, if true, this could be good justification as for why Crono appears to be dead in Radical Dreamers; i.e., it's how Masato Kato wanted it, and being a "spin-off" he didn't have Squaresoft looking over his shoulder as closely.

I'm not surprised. Kato in general took a darker, more somber approach to the story. iirc Kato was responsible for the Zeal arc, in which the main character is killed and an entire civilization is destroyed. He was also a major influence on Chrono Cross, a game which completely lacks the upbeat character of CT.
Oh my... don´t get that... sorry.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 07:18:00 pm »
I'm not surprised. Kato in general took a darker, more somber approach to the story. iirc Kato was responsible for the Zeal arc, in which the main character is killed and an entire civilization is destroyed. He was also a major influence on Chrono Cross, a game which completely lacks the upbeat character of CT.

I agree with you about Chrono Cross. I do like it, but like you said, it just lacks the upbeat character of Chrono Trigger. I'm glad the game ended the way it did and that you could revive Crono. That would've really sucked if you weren't able to. I'm sitting here thinking about it and I can't imagine Chrono Trigger without being able to revive Crono. The thought makes me feel sad.  :(

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 12:17:31 pm »

I agree with you about Chrono Cross. I do like it, but like you said, it just lacks the upbeat character of Chrono Trigger. I'm glad the game ended the way it did and that you could revive Crono. That would've really sucked if you weren't able to. I'm sitting here thinking about it and I can't imagine Chrono Trigger without being able to revive Crono. The thought makes me feel sad.  :(
Yeah... again good points.