Author Topic: Let's talk about food....  (Read 5060 times)

Atharyne

• Iokan (+1)
  • Dream more... work less.
    • View Profile
Let's talk about food....
« on: July 20, 2017, 01:44:57 pm »
Yes, the topic of the different foods in the Chrono Series may not be as exciting as say, "The Mystery of The Dead Sea." Never the less I am fascinated by the different locations and foods that would be eaten in these regions. Chrono Cross was what first sparked my interest but my curiosity has since spread to Chrono Trigger as well. I'm also gathering information to make a Chrono Series inspired cook book. Why? Eh, I enjoy cooking and the Chrono games so might as well put the two together and see what happens. Any thoughts? So let's begin....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:26:54 pm by Atharyne »

Atharyne

• Iokan (+1)
  • Dream more... work less.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about food....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 01:48:25 pm »
1) ZEAL

It's hard to say what exactly the people of Zeal's diet would be. The people of Zeal are scholars and really focus on the aspects of advancing their knowledge even through dreams. So they probably had a diet that consisted of food that enhanced cognitive functions. Clean eating. Now, if the people of Zeal slept for extended periods of time they would also have to have a diet that could maintain their health for these extended periods. Would they before going into one of these sleep states eat in bulk high calorie foods? Or focus more on keeping a clear mind and go on a body cleanse right before and then while in the sleeping state be given liquid nutrients on an IV drip like someone who is in a coma?

The people of Zeal would want to spend as much time sleeping or studying so food preparation and  presentation would mean little to them. It would become more of a burden having to take extended amounts of time to focus on meals. Even though they would have clean eating habits it most likely would just be in the form of some liquid smoothie and it would be consumed only once or twice a day. They most likely would be vegetarians because protein from animals would be rare due to the issues with limited space to raise livestock. Protein most likely came from plants. Also, tea beverages are probably popular with helping to calm and focus ones mind.

2) ARNI VILLAGE

Fish... Lots of fish. Why? it's a small fishing village that probably isn't rolling in much dough. I'll go into more detail later on with this and the other area's.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:55:13 am by Atharyne »

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 07:56:56 pm »
Apparently Guardia had a real thing for jerky...

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:22:37 pm »
Medina Imps love cake

Also I always found interesting that they had refrigerators and stoves in 1000AD, from a technology standpoint. But now I wonder what kind of diet they had too, and as ThatGuy pointed out it's obvious they're quite carnivorous. As for what they eat exactly, the only thing I remember is in Arni they make Heckran Soup.

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:51:27 am »
That does bring up another question of where exactly they were with technology in 1000. Thermodynamics for refrigerators, but Crono still uses a katana.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 03:20:13 pm »
Do we know for sure that they're refrigerators and not iceboxes? The latter are much lower-tech. (And I'd bet that the earliest working refrigeration systems in the real world were created based on empirical observation, without any understanding of thermodynamics. Humans have this habit of figuring out what and only then trying to figure out why. ;) )

As for Chrono cuisine, don't forget Skelly's favourite squid gut pasta. The "squid guts" part is more plausible than the "pasta" part, when you think about it--the ocean in El Nido should have plenty of squid, but pasta needs grain, and I don't remember us seeing any large cultivated areas.

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 12:47:38 am »
Wait a minute, there IS a Food page in the Compendium. Lots to go on in there.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 03:26:08 am »
One time I challenged Lucca and Ayla to drink some poi and got SO SICK. The human body's appendix is called a vestigial organ, and I think its purpose was to digest that crap.

I think it used to be a gizzard.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 03:53:52 pm »

What gave it away?  :P

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 04:47:01 pm »
Too bad the Eyes Cream never catched on.

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 02:37:29 am »

What gave it away?  :P

I think it was all the jerky...