Author Topic: Favorite Part  (Read 1624 times)

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Favorite Part
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:58:09 pm »
I'm curious what everyone's favorite part of Chrono Trigger was.

For me, the first time through, it was 600AD, the war with Magus chapters. I loved Frog, I loved that time period (medieval times in general, I mean), and everything about it. Zeal was really up there too. Now I think it's flipped. Schala/Janus, the floating islands... amazing stuff.

Not that I didn't like it all. Although Ayla's time and story... that always fell a bit short to me, not sure why. (Still good though.)

What about you?

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Part
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »
Actually, I have to add one thing... The whole blackbird sequence? That one I could have done without. Dalton was lame anyway, but running around in air ducts, the fourth wall breaking that wasn't funny... Ehhhh... They could have had a side quest for Ayla instead!

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:44:36 am »
Some people have speculated that an Ayla sidequest was planned at one time, and then cut for space or pacing reasons, leaving only the unused Singing Mountain track in the soundtrack as evidence.

As for my favourite part, well, I'm a Magus fan, so I kind of have to bring up the ending known as "What the Prophet Seeks". ;)

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 01:40:01 pm »
I read in an article exactly that: there was no space left for Ayla's side quest. And as lame as Ayla's story/dialogue was compared to the rest, I still think it would have been better than the Blackbird sequence.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:06:13 pm »
The Blackbird sequence was mainly a convenient way for the Epoch to gain wings at the point in the story where they're needed. The worst part of the sequence for me was the ease with which Dalton captures the party.

I would have loved for Ayla to have her own sidequest, but she really does shine in the Blackbird due to being able to fight without having to sneak around to recover her stuff. It's a small consolation.

I don't think Ayla's existing story or dialogue are lame though. Your second visit to 65,000,000 BC is during one of the most pivotal moments in history: the arrival of Lavos and the downfall of the Reptites. And although Ayla's speech is primitive, it belies her wisdom; she has some of the deepest insights of all the characters.

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:32:59 pm »
Yeah, but for me it kept from connecting with the character. I don't so much bemoan the loss of her sidequest (and I'm sure it's not a random chance that hers was the one cut) but I'm just saying, that Blackbird was the lamest part. I could have written a better reason to make the thing fly.

Still, don't get me wrong, it wasn't THAT bad. (Except the I'm-afraid-of-heights thing, and the fourth wall breaking music thing.)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 02:03:58 am »
Going up the sky gate to Zeal. As soon as you walk out to the world map the first, time, hear that music, realize you're on a floating isle...there is simply no comparison. Then you step into Enhasa, and...

The End of Time for whatever reason had already sold me on the game being incredible, but Zeal impacted me.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 09:51:47 pm »
I'm curious what everyone's favorite part of Chrono Trigger was.

For me, the first time through, it was 600AD, the war with Magus chapters. I loved Frog, I loved that time period (medieval times in general, I mean), and everything about it. Zeal was really up there too. Now I think it's flipped. Schala/Janus, the floating islands... amazing stuff.

Not that I didn't like it all. Although Ayla's time and story... that always fell a bit short to me, not sure why. (Still good though.)

What about you?

For me, the most exciting moment was defeating the Dragon Tank, then immediately having to escape and jumping into an unknown time gate and ending up in the future. Those 10 minutes or whatever are so incredibly well-paced that it felt electric the first time I played. It was so exciting! That was what really elevated this game for me from interesting to "This is something really special."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:54:21 pm by Lord J Esq »

kolt54321

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 11:02:40 pm »
I was a big fan of 2300 AD. The tone and just hope of people in that era was powerful to me.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 11:10:20 pm »
God, this is a hard question to answer. There are a lot of moments that stick out to me as really "wowing" me at the time.

In all honesty, there was so much I missed in my first playthrough. I missed the Prehistoric Hunting Grounds entirely, missed one or two sidequests, and spent literal hours at the Millenial Fair spamming the games to rack up SP.

The part that probably stands out to me the most, however, is the events surrounding Arris Dome. Traveling down into the basement, catching the rat (which took me forever), and fighting the Guardian boss (which also took multiple attempts) were really awesome.

I remember my excitement in having defeating the Guardian (finally), then traveling into the final room only to find a corpse and boxes, one of them broken open. I specifically remember the fog in the air and a spinning air conditioner-type fan against the back wall. When I found the seed and then returned it to Doan, I was excited beyond all reason.

You know how Arris Dome has sort of an "S" shape path before you reach the main area with the inhabitants of the dome? I went to the part in the middle, just below Doan and the others. I remember pushed the up button so Crono ran against the invisible wall, and he sort of shook his head no like he was giving an inspired speech. I ended up doing just that; out loud, I gave the people of Arris Dome a homemade speech about life and hope and, in my eleven or twelve year old mind, thought I was hot shit.

Good times!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 11:18:06 pm »
I was a big fan of 2300 AD. The tone and just hope of people in that era was powerful to me.

Yeah. If I ever did a PG-type hack again, I wanted to go back to 2300 A.D. somehow, like traversing a destroyed timeline or something. Purple armageddon. The attached image just makes my mind run wild.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 11:38:12 am »
For me it's all about 600 AD. I absolutely LOVE that time period.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 05:23:16 pm »
One of my favorite parts is actually the final battle against Lavos. After a tough fight with the Lavos shell and then Lavos itself, with the awesome "World Revolution" playing, the creature just ... transforms, into a humanoid no less. Then your allies are hit with the realization that Lavos has simply been harvesting life for eons. And when that riff starts playing, indicating the final battle now begins... Dang. It's just epic all around.

That trumpet sound still gives me the creeps, and I swear a remake would use something even worse.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 05:35:13 pm »
I know exactly what you mean! I remember the first time I got to Lavos.... the music is just incredible! I do love to swap characters at that portion of the game to get different dialog. The best (in my opinion) is Crono Marle and Lucca... although Magus in the mix is pretty cool too!