Author Topic: Chrono Compendium... Is the end near?  (Read 11048 times)

Atharyne

• Iokan (+1)
  • Dream more... work less.
    • View Profile
Chrono Compendium... Is the end near?
« on: July 08, 2017, 02:55:25 pm »
I've been visiting this site for over 10 years and doing extensive research about the Chrono Series one day dreaming of making my own comic or novalization. But, then I saw all the Chrono fan made games. I then decided that I would make my own game and find a way to also have it made into a SNES game so I could play it and add to my other collection of Chrono Games. But, then Square Enix sent out the C&D letters to the fans who tried to fill in the gaps of the Chrono Universe by making fan games especially since Chrono Break apparently wasn't going to happen. But, this left a lasting impression on me. I am determined to make my own squeal to Chrono Trigger and Cross!!!! So I am here quite often but with ZeaLity's post earlier this year about the Chrono Series and the community being in it's twilight years it's caused me to panic that any day now I'll come to this website and it will be gone. After the web site security had expired or something like that I started to create  hard copies aka printing out the Chrono Compendium encyclopedia sections and am going to create an actual book or books depending on how many pages I'm working with. I'm so excited about this project. I'm honestly just doing this for me alone in case this site ever does shut down. If I ever finish this project i'll try to post pictures but it will be awhile. How much longer will this site be here? I'm I wrong to worry?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:59:47 pm by Atharyne »

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Compendium... Is the end near?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 06:49:57 pm »
iirc Zeality said that if activity completely stops, the site will become a cold archive. but that won't happen while there's still a small amount of life here (which there is). I wouldn't worry so much.

there are programs like wget and sitesucker which create offline backups of entire websites. if you want to back up the compendium, that would be more efficient.

Atharyne

• Iokan (+1)
  • Dream more... work less.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:13:46 am »
True, it would be much efficient. Even though we live in a digital age I still trust having hard copies over digital ones. And I think a book collection of all the Chrono encyclopedia info from this site would be pretty damn awesome looking!!! Sigh, I really do love this web site but I've just never really been active in the forums until now.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:04:29 pm »
As long as our small community is still active, sounds like it will continue on. Ironically, there are many members that remain silent, like yourself, and do not post, unfortunately creating the illusion that it is deserted, when in reality, that's not as true as it appears. I'm not trying to point fingers, just shining light on the fact.

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 04:07:53 pm »
An actual, physical Chrono encyclopedia? Count me in. I'm willing to translate the whole thing into Spanish if there's enough interest.

Unless Squenix is secretly working on a new game I doubt that interest in the series would be renewed. At most, new players will be looking more for actual info (aka, Chrono wiki) rather than analyses and interpretations on its subjects. For me, this is the true value of the Compendium.

This could be the site's big final project. There's no copyright infringement involved, right? ;)

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 09:38:49 am »
One beautiful thing would be that all of the fan art could be included (with proper credit and citation of course).

Some of the artwork I've seen is magnificent. Would be great to have it printed, especially on high res photo paper.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 08:54:44 pm »
An enduring legacy of the site? That does sound like a nice idea...

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 12:23:12 am »
Man, I'm really feeling like I came to this place to late...

Zaulche

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:13 pm »
A printed copy would be neat, albeit less feasible for some.

A digital copy however would be something that everyone on the forum could participate in and own a copy of once done. If we made it something that can be shared (such as Google docs) we can even do updates every couple of years with changes to the information. Then we could have volumes and editions like a real compendium.

I think everything on here not directly related to anything in the game is covered under fair use. They can't Cease and Desist our thoughts and musings. Fan art is usually safe. Anything related to the games worked on is probably a no-go, thought I feel they should at least get a mention.

HadesKane

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • End of Time MUD
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 01:41:13 pm »
I've been paranoid about the site going down, too... I've been meaning to do a siterip for a long time now... just in case, but never remember to actually do it.

I visit the site weekly (there are some times its a near daily visit for me) but don't post much... maybe I should post more?

But I've been working on my own "fan project" for a long, long time (I've posted about it before, its a Final Fantasy / Chrono series based MUD [Multi-User Dungeon - text based, online, multiplayer RPG] but it will never really ever be finished... MUDs don't ever really ever get "done" as its essentially a perpetual project you ALWAYS add to, expand, develop, etc.) and this site has been an absolutely invaluable resource for me.

Even if I siterip, I'll still visit the site just as much, my offline backup copy would just be a backup.  I don't know if it really matters if the site receives "hits" or not, but with as useful and valuable as the site has been for me over the last several years, I'm happy to "give back" in any way I can.

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 07:38:33 am »
For those interested in doing this: https://www.httrack.com/

Another good thing is to upload the whole website in a compacted format (zip, rar, tgz) to archive.org. Those guys did an awesome work in this subject.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 03:20:10 am »
I'm glad I'm not alone. I just joined but this seems to be THE place for anything CT related. Had I known about this ten years ago I'd have joined up too. I'd be willing to help backup things. I'm not a computer expert anymore, I write fanfics (some upto 100k+ words), I can reedit and edit over and over, I love organizing, I'm a master auto mechanic by trade, and have the efforts to script or novelize ideas for any sequels or anything semi-canon. If any of these skills could help just let me know. I'm not an 'idea' guy anymore, but I can write. I'd also be willing to help (financially if need be) to making hard cartridges of Prophet's Guile or Crimson Echoes (im told the CE cart in red doesn't actually finish cause its too big for the SNES chip?)

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 04:58:06 pm »
I'd also be willing to help (financially if need be) to making hard cartridges of Prophet's Guile or Crimson Echoes (im told the CE cart in red doesn't actually finish cause its too big for the SNES chip?)

I think the only way you could get CE/FoE or PG on a cartidge would be via SD2SNES (the one which allows you to play a ROM on a physical SNES using a SD card inside the cartidge, plus it have some "enhancement chips" embbeded, like MSU-1).

FYI, since the devs still havent answered my question, and other members became reluctant to use discord, i created an english-speaking server of my brazilian fanclub on Discord. Its mainly the worldwide counterpart of this: https://discord.io/chronomaniafc_en If you want to chat, feel free to enter.

Oneida

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 11:01:57 am »
Well, I’m new here, but I was getting a Bad Gateway error about an hour ago too. But let's not just panic ahead of time. In addition to digital age issue maybe some board promotion would make sense. It could help to get new members. I like Chrono series and I’ll try to make a small contribution in adding to my 17 analytical essay topics​ one about Chrono and its concept and creation history but I’m not sure if this unique essay could touch any expert in college lol

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 01:23:11 pm »
Well, I’m new here, but I was getting a Bad Gateway error about an hour ago too. But let's not just panic ahead of time. In addition to digital age issue maybe some board promotion would make sense. It could help to get new members. I like Chrono series and I’ll try to make a small contribution in adding to my 17 analytical essay topics​ one about Chrono and its concept and creation history but I’m not sure if this unique essay could touch any expert in college lol

This post 110%! Welcome too, by the way!