Author Topic: Extensive interview with Square devs about FF7 and Square history  (Read 2312 times)

Pa

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
https://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

A bunch of Chrono devs are included in the interview, such as Sakaguchi, Kitase, Nomura and Naora.
Very interesting and revealing stuff.

Now it's very clear why the company is not the same anymore and never will be again.
I didn't know Sakaguchi influence was that big.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Extensive interview with Square devs about FF7 and Square history
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 12:40:54 am »
Thanks so much. I'll get this in the Interviews section and announce. What a incredible read, too...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 01:13:21 am »
I'm pissed I missed this until just now. I'm a big fan of both Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII.

Interesting to note that staff from FFVII were moved to wrap up Chrono Trigger. It's also interesting about the testing done with the N64DD. I remember the FFVI tech demo Square made for the N64. I assume that's moreso what they were referring to?

Either way, fun read.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 07:37:48 pm »
They didnt mention CT a lot, I was told there was something about the beginning stages of CT, like Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger were started as one game, some wanted a zelda-like game, some an RPG like FF, and then it split, which is why Randi and Crono...and Marle and Primm look so similiar, cause they were the same people. And Chrono Trigger was supposedly to be for a CD, and the game was detuned heavily at the time (as evident of the size of the ROM file, CT is one of the biggest size-wise games on a super NES cartridge)

by the way, finishing that article, i read it over 2 days, its LONG. A good read, it made me appreciate well designed games with old fashioned hard work, made me like microsoft less, made me like square-enix less, and it shows with a narrowminded political structure of a modern company scared of taking risk, that the FF7 remake took THIS long, unless you can get the rights and get an investor to find sakaguchi, toriyama and mitsuda, no way are we gonna see a chrono trigger remake, haha.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:14:56 am by Redline57 »