Author Topic: The nature of SFC rom included in Final Fantasy Chronicles  (Read 2081 times)

Fortranm

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Is the "bonus" SFC/SNES file included in Final Fantasy Chronicles supposed to be identical to the rom of vanilla Japanese Chrono Trigger on SFC? This page (https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/PSX_ROM_Notes.html) doesn't quite answer this question.
I found a rom named "Chrono Trigger (J) (PSX Version).smc" online and tried to run it on an emulator. It turns out the texts are glitched. Is this the supposed behavior of the "bonus" file?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: The nature of SFC rom included in Final Fantasy Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 12:30:30 am »
I believe it's used to reference some of the data that wasn't copied elsewhere.

Fortranm

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:46:56 am »
It seems the rom with glitched texts is from the US disk. ROM.BIN from Japanese disk is actually identical to SFC Chrono Trigger rom. I wonder what changes were made to ROM.BIN for US release.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:59:03 am »
Probably just stripping the text, from what I see. Not sure why they did that, but anything loaded from the ROM shouldn't need to be changed.

Rjenyawd

• Iokan (+1)
  • ..but time flows like a river, and history repeats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:17:31 am »
This actually kind of reminds me of what SE did with the FF6 IOS/Steam port.  When you open it up and look at the files, you can see that the game itself is actually running off the Japanese GBA rom and just uses an internal system to overlay the new graphics and text calls. 
Because of the shortcuts they used to port it, a bunch of the GBA FF6 mods work on it.

...If this is the case with the FFC Chrono Trigger SFC, (running it's base off the CT SNES rom) then we may be able to apply SNES (non-script/graphic) mods to the playstation edition.