Author Topic: Cleaning up spam  (Read 6083 times)

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
Re: Cleaning up spam
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 07:02:11 pm »
I dont know what is Schala's proposal, but someone is with me to start a sub on Reddit? The spam get so problematic, and i dont think anyone is willing to replace the entire forum CMS.

Maybe a reddit sub plus a github-powered site to store the wiki would be good enough.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 11:10:03 am »
Question: is the akismet mod installed on this forum? If not, it might help.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 01:14:28 pm »
I'm using KeyCAPTCHA on an SMF 1.0 forum elsewhere and it's really done the trick for me. It's not perfect, but it's turned the flood into a trickle. Not sure whether it's compatible with the current forum software here though.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2016, 07:23:29 pm »
If only a buddy of mine hadn't tried infecting Hillary Clinton with ransomware and fled to Mexico, I'd be having a lot of fun with his services right now.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2016, 05:00:52 pm »
There are better, more modern forums that we could use which would help reduce the SPAM problem, but migrating all the posts, accounts, groups, etc. would be a real pain.

Given the low participation rate in the forum, it may be better to relaunch the forums/community portions of the site using more modern software and provide a read-only archive of old forum posts.

This would be ideal. The only thing that you should even attempt to migrate as far as the forums go would be user accounts and perhaps a few stickies.

Also, greetings after a decade!

If only a buddy of mine hadn't tried infecting Hillary Clinton with ransomware and fled to Mexico, I'd be having a lot of fun with his services right now.

He sounds like the hero this country needs, but does not deserve.