Author Topic: Lavos Theme Extended?  (Read 1765 times)

psychedelist

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Lavos Theme Extended?
« on: March 31, 2017, 09:57:38 pm »
Does this version actually play at any point in the game? It has an interlude which is very different from the main theme, can be heard at 1:20.

I could have sworn I heard this when playing the SNES version two years ago and trying Ocean Palace Lavos challenge on New Game. Now I search for it in videos with actual gameplay, play the game myself, and can't find it anywhere. Different sources say different things. Someone said it only plays at Ocean Palace battle, which matches with my own memory of it. Chronocompendium's entry says opposite, stating that Ocean Palace battle has the short version, whereas the full version is in a cutscene and "the final battle". The Bucket/Black Omen? Just tried using the bucket, it plays short version (after all of the "attack modes", obviously).

Can someone enlighten me please? Is this version present in the game at all, does it play at any point? If it does, then when? Is it console or region dependent? Does it depend on things you do in-game, such as side quests, etc?

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Lavos Theme Extended?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 11:26:00 pm »
I haven't confirmed this yet, but after dumping events in Temporal Flux (so I can see all the times the song state change command is used), it looks like the full theme is only used under very specific circumstances. Namely, visiting Lavos with the flightless Epoch.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:28:13 pm by Vehek »

psychedelist

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 09:03:08 am »
It does play there indeed. And it's probably just the dialog while they're still sitting inside Epoch, not actual battle (didn't check the battle). Thanks a lot for helping me to figure this out.

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:50:13 pm »
I'm pretty sure I heard that version when playing the original game, fighting Lavos...

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 07:02:28 pm »
Interesting to note that every time Lavos' theme plays in the DS version, it's the full version with this interlude.

I feel kind of relieved hearing it's not usually played, because I only actually heard the full version a few years ago when I downloaded the soundtrack.

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:22:07 pm »
Now I can't remember offhand because I'm old. Does that part play if you get a game over against Lavos? I know you get the game over interlude if you lose in other battles, but I can't remember if it held true for Lavos, and I died against that creature's forms more times than I can count.

Either way,  given that the interlude is the game over theme extended and bridged into the main Lavos theme, I can understand why players may mistakenly remember hearing this theme when playing on the SNES.