Author Topic: Lavos Thinkings....  (Read 3656 times)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Lavos Thinkings....
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:33:21 pm »
Ok, so I'm hoping this makes sense because it did when I was thinking about this on my drive to the gym this morning. LOL

So as we know, Lavos is a parasite of the largest kind, where the planet is his host.  Now, if I remember from Chrono Cross correctly, Lavos was actually guiding the human race and the planet was guiding the reptites, as they cared more about the planet than humans. So are humans also parasites of the planet? Just something I was thinking about today.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Lavos Thinkings....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 04:35:43 pm »
I always had the impression that Lavos was the distinctor.

In the Reptite/Dragonian timeline, Lavos never fell, and thus the Reptites never died off and evolved into the modern-day Dragonians. Their evolutionary path allowed them to evolve as one with the planet and they were in perfect harmony with the planet and nature itself.

Meanwhile, in the normal timeline, Lavos descended and destroyed the Reptites. Humans evolved as the dominant species and were ultimately at odds with the planet, were parasitic in nature, utilized technology to manipulate and control the planet... which may have been because mankind was "corrupted" by Lavos, their evolution guided by Lavos' intervention.

For example, compare the Terra Tower, which is the Reptite dimension version of Chronopolis, or the Dragon God AI, which is the Reptite dimension version of the FATE AI. The Reptite version were more organic in nature and were - in the case of the Dragon God - a literal elemental construct, compared to the completely artificial FATE program.

In the end, I do agree that humans are parasites of the planet... but I don't think the planet has forsaken humanity. After all, the Entity directly guides Crono and company to stop Lavos and save the planet (and the future), and it's implied that this Entity is actually the planet itself.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:41:49 pm »
I think they certainly didn't started that way. Lavos certainly had a hand with the "transition". The Kingdom of Zeal harnessed the planet's energy before switching to Lavos's. I think that may have been the changing point, since before that, they kinda were on the same path as the Reptites of the Reptite Timeline. But most likely even before the switch they had already been changed somewhat by Lavos's meddling with the planet's evolution.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 08:22:06 pm »
I want to thank you both for your replies. I was hoping I wasn't sounding like an idiot. LOL

I really like how you explained it Boo, because I haven't played Cross for a long time so I was hoping my thinking wasn't on the wrong track. I do find it interesting though that the very beings Lavos chose to guide end up destroying him.

I was thinking about this because I honestly feel this is true in real life. I think the planet would be better off without humans. I seriously wonder if we are a planet parasite to be honest sometimes and that got me to thinking about Lavos.

Thank you both for your thoughts and input!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 02:14:43 am »
Off topic but related, consider the constant "dream of the planet" that is referenced in Chrono Cross. What is that dream? Is it the conscious realm of life (as in, is all of human consciousness and this universe just part of some sort of metaphysical planet-dream)? Is the planet's dream naturally-occurring intelligent life?

...and how does Lavos corrupt it?

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 07:06:21 pm »
I like this question!! I will admit, I have never quite understood that. I would definitely love to hear more information or theories where this is concerned!