Author Topic: So, what IS the Black Wind?  (Read 8122 times)

Scintillating_Void

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I don't know.
    • View Profile
So, what IS the Black Wind?
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:46:33 pm »
Hi I'm new here but have been lurking for some time due to the blocking of new members.  Hi y'all!

After going through some CT fanfics and musing a lot about the Chrono series lately something kept bugging me.

Do we know what "The Black Wind" is?

Some things to consider:

-It seems mostly Magus can feel it, but Schala mentions feeling it too.
-Is it just a metaphor for disaster or an actual thing that Magus feels? Is it related to his Shadow affinity?
-Does it portend disaster or death or both? Is it related to Lavos?

Some fics have brought up some interesting theories.  I remember one where it was the sound of entropy, wherein Magus always felt a background wind from the natural state of the universe slowly decaying.  Another is that it is some kind of spirit of doom that for some reason shows itself mostly to Magus only. 

In RD, Magus/Magil seems to have harnessed it's power-or at least make a spell that seems like it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: So, what IS the Black Wind?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:23:17 pm »
Definitely open to interpretation, but I think it's a sort of quasi-energy that very few magic-users can utilize or even feel, and even then it's limited to Shadow-users. It's probably a feeling of omen, a precursor to bad things -- something akin to the ebb and flow like the Force from Star Wars.

So I think you're spot on with your considerations.

That being said, fan fiction runs amok over this, so there are a lot of interesting theories out there (none of which are backed up by canon, however).

Scintillating_Void

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:08:42 pm »
What theories have you run into in fanfics?

Personally I'd have it as a form of wild shadow energy felt mostly by those psychologically attuned to doom and despair-hence why Schala could also feel it a bit but Magus is deep in it.  Maybe it targets those that will be involved in some kind of temporal shenanigans involving grief.  Maybe they were touched by the essence of the void or some shit like that.     

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:29:15 am »
I remember in one it was the ability to feel and feed from the Darkness Beyond Time.

In another it was a shadow dimension (and home to the Golems that Dalton summons) that can be harnessed by certain powerful Shadow-users. The dimension itself is conscious and desires to consume our own universe, so it "uses" Shadow users to try and find itself into our world, possess a suitable host, and consume our world.

In another, similarly enough to the above, the Golems come from some sort of parallel-but-different universe. In that universe they are humanoid, similar to humans (but with pointed ears) and have societies that rival our own. However, the Black Wind allows Shadow users like Magus and Dalton to pull individuals from that parallel world, whereas they are transformed into grotesque beasts upon reaching out world. Magus' attunement to this ability -- the black wind -- is what made him grow pale, have pointed ears, and red eyes, as his overuse of the black wind is slowly transforming him into one of the denizens of the other world. The Black Wind, in that theory, was that it was the ability to pull from this other universe.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:43:51 pm »
 :)

That being said, fan fiction runs amok over this, so there are a lot of interesting theories out there (none of which are backed up by canon, however).

Where these fanficts can read, if them at somewhere already published?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 03:36:03 pm »
It's been years since I've read any Chrono Trigger fan fiction (we're talking almost twenty years -- I don't think I've read any since about 2000AD). I feel like some of them would have been at the old IcyBrian site.

One of the theories is also from Chrono Shift, which is still a WIP.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 01:44:00 pm »
Oh, i think it was yours ...  :oops: .

Anyway... my selft think that these words put Janus said because... these picture him... are it just eng side think?

Michael Zeal

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:23:49 pm »
My thought is that the Black Wind is the wind that blows from the Darkness Beyond Time. It is an omnipresent force in the Chrono universe that whispers omens from beyond time to those receptive to it that let them know when extraordinary dangers are close at hand. Only the Zeal royal bloodline possesses the power to hear the Black Wind, but Kid can't hear it due to her magical powers being dormant and Queen Zeal become deaf to it when she became enraptured by Lavos's power.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 12:45:31 pm »
So it was just... natural think?

Michael Zeal

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 03:02:00 pm »
So it was just... natural think?

Well, as natural as a seventh-sense can be, at least (aura sensing being the sixth) :P.

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 09:35:58 pm »
You know, it could be the power of Lavos he's detecting.

Zaulche

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 07:19:32 pm »
If I recall correctly the only character stated to having the aura/scent of the black wind is Crono.

The main thing unique about Crono is what transpires with the Chrono Trigger. Many time travel but I think he is the only one that is removed from time itself (though I suppose that is open to interpretation on what the Chrono Trigger actually does).

In that regard I thought it was Janus sensing that Crono no longer belongs to this existence, or something else space-time related.

Edit: Changed Krono to Crono. My apologies if that caused confusion.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:33:37 pm by Zaulche »

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 11:45:06 am »
Why do you keep spelling it with a K?

Zaulche

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 03:32:19 pm »
Apologies if that bothers you. I can edit it. I wrote it out of habit.

Most people pronounce Crono as Chrono. In that respect, phonetically, Krono makes more sense to me, so I used that instead of Crono when there was a 6 character limit.

You are correct though, Crono is the default so I should be using that.

Scintillating_Void

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 08:18:14 pm »
If I recall correctly the only character stated to having the aura/scent of the black wind is Crono.

The main thing unique about Crono is what transpires with the Chrono Trigger. Many time travel but I think he is the only one that is removed from time itself (though I suppose that is open to interpretation on what the Chrono Trigger actually does).

In that regard I thought it was Janus sensing that Crono no longer belongs to this existence, or something else space-time related.

Edit: Changed Krono to Crono. My apologies if that caused confusion.

Janus tells Schala that the Black Wind is howling, and she says she feels it too.

It seems to be something that some people are sensitive to, some kind of omen (or was this added by Ted Woosley?).  It might be something unique to shadow users(does that mean Schala is a shadow element user?).