Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: SNES vs. DS soundtrack (for Famitracker port/cover)?  (Read 1560 times)

jimbo1qaz

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Reposted at https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=87956&page=1&pid=1397981#p1397981

I'm planning to port/cover Chrono Trigger World Revolution in Famitracker (N163). Which version of the soundtrack (World Revolution in particular) is better, SNES or DS?

- Notes (score)?
- Volume mixing?
- Instruments?
- The SNES echo and synth lead are better, naturally. I found a way to approximately simulate the lead.

I ripped World Revolution using vgmtrans. I noticed that the DS version has some simulated echo (quiet 16th notes) in the organ section, and some delayed instrument doubling. Maybe I should replicate them in the Famitracker cover.

Also, the DS World Revolution has some prominent extra notes at 0:36 (I checked with vgmtrans, they're organ). I like them. Are they accurate?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:01:43 pm by jimbo1qaz »

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: SNES vs. DS soundtrack (for Famitracker port/cover)?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 12:52:10 am »
You have to take into account the echo effect applied by the SNES's DSP, which apparently they replicated manually on the DS like you mentioned there. I'd say the "most accurate" it's the original of course, but I guess you'd have to take inspiration from both sources if you want to get the best sound.

Also, few questions... Why the Namco expansion? How many channels are you going to use? Do you want to make a 1:1 version or a proper adaptation?