Author Topic: ChronoTrigger+WorldRevolution  (Read 7688 times)

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
ChronoTrigger+WorldRevolution
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:00:09 am »
ChronoTrigger+WorldRevolution
The final version of ChronoTrigger+. Let's get it done!

Greetings and salutations all.

Perhaps some of you remember me from the old days of Kajar Laboratories working on this project "ChronoTrigger+ Eternal End" -- an mega extension of classic with enriched dialog, extra-epic cut scenes, new areas, etc...without 'adding anything out of place', with areas that 'looked like the fit seamlessly into the game'...and more!

I was surprised to see this forum still exists...

First off, I'm still with it(somehow, ha ha).
I'm looking for a few volunteers for completion, (it's been 11 years! lol).

We require:
Preferably those with ROM hacking expertise for bug-fixing, minimal knowledge of TemporalFlux is required(or at least the willingness to learn it)

Someone who can help write a plugin for a 12MB ROM (it's huge!), double the index(and repoint) of locations, events, monsters and item lists. Yes, I'm serious.

I've put this off long enough, and it's time to get it done (or else!, haha just kidding)
I've had thousands of hours of joy and...just great fun modding and expanding this great game(just to see what I can fit into it)...

I've made a new thread for this project...(since it wouldn't let me upload the files for the latest version). Ah well. Here is the version from jan 2013, should be fine. Let me know if there's any problems.

Patch notes (jan 2013)

This is the last "pre-pre-final" version.
Next version will hopefully be at "pre-final status"
After that, I'll work on the "pre-pre-final" of Act2 so we can get testing!

Dialog:
Yet AGAIN, I've added and tweaked more scenes here and there.
Something I've done for every version. So much has been done that it's a moot point to list all of them.

Battles:

Epic battles tweaked and balanced.
Enhanced AI and spell cycles for most all enemies and bosses.

I still haven't tested a brand new game (I always use + for testing so I can get through everything quickly), so stats might not be totally balanced yet. If you use a NG+ from the last version of Act1. It should be fine. I haven't messed with the items yet either.

I *did* however, fix the Blue Imps at the start so they're not uber strong.

Bugs:
Fixed many bugs...too many to list here.

Ocean Palace Lavos scene finally fixed after being broke for ages. (pun intended)

Things to look out for:
======================

--all these and bugs will be hopefully fixed for the pre-final of CT+Act1.

Enhasa books are still broken, presumably the secret room is too so don't bother warping in there.

Kajar:
Teleporter room isn't added (the new room to the right or below Magic Labs) so take care not to enter.

Secret room works, just make sure you pay attention to the puzzle, after using the "blue spark" watch where the red one appears.

Library--didn't find any bugs here, but it's so huge that I could've missed them. You can easily spent 20-30 minutes reading everything in that place as there're alot of books. The submissions people made to the old school Kajar Labs at the 'Compendium are there. ;)

I probably misspelled some stuff, so keep your eyes peeled!

Take note as the secret passageway is broken so you still have to enter the Zeal Throneroom through the main door when going to the Ocean Palace.

For some reason I couldn't upload...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/23f5qbtpakbvaxr/CT__1.21.7z

Anyways, post bugs here, I'll get a crew going on bug-fixing.
I would love to get this done soon, I need to get it off my head.
It's been hell not finishing this and just 'sitting on it'.

Working on this project brought lots of joy and was loads of fun, would love to give back to the members here(by completing this) as thanks for all their works then, and the kindness bestowed unto me when I was just a 'noob' at ROMhacking.

~Z
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:19:00 am by Zakyrus »

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: ChronoTrigger+WorldRevolution
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 03:44:37 pm »
If someone gets the expansion done to enemies and items, I can upgrade my plugins to handle them.

The problem will upgrading the game to handle these new indexes. You'd need an extra bit for anything in the new set of data, and would have to rewrite all the routines that handle loading things.

You're also going to wind up with issues with the event editor, because existing event code can't check this new bit. Maybe find some safe space in RAM to use?

Expanding events and locations would probably cost you Temporal Flux support - maybe if any expanded events and locations were out of sight with the Custom Data feature, you could use the regular editor to work with them in the short term.

12 MB ROMs go beyond what plugins can do - What we see is the ROM provided by Temporal Flux.

Sailor Phantom

• Porrean (+50)
  • I am Sailor Phantom of Middle Earth!
    • View Profile
    • Sailor Phantom's DA
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:16:05 pm »
I was so confused when I saw the notification in my e-mail and crazy excited after I clicked it. So glad to see it's still alive!! WOO HOOO! :D

If I knew any kind of rom hacking I'd love to help, but sadly I have ZERO skills. :(
I can still Beta test it though. Is there a separate forum to put the results of bugs and such?

Sailor Phantom

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Sailor Phantom's DA
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 03:30:41 am »
Well for the first time ever I got the orange screen of death after saving at the inn at 600AF in Truce. :shock: Thought that might be important since I didn't see it in the notes.
Also when I went to talk to Lucca's mom before the fair, the game froze but the music kept going.

Sailor Phantom

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Sailor Phantom's DA
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 01:54:52 am »
So here are some bugs and errors I've found thus far, with screen shots. In no particular order.

The orange screen of death I spoke of that appears when staying at Truce inn at 600AF after Marle disappears again.

I can walk through the guy.

I can walk through Lucca's dad too after Marle disappears.

That is as far as I can go yet I was able to loot the chest.

Yakra's new form is truly terrifying!

It also switches to a equally distorted sprite of Queen Leene during the transformation and occasionally during battle.

The 'n' is cut off.

The new sighscope, it sighs in relief.

The only time so far it's done this is in the Denadoro mountains.

There should be room for canyons right? But it appears in the next part.

Four centuries years ago.

The lady lied, there is nothing in the tree

I walked away so they were out of view but when I came back they changed color, twice.

They changed back once I walked away and back again.

The boy disappears once the portal appears.

Then reappears once the portal is gone... the boy is the portal!!

So that's all so far but otherwise I am LOVING the changes and additions. Crono's dialogue reminds me of Frog's a bit but that's a nit pick. ;p

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 12:21:37 pm »
This actually looks pretty interesting, but since I'm currently working on a similar project I'm afraid that if I look more into this I'll end up copying some of your ideas.

Sailor Phantom

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Sailor Phantom's DA
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 06:13:43 pm »
So another bug that causes the game to stop.
Going down this path goes to the new cut scene with Magus after defeating him(after Crono's dream) then when it's over to a black screen with prehistoric music playing. And Nothing else happens. Nevermind. After waiting a while and trying a different passage in the extended Kajar room, it does the same thing but then I am able to continue with the party I had. Except it is after Lavos fell and then the levels go weird too.

I don't know why Crono's name is gone, he, Robo, and Lucca are different levels, and it still saves as 'Unnatural Selection?'
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:43:02 pm by Sailor Phantom »

Sailor Phantom

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Sailor Phantom's DA
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 02:28:47 am »
So I got through it and here are the other glitches I've found.

I took a lot of pics to I figured it's be easier to link the album I made than to put them all here and clutter the thread more than I already have. XP http://s608.photobucket.com/user/SailorPhantom/library/Chrono%20TriggerPLUS%20World%20Revolution Some are obvious while others are misspellings or glitching rooms and a spot. I'll point the less obvious ones out.

Ayla should not be saying 'hurry up'. The 'up' is the problem as the speech doesn't fit for cave people.

Talking to this guy send us out of the room. Weird.

The spot below Crono sends the party into the wall.

And there is no way out. You are stuck.

The room beyond the entrance glitches to this.

When Dalton brings Schala back, Queen Zeal says, "Glad of you to join us." It should be "So glad of you to join us."

Nitpicks here for me... Magus's dialogue feels a little too villainy or heavy at times. As are the reading people's thoughts gets a little much. Crono feels a little heavily like a savior of the universe than our strong pure hero.

The rest is in the album and should be easy to see.

Otherwise, WOW! That is some extra stuff you got going!! Love a lot of the changes. The extra scenes to help give the story more depth! Crono talking!! So much more to explore and read! Little pokes and explanations are awesome too! It's quite a lot of work you've put into it and it shows! WOW!

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 08:12:14 am »
When Dalton brings Schala back, Queen Zeal says, "Glad of you to join us." It should be "So glad of you to join us."

I think you mean either "So nice of you to join us" or "Glad you could join us". Given the speaker, I would advise using the former.  </20_CLAWED_GRAMMARIAN>

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 01:44:08 pm »
Having had so much help with my project I learned how to do alot of stuff,  if you need some help doing bug fixes I could probably give you a hand.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 03:44:28 am »
Having had so much help with my project I learned how to do alot of stuff,  if you need some help doing bug fixes I could probably give you a hand.

That would be great. I never said this was close to perfect. As for the bugs, at some point we'll prolly have to make a list of "bug-fixes remaining".

One huge problem I noted before was, with Temporal Flux importing, it shifts all the indexes(indicies?) of data every time...after a large amount of location/location event imports, data starts to 'go to shambles', hence the '3 different ROM segments'.

I'll try to keep up, I'm actually trying to find a slightly newer release (that had some of these listed bugs fixed, but I'm not sure where that went...)

~Z

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 09:34:12 am »
I just spent a week struggling with that problem,  even with the newest version it persists, there are possible solutions but you won't like them.

Solution one
1: Take a new rom, expand it in TF then import as many changes as you can( while making backups)before it corrupts (things to check frequently are over world exits, double and triple techs in the menu, shops and examine your items)

2: when it gets full and starts corrupting take note of what it corrupts, make  a copy of the rom, then make some changes you don't want until it corrupts the rom the same ways as importing.

3: then take an IPS patcher and use your corrupted rom as the original file and the copy just before the corruption as the new modified file, and save it as an IPS patch.

4: import more stuff into the rom (as much as you want as long as nothing new is getting corrupted) then just apply the IPS to revert the corruption and unwanted changes)

Solution 2 was suggested by Mauron, I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but TF has the custom data option ( it's under the window tab) that lets you pick exactly where you want to store data in the rom, this won't help if your rom is already corrupted, and I don't know if it works with importing, but certainly when adding new data this is absolutely the way to go.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 12:31:59 am »
Very good. I was going to suggest this, as I've done it before.

When I get a chance in the next few days, I hope to upload the entire .exports file set, so that if this happens you can just re-import locations as needed.

~Z

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 05:37:10 pm »
Here are all the exports (as current as I know) for the entire(I think?) ROM exports.
It was intended until we could get all of it in one ROM image, to import them in 3 segment ROMS. (change the "disk" by changing the zsnes save file names--don't use save states for the transition).

Some of the tools and plugins are very obscure, and hard to find. I have an extensive (and rare collection I gathered). It would most likely help this modding community to have copies(I'll upload the tools later on). Mostly required is the TF exports.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/efq917rx5loybh9/CTPLUS_EXPORTS.7z

Enjoy, I used to be 'super-secretive' (and over-protective) about giving these files out. I'm glad to be able to share them with this community. If you like you can make a copy of the folder and 'fix the bugs' (personal OCD versions, yay!) then save into a (we'll have to make a community save collection so that the original version of CT+ pre-final goes untarnished.)

You might have noticed "WoW"-like quest turn-ins, particularly with the fair. I was going to cluster the game with these 'reputation-like areas'(where their shops upgrade). Generic shops also upgrade as you progress/NG+.

Some things later on, aren't finished yet of course. (such as Crono's lvl80 quest: 'travel to 4 elements and be 'blessed' by their energy(and the extra uber-LAVOS scene if you do), or Ayla's 'Searing Chasm' quest in the Valley of Giants. Also, Ozzie's Manor is due for an overhaul...I'll post the details on that later if anyone is interested, should be easy to do.)

I'll post more when I get a chance.

~Z
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:45:08 pm by Zakyrus »

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 05:34:02 am »
Ozzie's Manor (looking for someone to map this)

So here's a layout of an example possibility of what I was hoping you guys would work on (if bored) not that I *can* do this myself, (in 45-60 mins or so) I figure since some members signed up for mapping or to assist, I'd put out a homework assignment. This isn't required of course...

It should be cake, (copytiles 'rooms' from other locations--so that you don't have to manually set the properties and worry about layer problems) and re-arrange the scenes by (copying "mini-segments" ...like a couple tiles or small group from other locations)

then start on the exits (import 'Events' from blank rooms from a general location to prevent crashing if using a new/blank map(or something like Event file for 'Gato" for humor))

Check the included image...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/av519g65vlm8f11/ozzies_manor_example.bmp

The overall idea is for me to add a "search and find"-like game using text and 'searching' things like bookshelves, etc... and "find door to the hidden treasure" (Magus's goods and more+) that Ozzie stashed.

There will be some kind of "diaries" journals etc in the study that points to other clues, etc. (like which lever to pull if you find a textbox that says "there are several sets of levers...which ones to pull?"
'first, second, third' (which way) 'up, down, middle' ("nothing happens" or (randomized solution)"you pulled the correct lever, passage opens.

The prison has a cell you can "fall in" if you walk off the conveyors (the door is unlocked and switch doesn't work) but the switch for the cell next to you (door is closed) and lever also "doesn't work" (doing something elsewhere will open it) allowing you to fight (repeatable fight, but with a re-spawn "timer") an optional boss.

I was thinking of having 'side-rooms' in addition to the long hallways of Ozzie's Manor. The side-rooms, would be rooms like Kitchen(Middle Ages Houses tset), Study(Manoria Chapel), Shrine(also Chapel graphics), a small prison cell area in the basement (perhaps a 'trap' in several of the other rooms will send you down here, there may also be a mini-boss in the other cell--you can fight it, IF you can figure out how to open the cell door.

You won't be able to access the side-rooms until after Ozzie is defeated (which will give that spooky/abandonded feel)...yet like Viper Manor, there'll be "wandering enemies" and random if you encounter them or not. (I always did want to have an area in CT that actually does have random battles in a sense)

Somewhere in these areas will be a very special treasure that will aid you in your fight against Lavos somehow.

~Z
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:41:46 am by Zakyrus »