Author Topic: Was Crono Supposed to Die?  (Read 5950 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Was Crono Supposed to Die?
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:05:18 pm »
I remember reading once that Kato planned to have Crono die for good. I finally found the source.

Originally, Chrono Trigger writer, Masato Kato, wanted to keep Crono dead. To continue the mission, the party would actually have to recruit a younger version of Crono. But Square deemed it too depressing and requested that the rest of the story be written in a way that he can still be saved.

Is there a source for that, however? Some interview with Kato that I'm missing where he addresses this?

Anyhow, I figure that, if true, this could be good justification as for why Crono appears to be dead in Radical Dreamers; i.e., it's how Masato Kato wanted it, and being a "spin-off" he didn't have Squaresoft looking over his shoulder as closely.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Was Crono Supposed to Die?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:00:08 am »
Hmm... don´t thinked that... oh my ...

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 09:03:36 am »
I don't know.
But it does sounds reasonable and less cheaty than using the time egg.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:04:09 pm »
It's from the CTDS Ultimania Kato interview.
Incidentally, the idea that I had at that time was for Crono to really die, and the others would have to go back in time and enlist a version of Crono from the night before the Fair. Then after the final battle they would have to return him to that point in time and bid him farewell. But that idea was rejected (laughs). They said it had to be a happy ending, so we eventually settled on the story with the clone as it is today.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:26:34 pm »
Hmm, I suppose even if they were allowed to have used that idea, it would still have been scrapped. Except instead due to the issues that would arise of having a past version of Crono join the party. Both in story and gameplay and stuff. Who knows.

On the other hand, perhaps the fact saving Crono isn't exactly mandatory may have been their "Crono remains dead" compromise.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 10:06:42 am »
Strange question on this topic though.

If Chrono was dead and a past one was needed, would they still need the time egg? Possibly not, therefore no "Chrono Trigger", and therefore, different title altogether.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 10:11:06 am »
It's possible the Chrono Trigger might've still been used, but for something else. Of what it is and its purpose might've changed.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 12:52:24 pm »
hmm... with or without but i kill spy... lets ...

So, What is use clone´s before that?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 10:13:45 pm »
Well, the character clones already had a use, in that you can interact with them to change their pose and hear the characters' themes. Most likely getting a Crono clone would just be optional like the rest, instead of required by the storyline.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:24:16 am »
Or are it was after after all? Who knows?

Only way get not is overpowered group, but without any status imp thinks it was too hard...
so...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 02:58:23 pm »
So if Crono originally wasn't intended to die...

...where did the Chrono Trigger come in? The whole focal point of the item is that it's used to saved Crono. Was it still a conceptual item there, used at a different time or for a different reason? Or was it invented (and thus the namesake followed only after it was decided Crono could be revived) after the fact?

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 06:50:19 pm »
My biggest question about the concept of retrieving younger (pre-Millenial Fair) Crono has more to do with gameplay than the actual story: what would the developers have done about him being knocked back to experience level 1?

It would kind of defeat the purpose of reviving your strongest character if he lost all his strength in the process. And this younger Crono wouldn't even know the rest of the party besides Lucca, which would thwart reviving him for sentimental reasons as well.

Perhaps the Chrono Trigger was originally meant to transfer the older Crono's memories into the younger one's head? So that he'd regain his previous level and rapport with the party?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 08:36:25 pm »
I would think that was another reason it got changed.

Hmm, transfering the memories and stuff... that would've brought quite the interesting consequences once he was returned to his own time. Unless the CT would also be used to remove all that beforehand. Still fascinating to think about.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 02:59:49 pm »
^ Anyway, Only way wich i have win that Lavos was one these new games+,
It need also 3 status keepers, so, Are Crono suppose are looking at near at others get Lavous out? Or are there Lavos original anywhere that that one was kill Crono?

And isn´t Crono was about 40-50 when it dies, back level 1... Oh my :( . Best way is get others  get exp so long at crono at back it 30+ levels... and try something good exp place?

Hey... what is Death peak past then? Was it originally?  (although it one (difficult get) place was good exp take place... ). What i was used get enough level at these side missions...(Nds).

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:56:35 pm »
You have to be careful with speculating. We don’t know how early into development that proposal was, and how many of the familiar elements had been conceptualized, whether from the final game or even the pre-release.
From the pre-release text translations, we know that by November 1994, they had already started writing the text for receiving the time egg from Gaspar, so presumably most of the revival quest details (other than Belthasar) had been settled by those final months.

Hey... what is Death peak past then? Was it originally?
At one stage of development, there was no Death Peak. At least, that’s what a note in the untranslated Dream Team interview from the V-Jump Player's Guide says. I forget exactly what I read through Google Translate, but that section had Toriyama talking about how he didn’t follow directions and drew a fire sword instead of an ice sword, and a mention there weren’t any snowy mountains in the game. I should dig up my partial transcription so you can see for yourself.
Edit:
From page 151
イラストと同じ場面をゲームの中に作るのって大変じゃなかったですか。

坂口:構図は多少変っちゃいますけどわ、イメージとして、このイラストをゲーム画面にしたらこうなるだろうなっていう形で連想できるレベルまでは近づけました。森なら森の背景を描くときに背景のデザイナーの目の前にそのイラスト貼るんですよ。で「最終的にこのシーンが作れるような森にして」っていうオーダーだったんです。

鳥山:逆にそれが足かせになっちゃったりしないですか。

坂口:ただ全部のシーンじゃないですから。全体の1/3くらいですかね。この雪原がね、ちょっと難しいんです。雪山がないらしくて。
(※対談の時点では死の山は存在しなかった)

鳥山:これはわ、注文と逆にやっちゃったんです。本当は「氷の剣で」って注文だったんですけど、剣はもともと氷みたいなものですから、氷にするのは難しかった。だから逆に炎にしちゃったんですよ。
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:38:32 pm by Vehek »