Author Topic: God, I Miss This Place  (Read 20382 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: God, I Miss This Place
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2018, 05:10:46 pm »
I'd say, getting the chance to work on such a project, if it happens, would be quite cool.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2018, 06:08:00 pm »
The key is consistency. We need this flurry of activity to keep going, both as a motivational force and as a means to legitimize the work.

Crimson Echoes was done in quiet off and on for years, and hackers familiar with Temporal Flux are a dime a dozen.

Just some things to consider.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2018, 12:01:35 am »
Welcome back to the party, Z!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2018, 08:00:26 pm »
This forum, this community, and the time I spent in it, will always hold a special place in my heart. I've never seen a fan community like this one, before or since. And though I very rarely check in any more, I hope you're all doing well, wherever life has taken you.

Wow, I somehow missed R_D posting the first time around. One of the absolute day-1 originals with Ramsus, me, Ybrik Metaknight, and In...Ing...I want to say Inosanto, but it's not...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2018, 04:17:47 am »
Member List by Date Registered is like a trip down crazy lane...er, memory! I'm not sure if the person you're trying to think of is there though, ZeaLitY...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2018, 08:25:29 am »
R_D = Radical_Dreamer

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2018, 01:02:21 am »
I've been avoiding the site because the last time I was here, I had successfully brought a fan project idea to a couple of old users, and I had a secret forum going, and we were all set to fucking do this thing—and as luck would have it I started busy season and my first really serious relationship—and the whole thing just got abandoned.

It's embarrassing, yeah. I made a pledge in April to contribute something to the upcoming Dream Splash, and then I looked away for a minute, and suddenly it's the middle of May and I haven't thought about it since! Life is the ultimate B, by which I mean "Busy," the true B-word.

But hey. I've been humbled enough times over the years that I'm used to losing face. Most of it grows back, and the scars are just conversation pieces. It's one thing to fail to live up to our own standards for ourselves, but that's a personal thing. Meanwhile, most people around us are just happy to see us, even if we goof up like fucking peasants and don't turn in our sugar cube cathedrals on their due date.

I cannot fucking deal with it. I know, if I really tried, there'd be another ROM hack in me. I've matured so incredibly much since Crimson Echoes—just imagine if we were firing on all pistons! Some kind of ultimate mix of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Radical Dreamers; imagine us pushing the ROM to its absolute limit of capacity, using everything we've learned; imagine us claiming the mantle of the concept of Chrono Break...

Yes we do have another hack in us. And it's very appealing to imagine giving the Chrono series the sendoff it deserves.

Naturally I'd be on the story team (because of course I would), but I'd like to think the art team would come calling frequently, too, after my outstanding, award-repelling contributions to Chrono Comix. ^_^

It would be that magic point at which we could finally declare victory over the unfinished legacy, over the whole thing that got us in here in the first place—pouring every last viable idea we have into it! UGH!!!!

That's our ZeaLitY!

Of all my closer friends over the years, only three are even remotely still in touch with their grandiose dreams of Springtime: myself--and that comes with many asterisks; the former Compendiumite Syna, who just completed her master's degree and is still on track to become a professional writer; and another close friend of mine (a former girlfriend, who was never a Compendiumite), who loves horses and still owns her own business working with them. Everyone else who is now or was once dear to me has settled into an ordinary life, having made peace (or been forced into resignation) with giving up their dreams in favor of something more practical. This isn't to say that they're not happy (though some of them aren't), or successful financially (though some of them aren't), but, simply, that they traded in their grander dreams for the aspirations of home and hearth and stable careers. And some of them have made peace with that, and some of them, like yourself, haven't.

I am in this category.

If so, then that's awesome! You deserve the hellish heaven of caring, like few artists do!

That is the springtime of youth—worshiping the satisfaction of curiosity more than the comfort of the familiar. And it unfortunately never ends—if it did, it would lose its meaning to begin with. At some point I can only hope my dreams become bacchanalian and less tied to my own validation.

Well said.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2018, 12:44:10 pm »
The Radical Dreamer mirror world concept is still out there. In whatever vague sketches of a new chapter I've had, I've retained that idea from you, although you presumably hold the full details of what you'd planned for its scope.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2018, 03:06:45 pm »
The Radical Dreamer mirror world concept is still out there. In whatever vague sketches of a new chapter I've had, I've retained that idea from you, although you presumably hold the full details of what you'd planned for its scope.

I'm curious about his, Lord J! What sort of ideas did you have in mind?

I keep coming back to this idea of doing a Compendium wide-Aegis project (which could go underground if necessary). Every time I dip my toes in the water I pull it back out. Part of the problem is time, part of it is direction.

Interquel? Sequel? Gaiden/Side Story? Alternate universe?

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2018, 06:05:00 pm »
I have also wondered what direction to take. So many options! I have thought it would be cool to have a whole game around the Fall of Guardia. But then you already know I'm rather fanatical about that. LOL

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2018, 10:47:20 pm »
I have also wondered what direction to take. So many options! I have thought it would be cool to have a whole game around the Fall of Guardia. But then you already know I'm rather fanatical about that. LOL

Yeah, this got me thinking and I HAD to create a new post to see what others thought would be a fitting concept for another Chrono game.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2018, 01:06:39 am »

I'm curious about his, Lord J! What sort of ideas did you have in mind?

[...]

Interquel? Sequel? Gaiden/Side Story? Alternate universe?

Ah, yes! My Radical Dreamers story. I haven't thought about it in quite a while. However, I still have all the old documents. I actually wrote many notes and even did some early story chapter outlining!

It's a gaiden, focusing on the character Merkid, who was mentioned only in passing in RD:

Quote from: The Mystery of Merkid Manor Story Outline
General Merkid was once an Acacia Dragoon Deva under General Viper, a wealthy Porrean governor. Viper stole an artifact called the Frozen Flame from Guardia Castle in the chaos of that kingdom's collapse. Another Porrean aristocrat, Lord Lynx, learned of this and befriended the General in hopes of getting to the Flame. He ultimately succeeded, as, in 1012, with the help of another Deva, Radius, Lynx killed Viper and most of those in his power structure, taking Viper's mantle for himself—and the Flame, too.

Merkid escaped, along with her young nephew Artie and the goblin Kirsik. They made their way toward Regiorra, but didn't get far: Instead, a red rift in the air opened up directly before them. None of them had ever seen anything like it, and it wasn't similar to Lynx's magic at all. It was something else entirely. It waited there for them, patiently, and eventually they decided to step into it. They emerged in the forest near the town of Greanst.

Most of my ideas for external projects have long since been absorbed into my proprietary works, though I do still hold out hope of eventually writing that Fat Celes Final Fantasy VI fanfic one day.

That said, I do find Merkid (or at least my idea of her) to be an extremely compelling character, but I don't know how much energy I would want to put into actually creating the story today, unless it were a part of the one feature-scale Chrono project I would absolutely work on: a worthy Chrono Brake to give the series the sendoff it deserves!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2018, 02:07:09 am »
It's a gaiden, focusing on the character Merkid, who was mentioned only in passing

I challenge you write a short story about Merkid for Dream Splash. I'm serious. Only do a chapter, one small chapter in the overall story you have in mind. A small slice that is content to it's own story, but could easily be fit into the larger mythology you've dreamed up.

If you sit down and write 1000 words, you could easily manage that in two hours or less.

... Fat Celes Final Fantasy VI fanfic ...

Now that's something I'd be interested in reading. That is so out there I'm intrigued. I must know more. Is it like a story about Celes being young and overweight (before she gets all fit and skinny as a magitek knight or whatever the hell she was)? Is it an alternate reality where events play out differently because she's large and in charge?

I must know these things.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2018, 03:22:12 am »
It's a gaiden, focusing on the character Merkid, who was mentioned only in passing

I challenge you write a short story about Merkid for Dream Splash. I'm serious. Only do a chapter, one small chapter in the overall story you have in mind. A small slice that is content to it's own story, but could easily be fit into the larger mythology you've dreamed up.

If you sit down and write 1000 words, you could easily manage that in two hours or less.

You're right. I could probably do it. I also, however, have so many other, arguably worthier creative demands on such a tiny amount of available free time that, conscientiously, I have to decline. I am just on the cusp of being able to finally work again on my central projects; I can scarcely afford any diversions right now, no matter how much I might like to.

And sadly I've never been one of those types of prolific writers who can churn out a bunch of stuff, switch hats, and immediately churn out a bunch of different stuff. Some people can do it but I never could. My creative work is always a difficult birth.

... Fat Celes Final Fantasy VI fanfic ...

Now that's something I'd be interested in reading. That is so out there I'm intrigued. I must know more. Is it like a story about Celes being young and overweight (before she gets all fit and skinny as a magitek knight or whatever the hell she was)? Is it an alternate reality where events play out differently because she's large and in charge?

I must know these things.

Hah, yeah. I think I may have mentioned this in the Compendium way back when, but I'm very much an activist for fat acceptance and body positivity more generally. I'm also fond of fat partners and being fat myself (even though I have generally failed to actually get there over the years!). So it comes up a fair amount in my creative work, in a variety of themes.

The fanfic I have in mind is what I would bill as a definitive sequel to FFVI. So many fanfics--basically all of them--that tried to do a FFVI made the same mistake: They tried to outdo the antagonism of the original. They tried to make a bigger villain than Kefka. Or they tried to bring back magic and propose an even greater conflict surrounding it. And all of that stuff was doomed to fail. You're never gonna outdo the FFVI storyline in the FFVI universe, just like you're never gonna get a better Star Wars villain than Darth Vader. FFVI isn't something that needs to be topped or outdone.

Instead, what I think is the fertile ground for a sequel is to consider that the end of FFVI was unwarrantedly jubilant. People were so delighted when Kefka was defeated. The color palette turned green again. Hope was restored. It was as though the world had healed.

That's not even remotely realistic. When empires fall, and when something as consequential as magic fades from the world, and most definitely when the world is ravaged by a natural disaster, the recovery is extremely long, bloody, and grim. Kefka ruined everything. Cultures were uprooted, generations of people were wiped out...the social order than most of us depend upon for our very survival was utterly ravaged. Our heroes in FFVI liberated the world from a malevolent tyrant and force of chaos and destruction, but even that is child's play compared to rebuilding a broken world full of desperation, scarcity, poverty, incompatible opinions, and competing priorities.

So my idea for a FFVI sequel focused on the weight of oppression that came to settle on our heroes in the years following their victory. I figure the story would pick up roughly twelve or fifteen years after the conclusion of FFVI, and would center on Celes, the commander of the military of the largest remaining power in the world (Figaro)--a society with some semblance of normalcy compared to how things used to be, but nevertheless a land constantly wracked by internal upheavals, famine and sickness, and crime, and by external attacks, raids, pillaging, assassination plots, and even the occasional war. As a surviving general, instilled with great military knowledge--perhaps the most knowledgeable surviving military leader on the planet--she would have been virtually forced to take up the sword once again, if not personally then as a leader.

Celes' happy ending in FFVI was to find acceptance--to "be loved" as opposed to Terra's happy ending of being the one to do the loving. People like that never truly achieve their sense of belonging. Their odyssey never ends. Even with Locke, and the support of Edgar and Sabin, Celes would have continued to be a lonely and withdrawn person, incapable of truly bonding with the world, because it's simply not in her nature the way it is for most of us.

I figure Celes would have gotten comfortable over the years, physically speaking, no longer having to fight to survive. But she would have remained aloof and seeking, and the stress of running a constantly besieged and under-funded military would have taken its toll, as stress eventually will do on anyone.

I've also intended this story to lack a comparable epic plot to FFVI itself, because, after all, the original can't be outdone. I want to focus much more on a handful of characters, and especially on Celes herself, who was always my favorite. I want to know and to tell her human story in this grim world she's found herself in.

This is where the "Fat" Celes angle comes in. It would be very clever if I were to say that the fat angle is a metaphor for the weight of oppression on her, and I'm sure one could argue for such a metaphor based on what I've already described. But that isn't actually where the idea comes from. Rather, my thinking is--as it often is for this stuff--that we don't permit fat characters to exist in our storytelling very often, unless they're old, villainous, intended to disgust, or intended to be comic relief. This is especially true of female characters. It's very rare to get a fat female protagonist. I want to increase the representation of a large demographic of our society--people who are legitimate and have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness like all the rest of us, regardless of how many rolls of flab they carry.

Celes was always beautiful to me, and that wouldn't diminish (in fact it would only improve) if she were very heavy. Moreover, she's a natural candidate to be one of those people who fills out: a former athlete and military veteran whose physical labors and toils never ended. Many people like that end up getting heavy when they inevitably slow down later in life. We can also infer from her character design in FFVI that she appreciates luxury, refinement, and indulgence, which could be modified easily enough into a strong appetite. And of course, on top of all that the stress of living in this wrecked world, and running a constantly on-fire military in a country whose very survival remains tenuous, would certainly lend itself to some stress eating (and so in that respect we can say that the very clever metaphor is at least a little bit applicable). Hence, fat Celes.

I envision the story beginning with an assassination plot against the Figaroan royalty. Celes, who over the years has become overly comfortable and timid, and has always remained insecure, is so big and unfit that she can barely get around the palace, and the fear of the assassin being loose somewhere therein, and Celes being helpless to defend herself if she should be made a target, terrifies her, which in turn inspires her to stop living in fear and take back control of her life. And from there the story truly commences, to reveal the answer to the great question of what happened to her, Locke, Edgar, and some of the others after the end of FFVI.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2018, 10:55:52 am »
And sadly I've never been one of those types of prolific writers who can churn out a bunch of stuff, switch hats, and immediately churn out a bunch of different stuff. Some people can do it but I never could. My creative work is always a difficult birth.

Wait. You're a writer? That's your career? I know your first name IRL since others have called you that, but we never really crossed paths much back when you were active. Now I have to hunt you down and read some of your stuff.

I envision the story beginning with an assassination plot against the Figaroan royalty. Celes, who over the years has become overly comfortable and timid, and has always remained insecure, is so big and unfit that she can barely get around the palace, and the fear of the assassin being loose somewhere therein, and Celes being helpless to defend herself if she should be made a target, terrifies her, which in turn inspires her to stop living in fear and take back control of her life. And from there the story truly commences, to reveal the answer to the great question of what happened to her, Locke, Edgar, and some of the others after the end of FFVI.

I think this is a fun take on the post-FFVI landscape. Because you're right; the world is never this black and white realm of sunshine and rainbows. Empires crumble and there's chaos and strife; new empires rise up and replace the old ones. Same with people; we overcome one obstacle and another one eventually catches up to us. The story never ends until we're dead.

The realist in me likes this approach to the FFVI world.

Although if you don't have Sabin Suplexing the Phantom Airship (a la the fight against the Phantom Train), I'd be horribly disappointed in you.