Author Topic: God, I Miss This Place  (Read 20247 times)

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
Re: God, I Miss This Place
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 08:27:42 pm »
As someone who was never a hardcore member of this community, I am surprised to find myself in such agreement with the original poster.

I remember when there were spriters galore around here and how fan sprites of Chrono Trigger characters were as common as dirt. There were people not just creating art and remixes, but discussing theories in depth.

At the same time, the busy nature of this place turned me off it early on. Because most of the members knew more bout the game than I ever would, I never really got into this place until after it suffered it's own Day of Lavos (and then only well after the event).

It's weird in how even without any significant other or offspring, that over the years, my life has just gotten so busy that I don't even have time to play my absolute favorite games.  It's reassuring to learn it isn't just me; life has a way of draining us all.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 12:16:30 am »
Oh no, I was a nazi?! Clearly an example of power's corruptive influence. I almost edited the OP (not to edit anything out, but just for old time's sake), but realized I probably wouldn't remember how I used to frame them or anything and then I saw that the forum has thread revival warnings and just laughed at what I would have thought about that back then. The days of forums are long gone, but this one was a gem. Fuck, I can't even remember the name of the other Chrono forum I had tried before the Compendium but they were really strict about thread revivals! As you can see, we let threads around here balloon quite a bit, which I think did turn off newcomers sometimes, but now its all there for anyone to read in its entirety, which is wild...I wonder how many Compendium slogans my anti-game thread that was clearly a game thread made....>_>

-------

EDIT: IcyBrian's was the other forum I was thinking of...though I was also part of CT's section of Square's old PlayOnline forums prior to the Compendium.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:31:49 am by V_Translanka »

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 02:17:37 am »
I remember the first time I saw that revival warning, and wondered if I should post. Then I saw another thread titled "THREAD NECROMANCY IS PERFECTLY OKAY", and posted.

ShogunSlug

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 09:45:31 pm »
I see quite a few blasts from the past in this thread. It's very nostalgic. With that being said, I miss the days of refreshing pages for new replies and checking in on new threads. I also miss the "spring time of youth" and "surreal humor" era of this forum.

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 02:16:48 am »
Like i said in another post, we need to join a *fast* messaging plataform, in that case Discord. My BR fanclub was already migrated to there.

ShogunSlug

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 07:46:59 pm »
Like i said in another post, we need to join a *fast* messaging plataform, in that case Discord. My BR fanclub was already migrated to there.
We already tried the "fast messaging platform" a while back. We had an IRC server and it didn't last very long at all. There's also not enough activity or discussion on this site to justify having one.

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 07:59:51 pm »
Agreed, ShogunSlug. Discord is not a magic bullet.

The real problem is two-fold. SE isn't investing into the Chrono series and those of us who still have active fondness for Chrono Trigger are old.

Without SE putting any effort into pushing the Chrono series, the flow of new fans dwindles to a trickle. Yes, gamers may know of and have even played Chrono Trigger, but the game is 20 years old, with Chrono Cross not that far behind. There may be an occasional new fan but that's it.

The other problem is that the existing fan base is older.  Invariably when you grow older you lose time for  personal pursuits. Whether it be family, work, or obligation, life gets complicated as you get older no matter how simple you want your life to be. I would love to get up in the morning, go to work, then come back to the house. However, the rate of complication in my life even as a single, childfree person means that no day I have is like that. Paying bills, going to the store, getting gas, and such nibble away at the cookie of our free time, leaving us with crumbs.

Finally, even time itself is not a substitute for possessing the skillset to create things for others to enjoy. For instance, I like looking at pixel art and rearranging it. For years, I have had the idea to create a purely for fun (non-usable, non-importable) CT-style overworld map creator. It wouldn't be like a built-in editing tool which takes existing assets and reimports them. This would be more of a casual time-wasting tool, for people to play around with, and would even let assets from different eras co-exist (want snow and a volcano on a 1000 A.D.-style map? Here you go!). I even know that for a programmer, this isn't that hard of a project, but do I have the skill to do it? Nope, and even if I had the time, since programming doesn't come intuitively to me and I have other projects of a higher priority at which I have a greater skill, this dream is just a dream.

The more people you have the more skills that you will have and the more the community will create. However without anything drawing people here, it does not matter how passionate we are as we are all slowly dying and moving on.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:05:08 pm by Nangbaby »

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 07:20:36 am »
I just thought about gather the last members here to chat about Chrono and everything else on Discord, not plans to "revive" the waning fandom.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:33 am »
Hi everyone. I actually found out about this forum recently. Huge fan here, my favorite game is Crimson Echoes (yes really.) Hope you guys like my story.

I first played Chrono Trigger in college when I was 25 (dont ask). It hit me. Like hard. I think this was 2010 maybe? Maybe a year or two before. Anyway. I'm not great with the newer games, the SNES controller I find far better than the Xbox one, the 3-handed n64 controller or Wii floaty sticks. I do play games from all Eras, Commodire 64, Megaman 2, GTA vice city, Mortal Kombat 4, that stuff.

When I first played Chrono trigger, it was definitely an experience. I could tell at first this was a game made well, like when they wrote Futurama, the writers conceptualized everything before writing anything. But as the game went on it got better. And I kept playing. It was 5am and I came to 12000 BC. Of all my video game memories, heck of a lot of my life's memories, I know I will never ever forget the first time that music started and I went to the kingdom of Zeal when I walked into Enhasa. I was totally enveloped with the game's graphics at the time, no retroactive shit here, I was enveloped in the game. And when I went into Enhasa with that music and the sense of wonder, I knew right then I'd never forget it. In fact, though I was 25, the memory was so strong, it jumped into my brain's memory box, and wrote in the whole game's memory in my mind at age 8. I guess its cliche to say it made me feel like a kid, but in my mind I have memories of playing the game when I was 8 years old now. Yeah, it was that good.

What I will tell people is more impressive is that by modern standards the game can still impact you that much. The text is just grey text like FF8, not with colorful materia gems like ff7 to pretty up the screen, or icons, or on the fly additions in percentage to stats for new weapons like ff tactics (if i remade the game, the only mods i would make would be making the menu more pretty.) The game for me is still fantastic. I found a coworker of mine seems to enjoy this game too. His recieving text sound is the three notes coming from the organ in the cathedral. When I first heard it it scared the crap out of me. I said to him 'the hell is the matter with you, any sound effect in the whole game and you choose one that's gonna pick at THAT memory of the game.' well we laughed, and I shared with him Crimson Echoes. He's now playing it, enthrawled. I myself write CT fanfics now, started putting em online recently.

So, yeah Chrono Trigger rocks. And this may be old for you guys but I'm overjoyed to find there are at least others out there who are fans like me. I've met in my life...just two people who've ever played the game. So I hope I can find others here.

Oh, and just to keep with what I'm doing tonight...blah blah, screw you Square and your C&D letter, go suck it, etc.

Chrono Trigger rocks, woo!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 02:55:07 pm »
Man, was it really a year ago I first posted this?!

There must be something nostalgic about November and the coming winter. Short days, long nights. Cooped up, dreams feel fleeting and then return in the spring. I retreat into nostalgia and wear it like a mask.

So it goes.

Joel, Sean (you know who you are), I miss chatting with you like the old days. Maybe it's time I reach out again.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 03:39:30 pm »
I'm getting really close to finishing that tech editor... finally.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 04:54:11 pm »
Mauron, maybe sooner or later we can pick up that short little demo we were cooking up? :D

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2017, 05:08:48 pm »
Absolutely, positively, 100% yes!

I'm closing down work on Hi-Tech, so there will be time sooner for me. I still have everything I had worked on previously.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 05:13:36 pm »
I'd love that. Pick up the small demo, not the full on project we had discussed, hahaha...

I was actually thinking about going back to that flying craft and re-spriting it. I think I could do better. I could put some additional sprites together for the new enemies you had envisioned. :)

My life has been a whirlwind (new baby, new job, etc) the past year, and I've been craving some sort of a creative outlet.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 05:18:36 pm »
Feel free to put any comments on the existing topic about it. I'll add any thoughts afterwards.

How's the baby and job?