Author Topic: How did Belthasar plan out Dinopolis  (Read 1804 times)

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
How did Belthasar plan out Dinopolis
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:57:32 pm »
The Chrono Cross could never have been created if not for the Dragon Tear, Fort Dragonia, and the Divine Dragon Falls. All of these are results of the Dragonians appearing in the timeline, an act of the planet itself. How could Belthasar possibly have predicted that Dinopolis would exist in some alternative timeline, and that the planet would send it back alongisde Chronopolis? Was Belthasar even aware of the Entity?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: How did Belthasar plan out Dinopolis
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 09:42:01 pm »
I think it is vaguely mentioned that the super computer aka fate could simulate possible timelines. Maybe the Radical Dreamers easter egg is an indirect proof that it can at least retrieve "reports" from other possible timelines.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:18:11 am »
Even so, I can't believe that even FATE could predict if and how the planet would act. Was it even aware that the Counter Time Experiment was meant to fail?

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:52:32 am »
I don't think Fate knew everything(thanks to Prometheus), but, yeah, the whole plan sounds unbelievable.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 10:04:48 am »
To be honest I'd go as far as to say that Belthasar was evil, possibly more evil than Lavos. He knowingly erased an entire civilization to realize his plan.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 01:13:13 pm »
Well that why time travel gives me headache. After the timelines are merged, will what you did in CC be undone? Like the death of the hydra and the dwarf, because the events haven't happened, yet.
 :(

If Belthasar didn't do anything, would the Time Devourer erase all timelines anyway? Or was it just his little lie to free Schala from Lavos?
 :picardno

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 02:48:16 pm »
Chrono Cross' ending is too vague to say anything for sure. The Compendium's whole theory on it relies on the assumption that Chronopolis wasn't sent back in time, but rather being connected to the past through a temporal rift. And that eventually, Chronopolis workers would just appear at the Sea of Eden to colonize El Nido even though Chronopolis doesn't exist anymore. Personally I don't believe that at all, as it's stated directly in the game that Chronopolis was sent back in time, and the fact that the supercomputer FATE terraformed El Nido, not the workers. Mere humans cannot create islands out of thin air, especially not without Chronopolis.

Another theory is that the "optimal" version of each person was used for the ideal timeline, but that creates problems because some people would be from one dimension and others from another, even close acquaintances, which means they technically wouldn't know each other.

Or, perhaps only one dimension was preserved while the other was simply erased. This also creates problems. If Another World was preserved, which would make sense as it's the "original" timeline, Chronopolis exists, and Serge would be living in a world he wasn't born in. If Home World was preserved, that means the Acacia Dragoons still met a grisly fate, Fargo is still a pathetic shell, etc.

It's a shame they gave us so little to work with, and I haven't a single theory that has no complex contradictions. I presume not even the writer himself ever came up with a perfect solution.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 11:19:51 pm »
I don't think it is important if you just play the game.
"Belthasar did it" is a plot filler that the author didn't explain the details, so it is completely open until they decide to make a sequel.
As for the ending, if we take Schala's words literally, she means the 2 timelines created by the event of Serge's survival, as for other possible timelines, the game just doesn't mention.
People are trying to create theories because: 1) There are bugs in the games that make them not fit into known time travel models; 2) They want to expand the story so some vague part can't stay that way; 3) They are SF geeks who just can't stand incomplete theories, in which case, Chrono series are fantasy/sf hybrid that don't play with time travel theories heavily.
As for this topic, I think you can say either Belthasar got some of the results from simulations, or he had Gaspar's help like shown in CT:DS, he needed to know TD in the first place after all, or both. He had the Neo Epoch, a cheating tool which even Fate might not know.