Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes Feedback Thread  (Read 4923 times)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes Feedback Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2005, 01:18:06 pm »
That wasn't a mistake; we did that for testing the ending cutscenes and just kinda left it in.  And don't worry about the dialogue; it's going to be more English.

Anonymous

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2005, 07:08:04 pm »
Well, didn´t anyone realize that the year which appears in the bottom of the general map is 1000? It should be 1002!
I also think that it's quite anoying that Crono´s mother doesn't repeat what to do with the items.
I liked Leene Square, yea, it was empty, but there wasn´t any special celebration! so I think it's all right like that.
Finally, I did not have any problems with the NPC's dialogues

Anyway, I liked the demo and I´ll be looking fordward for more releases

I hope to see references to Chrono Cross (El Nido, Acacia Dragoons, Garai & Radius.....) I was happy when I read Norris' name.

And I preffer human Glenn ^_^

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2005, 11:19:02 pm »
Quote from: Guest
Well, didn´t anyone realize that the year which appears in the bottom of the general map is 1000? It should be 1002!

I...I already said that...

Quote from: He Who Is Greater Than Ye
LegendofthePast (or w/e his damn SN is ) pointed out to me that the year is still 1000 on the map...

And...and ZeaLitY already responded...

Quote from: ZeaLitY 'The Man'
Couldn't edit that 1000 button

I also think that it's quite anoying that Crono´s mother doesn't repeat what to do with the items.

What's w/all these (i noticed similar problems w/other people) n00b problems? "Oh, I couldn't figure out where to go! I can't remember what my mom said to do!" Boohoo. :P

I liked Leene Square, yea, it was empty, but there wasn´t any special celebration! so I think it's all right like that.

Again, if there wasn't some kind of celebration, why were balloons set off in the beginning?

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2005, 02:58:50 am »
Leene Square is still to emty. It need's like a market place. Since that's what a square would probably be like. Like Melchior's apprentice or something might be there, for example if he had one, or people giving serviced etc. More Gossip people too.

Xenesis

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2005, 05:13:06 am »

What's w/all these (i noticed similar problems w/other people) n00b problems? "Oh, I couldn't figure out where to go! I can't remember what my mom said to do!" Boohoo. :P

Hey, sometimes you just inexplicably forget things, and it's better form to have that information accesable again rather than having to talk to every single NPC in the game to see. I mean, my memory isn't the best at times, but if I forget something in the middle of the game, I'd like to be able to see what I need to know again, rather than finish half the game to see that one line of dialogue I'd forgotten that told me what I was supposed to do.

Remember: I haven't had the in-depth time developing and discussing what happens with this hack, so I don't know where to do or what to do. The lack of having this kind of information available is FRUSTRATING and leaves little desire to continue playing. I want to continue with the game, not wander around trying to remember which NPCs I was supposed to talk to for a half an hour that would take me five minutes should I be able to read the information again.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005, 08:52:22 am »
Oh please, I didn't have any advanced knowledge of what was to be expected in the demo either and I didn't have a hard time...All you had to do was talk to all the NPCs...heck, you should be doing that anyways, especially w/a demo!

dan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://danhm.net
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 02:58:57 pm »
I just finished it. Great job! My only compliant is the clipping, but that's already been mentioned.

All that I'd like to say is that there is an easier way to apply the patch, and works in any operating system. All that you have to do is put your smc and ips file in a zip, and then have zsnes load the zip. Snes9x might also have this feature, but I haven't used that in awhile, so I'm not sure.

IcedEarthaholic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2005, 03:32:28 am »
What I would ultimately like to see in any Chrono Trigger hack, is the two unused areas to be completed, and their songs played as well in those said areas. I would love to go through those mazes just to say I did it. Is there any plan of putting those two incomplete maps within the game mod, including those two songs to go with them?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2005, 01:19:18 pm »
Zeal Dungeon yes, Sealed Pyramid dungeon yes, Singing Mountain yes. Though Singing Mountain may take a palette hack for the layer 3 lava. Not sure yet if its palette is still in the game.

Lurker#7200

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2005, 03:16:26 pm »
Hey there.  I hopped over from a link at the OCRemix.com boards.  (Which, oddly enough, I rarely frequent.)

I'll echo the problems regarding clipping, empty areas, uneatable perishables and equipable key items.  But there are two other issues I'd like to address:  The dialog and plot.

First, the dialog:

It's spotty, retaining the vibe and simplicity of Trigger in some instances, while being stiff and unnatural in others.  'Cannot', 'Will not', 'Do not' --- Contractions would do a world of good here, and you'd be surprised at the differences such subtle alterations can make.  Also, Bandeau, the Elder, and -CARD RECIPIENT- have particularly awkward dialogs, and Melchoir seems out of character.

Next, the plot:

Naturally, I don't have the entire Crimson Tears story like the its developers do, and I don't intend to write it for them, but I have some issues with the plot:  The presentation.  It's virtually nonexistent, and this has an adverse effect on the perception of the plot's quality.  Porre, Grobyc, Lucca's Time Egg, all reasonable additions come off as forced, rushed, and even cheesy... which is unfortunate given their potential.  The only possible 'hole' I've noticed is that Glenn is Glenn while Magus still lives.  Huh?

Fortunately, all of the things I've listed above are probably just quirks inherent to the project's early beta stage and will be improved upon or resolved in future revisions.  And hey, isn't the entire point of releasing a beta for testing and for players' feedback?  Anyhow, I'm eagerly looking forward to the project's completion, so keep at the hard work!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2005, 03:42:02 pm »
I think a few opening, small cutscenes (like FF6) may do the plot a lot of good. Yes, it's there in force and takes off where the demo leaves off. The sudden appearance of the Vanguard will hopefully be eased by those prologue notes we'll add.

Melonman64

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2005, 06:15:31 pm »
I liked this, but I think it was a tad short. This inspires me to do my own thing with TF, but I'm afraid I'll ruin CT forever. However, I need something new. I look back on CT and it makes me sad, since CB will almost never happen. Chrono Cross itself is a bit sad to me, but whatever.
Still, this was an awesome demo, and I hope to see a full version eventually.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2005, 10:12:59 pm »
I didn't like the way that Magus and Frog talked. Especially Magus. Even though he said stuff about the Black Wind, he sounded so much out of character... Like when was the last time we heard him talk for like 3 lines in CT? Except when he said his memory thing.

Argetlahm

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2005, 05:37:09 pm »
I'm replaying the demo piece by piece right now to refresh my memory. Some of this will be random as it comes to mind though, just take it as notes etc... not really in order, sorry

As stated, I believe the opening should be slightly edited. The flying seagulls is nice, but if possible the event calling the ballons at the Square should be removed since they don't fit.

Also, personally, I think it would be cool to use the Marle + Crono wake up dream from Chrono Trigger in the opening... I can't remember the exact dialogue though, so maybe it wouldn't work here? Marle's opening speach just doesn't flow right. "Get in your tux and c'mon!"... just doesn't click with me for some reason.

The NPC's in Truce are perfect. As mentioned also, there's some errors in the Mayor's Manor. Also, the NPC in the Residence next to Crono's house should realize that he is Crono, so the comment she makes on the couple him and Nadia/Marle make should be slightly edited.

Some of the speech, as said before, by NPC's just seems too elaborated upon. If possible, it should be shortened or dumbed down. "Dear, son" etc don't fit the context of Crono's mother. "See me when you're ready to go to Guardia Castle"?

In the Vanguard Post, some of the tiles are incorrectly placed, especially the wooden floor. Might want to look into that? When talking to the Vanguard man at the desk, you should have it so Crono can't move, since you have to press up/down to make a choice.

The music in the Cathedral/Fiona's Shrine sucks, honestly. It hurts my ears.

After picking up the power tab in the Porre Mayor's Manor, the music changes to the other overworld music instead of the eerie music that was playing before.

"Rigidified" (Melchior) - Is that even a word? O_o Melchior's character seems to have matured quick and uses bigger words now... Not really his style.

Also, does the scene of Lucca + Crono running to the castle need to be shown? Just seems like a waste of time. Not to mention, they're running from the right where the gate is towards the castle instead of from the left where the entrance is :)

The meeting with the Porre representatives should take place directly in the throne room instead of the dining room (also, one of them is standing in the wall when they come down the stairs). The dining room seems too large of a place to have 6 characters discussing. You should have the King seated at the throne with Marle in the opposite chair, and then Crono at her side and Lucca at the Kings side. The 2 representatives should stand on the carpet in front to initiate the negotiations.

The whole part where they jump/escape and they form a gate and go to the future... just meh. That whole scene needs to be reworked. "OH GNOES! IT HIT MY POCKET IT'S DESTABILIZING!11!" Everything was going good up until the Porre meeting, in my opinion. "Test protoype"? How about just "prototype". Why would Lucca just be carrying a protoype with her anyways? She should know that it's way to unstable to just be carrying around in a pocket, and possibly expecting a battle by attending the negotiations anyways.

I also don't understand why they would just jump into a random gate... it seemed way too rushed. They're at the foot of the mountain anyways, just retreat.

Glenn's accent is way overdone, but I think you already said that would be fixed?

Oh, that reminds me, there's a few places where the first line of text is indented, those should be removed.

The animations for the dino's w/ Ayla and Kino is a bit jerky, it's like their normal back pose but switching to a front every few milliseconds.

Magus' text should be tweaked a bit to be shorter, he's out of character like mentioned by speaking so long with unneeded additions "Hmph, howl all you wish."  It should just say is it a shattered dream I search for? Death... is... nothing... to... the... reaper! etc

I'm also not a fan of the choice of character portraits.

Anyways, that was just a quick run through of what I think should be changed or what have you. :)

Dryer Lint

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2005, 09:57:48 am »
First of all, kudos for creating this demo! Even if it's terribly short, a lot of effort probably went into it.

The previous posters already brought up many good points and I hope you take them into account.

Anyway, I really like the fact that Frog now has his old Glenn-form. I always thought it kind of lame that in CT he was never transformed back, even if you killed Magus. They probably just didn't feel like drawing another sprite.
Your Glenn-sprite looks pretty good already.

I really hope there are going to be more new sprites and/or tiles.

The only thing that really bothered me was right before the end of the demo, when the trio gets attacked, that story about Lucca's time egg. No offense, but it's kind of lame:
Lucca: "Oops, I fell on the time-machine prototype in my pocket. Oh well, lucky coincidence, let's just time-travel without knowing where we end up or how we return!"
Marle: "Sure, sounds like fun!"
Chrono: "..."

But did I read that right? I didn't notice that. Grobyc and Norris are in the demo? Does that work out, time-line wise?

Anyway, I can't wait for the final product.