Author Topic: What happens to the Future when you Disappear?  (Read 5102 times)

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
What happens to the Future when you Disappear?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2005, 06:06:56 pm »
Not according to Miguel, and tons of evidence in CT...

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2005, 07:27:48 pm »
Miguel is too cryptic to be a source of time travel laws.  

Which would you like me to refute first: Flow Principle or the Time Bastard Theorem?  Admittedly, debunking the latter (to use Lord J esq's phrase) would be much easier, but both would require that I spend a good hour typing--time that I otherwise would spend attacking my massive reading list.

Edit: I'm just dangling my hook in the water.  I'm not trying to be a smart-ass.  I greatly respect all of the articles and the effort put into them.  When I say something is wrong, I don't mean it's flat out terrible; I just mean that a few changes are in order.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2005, 08:16:57 pm »
I'm still waiting for your all your theorys. :)

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2005, 09:43:47 pm »
Quote from: Sir Frog
Miguel is too cryptic to be a source of time travel laws.  

Which would you like me to refute first: Flow Principle or the Time Bastard Theorem?  Admittedly, debunking the latter (to use Lord J esq's phrase) would be much easier, but both would require that I spend a good hour typing--time that I otherwise would spend attacking my massive reading list.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about TB first, if you don't mind.  I would request that you not repeat what happened last time.

You should know that the Compendium is more important than school work.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2005, 10:05:19 pm »
Yeah, my favorite kind of refution is that which comes w/o any form of explaination...What's the point of posting that you're not going to be posting what people want you to post (whoa, mind bender)?

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2005, 12:15:36 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Yeah, my favorite kind of refution is that which comes w/o any form of explaination...What's the point of posting that you're not going to be posting what people want you to post (whoa, mind bender)?

Are you taking a shot at me? or at Josh?  Regardless, I promise to include an explanation or two.  :)  

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about TB first, if you don't mind. I would request that you not repeat what happened last time.

Done and done.  BTW, what's with all the ill will towards Lord J esq?

At the moment I am busy putting starx (@GameFAQs) back in his place.  I'll get to work on TB soon.  

~ Sir Frog

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2005, 03:23:54 am »
I dunno if I'd say I was "taking a shot" at anyone...Just pointing out how redundant posting "That's wrong" or "I don't think so" and then basically leaving it like that is...even with two following replies that also basically say the same thing and offer no further explaination...I'm all for hearing w/e new (or modified) theory, but why continue to make posts that say "Yeah, I don't think so...I'll totally post my reason later"? Waste of space...

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2005, 03:35:02 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
I dunno if I'd say I was "taking a shot" at anyone...Just pointing out how redundant posting "That's wrong" or "I don't think so" and then basically leaving it like that is...even with two following replies that also basically say the same thing and offer no further explaination...I'm all for hearing w/e new (or modified) theory, but why continue to make posts that say "Yeah, I don't think so...I'll totally post my reason later"? Waste of space...

I know.  :D  I was trying to bait Sentenal.  Sorry.   :oops:

Right now, I am actually writing my critique of the TB theorem.  It's taking way longer than I had budgeted, though.  Oh well.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2005, 09:22:46 am »
Good luck on beating Starx.  His head is in the right place.

jthomp1286

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2005, 09:41:39 am »
Quote from: CatchRBFivy
Eriol you're missing the entire point.  You need to understand one VERY important feature about time travel.  That is the time-space continuum.  And the principle behind it is that all time is happeneing all the time.  I had a teacher that liked to use this example to explain it...."Right now, Ceasar is crossing the Rubicon"  So when yuo travel from 65,000,000 BC to 12,000 BC you're not actually passing just under 65mil years.  You're only traveling the time it takes for your method of time tavel to take you there (the time in the blue portal.)  So even though you travel to a different time period, nothing changes because the events in the past are happening simultaneously.  You're still traveling in the Lavos timeline so everything stays the same.  Now if you took Ayla away and didn't beat Azala, and waited millions of years, then something would change.

I kinda wish I had a more scientific way of explaining this....I feel like I failed, but it makes sense to me.

I think that pretty much explains it right there. I totally agree with you, that's how I've always perceived time. For instance, as I'm typing this, George Washington is leading the Revolutionary War, correct? Its kinda hard to think about, but honestly, it doesn't take you over 65m years to get to 1000 A.D. does it? Of course not, else there would be drastic changes in the CT world. If they made the game like that, that would make it all the more difficult... maybe even impossible. If that were true, no one would be able to leave their timeline without causing a serious screw up in time. Thus, there would even be no point in creating the game.

EDIT: I think I'm going to seriously start working on my own set of theories to explain some of the so-called "plot holes" we've talked about here. No offense towards any of you, but I grow very tired of seeing that phrase used to explain something seemingly unexplainable in CT. I've been playing this game since I was in the 4th grade (I'm a freshman in college), so just maybe I could come up with something. This isn't to take a shot at anyone or an attempt to "debunk" other theories, I just feel the personal need to write my own.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2005, 02:39:06 pm »
Good luck trying to explain them with a consistant theorys.  Most of us have been playing it as long as you, and can't explain the plotholes.  Thats why they are plotholes.