Author Topic: Who did you defeat Lavos with the 1st Time?  (Read 5176 times)

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Who did you defeat Lavos with the 1st Time?
« on: August 16, 2005, 06:09:34 pm »
I'm curious as to which characters everyone used on their FIRST killing of Lavos in Chrono Trigger (if you can remember).  I'm sure we've all done it with a myriad of characters since just to see if it can be done (or to get a certain ending), but I'm wondering what was your "power team" the first time through.

For me it was Chrono, Magus, and Marle.

At the time, Magus was flat-out the most powerful multi-target magic user I had.  And he didn't even have Dark Matter at the time either!  I was hitting Lavos with Dark Mist, since that was STILL more powerful than Lucca's Flare, and his default attack was on average more powerful than Lucca's Wondershot (for attacking the "physical" bit in the final form).  Chrono was the most "well-rounded" and powerful character (between rainbow on the melee, Luminaire for damage, and high hit points/defense, he was an obvious choice), and Marle for the best healing, as well as full-health ressurection.

I guess the justifications aren't as important, but I do wonder what people used, and why.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 06:20:35 pm »
Just like I use every time, Crono, Marle, and Lucca.  The original three.  Once in awhile I'll use Magus, Lucca, and either Marle or Robo, for Omega Flare and Dark Eternal.

Luminaire

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 11:28:30 pm »
I remember the first time I beat it  I used Crono, Marle and Frog... I forget why I used to use them, I was only like 7 or 8, so I wasnt always looking for the best triple techs opr anything like that... I remember they had a tech that was like tri-elemental or something like that though, and I thought it was the best move every lol...

Parallax

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 11:49:24 pm »
I used Marle Crono and Frog. Marle was my healer, and Crono and Frog Dual-Teched the Lavos bits.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:08:22 am »
Ten years is a long time to remember. I almost always use Crono, Ayla, and Robo so I assume I used them way back when. That team is just fanatical. All of them have crazy powerful single techs; Confuse, Luminare, Triple Kick, Uzzi Punch, Shock. And then there is Volt Bite which is insanity. Both Ayla and Robo can heal, and Crono can revive. The team is almost unstoppable.

Parallax

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 12:16:11 am »
What did you guys use in Chrono Cross?

Moi: Kid, Serge, Glenn.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 12:52:27 am »
I used Crono, Marle, and Frog.. mainly because I had to use Frog cuz of the Masamune, and I think Marle and Frog had a double-tech that healed everyone completely (Cure Water, I believe).. I really wanted to use Magus, but if I switched either Marle or Frog I'd lose Cure Water...

For Chrono Cross I used Serge, Guile and Karsh, I think... I don't remember as clearly as Chrono Trigger.. I mused Guilge cuz he was strong with elements (was the stat called magic in CC?), and Karsh cuz... he looked cool and I missed out on Glenn.. I used Pip for a while cuz I read about his ability to morph, and I expected him to get stronger with each form, not that each form was a different innate element.. I used Serge, Pip, and Guile up to Fort Dragonia, then I guess I just dropped getting Pip back when I got Guile back... I recently played most of the game again (up to the point where I can go fight the TD if I want) and my party was Serge, Glenn, and Kid.. I like that party better

Eriol, isn't that the guy from CCS? I never saw past episode 12 or so as CCS, though I saw most of the episodes as Cardcaptors... I would've completely forgot about him if he werent in the second movie..

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 03:26:03 am »
My first time was Crono, Lucca, Robo, but nowadays I usually use Crono/Lucca/Frog or Crono/Frog/Magus

Eriol

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 05:16:51 pm »
Quote from: Shadow_Dragon
Eriol, isn't that the guy from CCS? I never saw past episode 12 or so as CCS, though I saw most of the episodes as Cardcaptors... I would've completely forgot about him if he werent in the second movie..

I've heard this before, but where I got the name from is one of Tolkein's "more obscure" books called "The Book of Lost Tales".  Eriol is a central character there (extra points here if any fellow Tolkein geeks can say what the name MEANS).  And yes, I was using that name long before the LotR movies came out.

So older than CCS.  :D

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 05:43:22 pm »
For CC I used one of th "original" 3 as well: Serge, Kid, Guile.  I'm more of a person who uses characters who have a reason to beat the boss, more than how well they do in battle.

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 11:58:59 pm »
In CT, I think I was using Crono, Marle, and Ayla first time through... rarely ever used Ayla since.  Most of the time I wind up with Marle, Lucca, and either Crono or Magus.

CC, it was Serge, Kid, and Glenn.  I remember it was like 3 AM when I finally did it, and it was the bad ending, too.  At that point, though, I didn't care.  I'd beat it, and I was happy.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 01:28:53 pm »
Quote from: Eriol
Quote from: Shadow_Dragon

I've heard this before, but where I got the name from is one of Tolkein's "more obscure" books called "The Book of Lost Tales".  Eriol is a central character there (extra points here if any fellow Tolkein geeks can say what the name MEANS).  And yes, I was using that name long before the LotR movies came out.

So older than CCS.  :D

<_< now I feel awkward.. do you at least know what CCS is? I searched on google for images of 'Eriol' to make sure there wasn't something else that 'Eriol' could be from, but I guess I can't expect there to be a picture of someone's name from a book <_<

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 04:22:38 pm »
I used Crono, Marle and Frog, and hammared at the Core (Bit, that is) with Arc Impulse.

Anyways... If you want to know my feelings... The ending was touching so I was, well, touched. :S

Big Ern

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 11:39:59 am »
For Chrono Trigger... err it's been so long since I beat it the first time, though I'll safely assume it was probably with Crono / Frog / Magus, being as that's my usual party.

As for Cross... errr I forgot exactly with it too, though I'll guess it was probably with Serge / Karsh / Kid.  I missed Glenn on my initial playthrough, hence usage of Kid. My usual CC party is any possible combination of Serge, Karsh, Glenn, & Grobyc.

Shota

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 12:31:34 pm »
Hmm.. well, I got the game second hand, so all the saves were still there, so at that point I just randomly beat Lavos with.. Crono, Frog, and Magus.
But the first time I beat Lavos after playing the entire game I used Crono, Robo and Magus, which is my favorite party.

I don't know if Chrono Cross applies here, but I beat that with Serge, Kid and Glenn.