Author Topic: What makes someone an Innate?  (Read 16055 times)

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
What makes someone an Innate?
« on: August 14, 2005, 12:27:30 am »
What I got from Spekkio was that everyone could use magic, and the frozen flame evolved the human ablitiy to use magic.  But that brings me to my question:  In other threads, I see people talking about Person X being an Innate, different from Zealians, who simply relied on the Mammon Machine.  But what makes someone an Innate?  What does that actually mean to be an Innate?

Kuroikaze

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 04:45:04 am »
Who can say? People say that everyone is capable of ESP, but not everyone can do it.

You can't deny the existence of a 6th sense in some people, just knowing when something is going to happen, having uncanny instances of intuition, "feeling" someone following you.

It could be that Innates are the rare and in the future almost impossible mutation where someone uses more of their brain then 10%, and like people who have been documented to see magnetic fields similar to those in Kleiner photography, can see elemental forces, and use their mind to manipulate them.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 10:39:49 am »
"Innate" isn't a proper noun.  It's used by saying, "Someone's innate color/element is _________".  Everyone has some sort of innate color.  The best way I can describe it is what your body is most finely tuned to.  For example, Marle and Frog's innate color would be blue.  Someone who is raised inside of a volcano, their innate color would probably be red.  "Innate" isn't a title, like a Zealian or Arnian, etc.  It's almost like saying "default".

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 10:48:25 am »
After reading through the Lavos/Entity forum, I thought you might be refering to this quote:

Well, most of the magic using humans who were innates were taken out in the fall of Zeal. The Mystics never had a population crisis like that.

Which is understandable how you could be confused.  But the idea remains the same.  "Innate" basically means "default".  In this case, people who were "innates" were born with the ability to use magic.  It's still the same idea.  You could also say that the Larubans from 65Mil B.C. innately had lots of physical strength.

Just keep in mind, when people say "innate" in these forums, they usually refer to CC and a person's innate color.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: What makes someone an Innate?
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 01:39:07 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
What I got from Spekkio was that everyone could use magic, and the frozen flame evolved the human ablitiy to use magic.  But that brings me to my question:  In other threads, I see people talking about Person X being an Innate, different from Zealians, who simply relied on the Mammon Machine.  But what makes someone an Innate?  What does that actually mean to be an Innate?

From "Magic in CT and CC:"

Quote from: Aitrus
As for their loss of powers, could it be that the actual "innate" magic power is actually much rarer, and that only a few actually posess it? It could be that the founders of Zeal were such "innates," and they created the Sun Stone and other such devices in order to amplify their powers. Their children, however, didn't have the "innate" ability, but the Sun Stone imbued them with magical powers, albeit weaker ones, so that the Zealians didn't know the difference. Most likely both Schala and Janus were "innates," explaining their magical strength and why they could use it outside of the Zeal timeframe. This also explains why the normal Zealians could no longer use magic after the Mammon Machine was destroyed.

Quote from: GrayLensman
Queen Zeal, Schala, Janus, Dalton, the Gurus, Crono, Marle, Lucca, Frog, and some of the Mystics are all innate magic users, with their abilities granted to them by Lavos' genetic manipulations. They access elemental forces directly, with no intermediaries involved.

The majority of the Enlightened Ones had no physical distinction from the Earthbound Ones. All of humanity at that time had a limited magical property given to them by Lavos, but they could not use magic unaided. The inhabitants of Zeal were granted special powers through use of the Sun Stone and/or the Mammon Machine.

When Zeal fell, the mechanisms drawing power from the Sun Stone and Mammon Machine failed, so the non-innate Zealians lost their abilities and became the same as the Earthbound Ones. The Innate magic users were completely unaffected by the change.

After Lavos arrived in 65 million BC, humans were given varying degrees of Magical ability.

• Innate magic users can use their talent unaided.  They may need to have the ability unlocked, but afterwards their abilities are permanent.
  • Non-innate magic users need an external power source to use their abilities.  If this power source is removed, they loose their powers.
  • Non magic users have no magical abilities, but they may be able to generate elemental effects through other means.[/list:u]
    Innate magic users have all the genes necessary to use magic.  Non-innate magic users have an incomplete set of these genes, which only provides a limited ability.  Non magic users lack any such genetic modification.  Only living things can use magic, but there are other ways to manipulate the elements.

A magic user's "element" only represents the direction of their natural talent.  This is unlike the "innate color" in Chrono Cross, which is a natural characteristic of all animate beings.

To avoid confusion, I always use the term "innate color" when referring to Chrono Cross.

Azarath

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 08:22:46 pm »
Thants what I do. Innate is CC and Element is CT (pretty much). Although there are, 'Elements' in CC, they aren't really, 'elements' at all.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 03:13:56 am »
Yeah, but CC Elements would still be ruled by the fact that even they are composed of the CT Elements, like everything else.

Spekkio says that he's giving Frog Water because, well, he's a frog...And that people's CT Element is based on their inner character.

Paradox

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 12:54:24 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Yeah, but CC Elements would still be ruled by the fact that even they are composed of the CT Elements, like everything else.

Spekkio says that he's giving Frog Water because, well, he's a frog...And that people's CT Element is based on their inner character.

I like to work more with the "inner character" idea then just outer appearance or physical appearance. Spikko talks like a jolly ol' nut sometimes, but I'm sure he gave Glenn water magic for much more of a reason then he's cursed to look like a frog. Glenn was always bashful, but strong, a good friend and a willful foe. Water just seems to work with him.  The linking of elements to the inner character of the person unlocking his/her magical ability souly makes a lot more sense to me... despite how humorous it feels to me to think that Spikko made Crono a lightning wielder just because his hair looks like the worst case of early-morning static ever  :mrgreen:

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 02:19:35 pm »
It has to do with inner character for sure... Lucca = Fire cuz fire is passion and Lucca has passion in everything she makes and does.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 10:28:57 pm »
Quote from: Paradox
I like to work more with the "inner character" idea then just outer appearance or physical appearance. Spikko talks like a jolly ol' nut sometimes, but I'm sure he gave Glenn water magic for much more of a reason then he's cursed to look like a frog. Glenn was always bashful, but strong, a good friend and a willful foe. Water just seems to work with him.  The linking of elements to the inner character of the person unlocking his/her magical ability souly makes a lot more sense to me... despite how humorous it feels to me to think that Spikko made Crono a lightning wielder just because his hair looks like the worst case of early-morning static ever  :mrgreen:

I don't think a person's element correlates to their personality.  I would also say that Spekkio didn't give Crono lightning magic, but rather unlocked the magical talent which was already part of his nature.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 12:11:43 pm »
After Spekkio unlocked magic, Gaspar says something like there was a time when everyone had this magic abbility. But in Zeal, they say their kind of magic is different to the party'. But who of them would be innate?
I think you could see Frog for example as blue innate, because he has a natural resistance to water attacks(same with the other magic users).

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 02:37:19 pm »
Quote from: CyberSarkany
After Spekkio unlocked magic, Gaspar says something like there was a time when everyone had this magic abbility. But in Zeal, they say their kind of magic is different to the party'. But who of them would be innate?
I think you could see Frog for example as blue innate, because he has a natural resistance to water attacks(same with the other magic users).

Here are the two quotes you are talking about:

[Young Woman]
   Your power differs from ours...

In you I sense a strange aura
   of...kindness...

[Young Woman]
   My, you've got an unusual aura!
   So, you must possess the skill, too!

It must be very primitive compared to
   ours!
   You poor things!

It is believed that because the group's magic doesn't rely on Lavos's energy it gives off a different "aura". It is apparent that Zealians have the ability to sense if someone has magical powers.

One could argue the other way around, saying that since thier innate was unlocked that type of magical energy harms them less.

Darth Mongoose

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://darthmongoose.hyper-comix.com/home.html
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 05:21:14 am »
I think a person's innate element is to do with their inherent character traits. In fact, a few years back, I made a little quiz based on what I'd observed in Chrono Cross!
http://quizilla.com/users/darthmongoose/quizzes/What's%20your%20Chrono%20Cross%20innate%20element%3F/

If I redid the quiz of course, I'd take into account that really, Crono is more
likely to be a white innate than a yellow (not really sure, could be either).
But generally (there are some exceptions, but in general):
White/Heaven element are spiritually in tune, insightful and benevolent, but naive.
Black/Dark are intellegent and organised, but scheming and self serving.
Red/Fire are passionate and creative, but hot tempered.
Blue/Water are nurturing, level headed and brave, but hard to fathom.
Yellow/Earth are homely, stoic guardians who like the simple things.
Green/Air are lofty and adventurous and can be loners.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 10:10:04 am »
This could also be a different way:
If you are born with white innate, then your personality might become this insightful stuff.
Innate may change the way the personality is developed(wrong word I bet).

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 06:47:07 pm »
Or maybe the personality determines the Innate, because I doubt Schala is a Red Innate.