Author Topic: I spoke with Square Enix yesterday... [LOCKED]  (Read 1784 times)

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
I spoke with Square Enix yesterday... [LOCKED]
« on: August 12, 2005, 02:04:31 pm »
I vaguely questioned them about what might provoke them to issue a C&D, and the guy (his name was Carl) was clearly reading from some prewritten answer about if a site contains copyrighted material, then it's against their policy and they will take appropriate action, blah blah blah.

Now that policy technically puts every "Chrono" thing you see on the Internet (fans sites, Compendium and all) as being against policy and legally worthy of getting a C&D order.  I told him there are hundreds of Chrono fansites on the Internet, all using something at least as basic as the game's logo, a screenshot or a piece of Toriyama's concept art.  Would even sites such as that be against policy and worthy of a C&D order?  Carl responded by essentially repeating what he said earlier...damn robot.  I didn't press any further, seeing how I was getting nowhere.

So I think it's just the more prominent Chrono stuff that centers around projects (CTR, CTRP) that get those things.  Now the question is...the two examples I just cited were meant to be a game in and of themselves (even though CTRP was actually a giant mod for Unreal Tournament)...  But would an ongoing project like this one get a C&D?  We're not making a game, but this would be arguably more visible and well-known than your average random spoof...  Meh...

I, for one, will not back down until such a letter arrives at my doorstep, but I suggest we might think about making access to the files (and even the site) password-protected.  That way, from outside the passworded area, it looks like a basic, badly built, overambitious fansite.  On the INSIDE...COOLNESS. ^_^

If we do that, we shouldn't just post the password on the forum or anything...it should be distributed in like, mass PMs to each other and stuff.  I don't want a Squenix guy getting a hold of it, so I can basically try and field requests that way.  Fortunately they'll only need the password once, and it probably won't be anything hard to remember.  Anyway, that's my thought.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 02:27:23 pm »
I'd tend to agree; CTRP and CTR had the perceived threat of harming sales or bringing unnecessary attention to the Chrono series. They could actually mobilize a lot of fans, or pressure Square Enix towards doing something for the Chrono series, which might not fall in its schedule. It's a big no-no, especially because a Chrono Trigger Remake would attract so much attention. It'd be like stealing the thunder from the company. Meanwhile, all the fansites are mostly harmless and left alone by all gaming companies.

Ramsus

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 03:04:03 pm »
It's well known here that the much of the site content is used illegally, but we operate on the basis that Square Enix probably won't care enough to bother with legal action based on how they've neglected other fansites using similar properties. In order to preserve the open nature of the site, I think it's best not to hide content from users, so no part of this site will ever require any sort of password or account to access.

The problem with the Flash series project is that there's no real precedent to refer to that makes it clear how Square Enix would react. I would suggest working on it in secret and releasing it through decentralized p2p channels. As long as it isn't easily traced to a real person, Square Enix won't have anyone to send a C&D letter to.

As far as the Compendium goes though, no important part of the site will ever be taken down as part of a C&D letter. So long as I feel there's no moral reason against hosting something, I'll have to be dragged into a courtroom and commanded by a judge to take it down.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 03:10:46 pm »
We can use Newgrounds to release it, on that note. There are already plenty of CT spoofs and even a sort of sequel series with five episodes there already.

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 07:40:47 pm »
Nice. ;)  Compendium goers may know where and who the CT Flash originates from, but maybe it would be otherwise kinda mysterious to people who just find it at Newgrounds and stuff...

As for the hiding-the-content thing, I was suggesting that for a site off of Compendium.  If this is successful, it'll be bandwidth-intensive, and I'm sure you guys won't like that. :)

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 08:10:03 pm »
We aren't using much of the current bandwidth as it is, but we also host all big files separately courtesy of herograw. When the time comes, you might consider asking him for some hosting and asking Zeality to be a reference for you.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 12:40:28 am »
On Newgrounds won't we have to provide a name?

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 09:54:31 am »
Chrono Symphonic hasn't gotten one yet.  And it probably won't.  If it does, it's not like we'd listen anyway, though.  :):):):):):):):):D:D:D:D :twisted:

~.C.S.~