Poll

Which Prerelease feature would you have wanted in CT?

Singing Mountain & Lost Village
15 (38.5%)
Hover Epoch
0 (0%)
Playable 1999 A.D.
13 (33.3%)
Huge Heckran Cave w/ Whirlpools
0 (0%)
Playable Gaspar
7 (17.9%)
North Palace & Zeal Dungeon
4 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: August 06, 2005, 04:51:24 pm

Author Topic: Which Prerelease feature would you have wanted in CT?  (Read 5530 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« on: August 06, 2005, 04:51:24 pm »

The Chrono Trigger Prerelease, http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Trigger_Prerelease , offers several insights into areas and features that just didn't quite make it into the final version of Chrono Trigger. Some of these are pretty cool; it's your turn to decide which you would have chosen to be in the final game.

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 05:01:30 pm »
definetly 1999AD, seeing as i dont really know what half of the others are having never played the pre release, but playable 1999AD would of been cool beans.

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 07:41:30 pm »
Singing Mtn. & Lost village.  That's quite a bit of unique content to get cut.  The Prehistoric ages could've really used those areas, the eastern half of the world in the final version is very bare in comparison.

Forest Ruins & Zeal dungeon would be my second choice.

It's a good thing the hovercraft got removed, the auto-return bounce from warping to a bad spot is too much trouble.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 10:44:04 pm »
I voted for the Singing Mountain and Lost Village. My first instinct was to go for 1999 A.D., but I think both Chrono Trigger and the Chrono series benefit from leaving that era unplayable in the first Chrono game. The big draw of 1999 is to see the high technology and get a taste of dramatic premonition, because you as the player know that the world is about to be ruined. However, high technology and a foreknowledging of impending destruction are also the hallmarks of the 12,000 B.C. time period, which I think would be diminished by pulling the same dramatic stunt in another era in the same game. Furthermore, leaving 1999 as an enigma allows the possibility of setting some important action there later on in the series.

Meanwhile, the Singing Mountain and Lost Village might have provided a whole new level of depth to the 65 million B.C. era, and could have changed the character of that part of the game entirely. (We'll assume that this change would have been for the better, although that too is a valid point of debate.) Many people criticize the Prehistoric as being CT's least well-developed era, and while I don't necessarily agree with that, I do think that it was rather disjointed and dramatically loose with respect to itself. It seemed to be more a parade of ideas rather than the tightly-knit story that marked the other time periods. I'd like to have seen greater emphasis on the story of the rising tide of humanity against the Reptite order, and more cohesion amongst Prehistoric story elements in general.

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 11:22:23 pm »
I went with playable 1999 AD, but you all know me...  I WOULD have gone with playable Schala if that was even a choice! :lol:

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 12:21:11 am »
I voted Singing mountain and lost village.  

1999 A.D. I think would have simplified the plot too much.  "Get there, warn everyone," etc.  Certainly, it would have taken away from other areas of the game, probably 12,000 B.C.

Zeal dungeon and north palace I didn't vote for because a) I feel like the Ocean Palace/Black Omen covers that time period enough, and the whole area of Zeal was beautifully laid out, and it didn't really need much more.

Thus, I voted for singing mountain.  The song sounds like something really important that was in the game at one point, as the song made just for that one area implies.  So I feel like we were missing out on something big.  And it a beautiful song.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 10:14:41 am »
I went with North Palace and Zeal.
We just don't get enough of it. I love it soo much! I mean ,you could go to the Prehistoric era any time, but if you go back to Zeal after a few events, it won't be there anymore :'(

And I agree with the whole plot consept of 1999AD. If it were playable, then would warning do anything, etc?

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 11:04:05 am »
I noticed that this poll was created August 6th, and Zeality has been noticeably absent from the main forums... hmm.. Zeality you running a poll to put something a little extra in CTCE?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 11:48:23 am »
Since I haven't really messed around w/the Prerelease at all...I just went w/Gaspar...I'd want to see what Techs they'd give that crazy ol' coot.

Jasson Knight

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lunaescence.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 04:38:47 pm »
Ah crap, this one is tough.  I'd have liked to see all of them, frankly.  Because they weren't released, they're all highly intriguing to me.

Chrono Trigger could easily have been much longer and we all would have eaten it up.  Can you imagine the sidequests those areas could have encompassed?

Since I can't choose more than one, I went with 1999AD.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 05:08:30 pm »
Well, I just haven't been in the analysis forums in a long time. I'm getting ready for CT's 10th birthday.

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 05:36:41 pm »
You got something special planned?

fxar99

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Oh how I wish to dream again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 07:20:13 pm »
Huh... I'd like all of them, except the Hover Epoch and the Heckran Cave stuff. I voted for Singing Mountain.

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 07:33:37 pm »
Yeah, Hover Epoch doesn't sound too hot, and I hated -- *HATED!* -- Heckran's cave anyway.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 11:02:38 pm »
Yeah I despised Heckran Cave as well.  Boring colors, no music (unless you count drip drip drip as music), and I always thought it was long enough as it is!

As for Hover Epoch.. doesn't add a lot.  It's really just the stereotypical "here's an airship that can go everywhere except over mountains until you upgrade it".  And they got the same thing done with careful map editing and events anyway.  It wouldn't have added anything.