Author Topic: The Purpose of Fate [Finalized]  (Read 2977 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Purpose of Fate [Finalized]
« on: March 02, 2004, 06:08:00 pm »
Let us bring closure to this issue.

What was FATE's programmed purpose?

Scriptural Resources

Quote from: Lynx
Once the security card system was rebooteed, it would only grant access to you... the "arbiter." You can't imagine the trouble this caused the FATE computer system in achieving its objective.

Quote from: Lynx
Lynx: Nooo!  How could you...? I... FATE... the Goddess of Fate... was not meant to die...

Quote from: Belthasar
But then FATE sealed away the Dragon Gods' powers, in effect becoming a god itself. Thus the islands where the new godhead, FATE, existed came to be called the Sea of Eden instead.

It was FATE that used the power of the Flame to seal up the Dragon Gods. In reality, the Dragon Gods are in opposition to man, while FATE itself was actually the protector of humanity!

Originally it was a biological machine used to control the powers of nature in the future society of the Reptites. In order to control the natural energy itself, FATE divided the one Dragon God entity up into 6 weaker plasma life-forms...Then scattered them across the land and sealed them away.

Quote from: Marle
Perhaps even FATE itself dreamed of using the Flame to some day reincarnate itself into a new species. It is quite sad, really... It's like when you gaze into the Flame, the Flame gazes back into you.

Quote from: Ghost
As a matter of fact,
it is possible to simulate the thoughts and feelings of each individual. These are all just electric signals that flow around the circuitry of the brain, after all.  The vessels of flesh can be reproduced through cloning... And the "soul" stored within these fleshly vessels can be simulated as well...

Originally, El Nido was nothing but ocean.  The El Nido Archipelago is purely artificial, created by FATE. It was a remodeling plane that took place 10000 years ago. A plan to include island, blessed with nature, in the sea of El Nido. The main island of El Nido, Earth Dragon Isle, Water Dragon Isle, Black Dragon Isle... The development of
Elements, using the energy of the natural world... The distortion of memory terminal devices called the Records of Fate that could survey and guide people's lives... The research center staff, who had their memories erased, left the center, and began a life outside amidst nature. This is how FATE's paradise came into existence.

FATE not only imprints what actions the humans should take into their brains, but also rewrites their personalities and feelings.

And the answer is...

FATE has been manipulating the world of El Nido, in order to avoid any major change to the history it knows. If an event on El Nido influences the main continent, the year 2400, in which FATE exists, would change. This paradox could potentially lead to great disaster... The Records of Fate - FATE's Terminals ' - collect data from around the world,
and input guidance directly into the minds of its users. In this discreet way, FATE is able to control the lives of people without them knowing. Guided by fate, the people of El Nido lead a harmonious life. In a sense, they are nothing more than puppets of FATE...A plan to avoid any point of contact with the main continent, so as not to affect history.

Why create an archipelago to do this?

warmgun: Here's my beef with that: why would FATE introduce a whole new land mass complete with a large population of new people? To do this seems to ensure that the timeline is altered. FATE should have submerged both the Terra Tower and Chronopolis in the sea completely and killed off all of the people in the facility. Furthermore, the second dark moon should have been destroyed.

Serge-Necessitation Theory
Ybrik Metaknight

Consider: we don't know who Serge's ancestors were. They might have been Porrean settlers (in which case there's a chance he would have existed without the effects of the Time Crash). However, as ZeaLitY pointed out to me a couple of nights ago, the Arni Villagers seem very much...at home and native to their area. That is, it seems like most of the Arni Villagers had been living there for countless generations, not merely since the Porrean colonization of A.D. 920. That leads me to believe that Serge was more likely descended from the Chronopolis colonization, not too long after the Time Crash. In other words, he would not have existed had FATE not allowed Chronopolis to colonize El Nido (or had FATE never made an El Nido to colonize).

Belthasar probably knew that in order for his plan to work, Serge would have to exist, and therefore El Nido would have to be colonized, and therefore FATE would have to create the islands of El Nido and allow the Chronopolis staff to colonize it. He probably had a specific program written to allow this to happen. So while FATE may not have known it (FATE probably knew absolutely nothing about Project Kid), part of its very purpose was to allow the existence and colonization of El Nido.

Worker-Arbitration Theory
Lochtiel

Yes, FATE should have destroyed both itself and all the Chronopolis employees, but on the other hand commiting suicide isn't an easy thing to do. I'm willing to bet the workers didn't really want to die, so the next best option was to erase their memories and hope for the best.

Besides, FATE couldn't very well destroy the dragon god entirely - only put a seal on it to keep it from gaining its full power. In other words, FATE needed to stay around to monitor that situation and make sure the dragon wouldn't get loose anytime soon. She also probably thought it wouldn't be too difficult a task to guide a few hundred people for the next 10,000 years. Aside from Porre I'd say she was doing a pretty good job.[/i]

Why was Lynx a sadist? His unnecessary actions transcend the pragmatism of AI.

Wazuki-Sadism Theory
ZeaLitY

I hold that, considering Wazuki's mental corruption from nearing the Frozen Flame, he retained warped behavior even though he had been assimilated by FATE. He carried out its actions -- abducting Lucca and attempting to murder Serge -- however, the crazed person within remained present in personality. His mind's defiling from killing his son in Another World's history served as the catalyst for his submission to the AI.

Was FATE cognizant of Project Kid?

FATE knew not of the Prometheus Circuit, and objected to perishing even in the end -- a lament of failing to meet its purpose of self-preservation, rather than the higher purpose of defeating the Time Devourer. It is thus extremely likely that FATE knew nothing of the true aim of Project Kid.

Why did Mother Brain go berserk?

Planet-Programming Theory
Shevat Operativ

When humans build robots and machines, their AI is modeled after themselves as it is the most advanced kind of thinking they know. Also, since the will to survive is among the greatest feelings in humans, it isn't a long shot to assume that when they programmed the AI for both FATE and Mother Brain, the best ways of survival would be desired by the machines.

Also, I don't think that the original creators could have programmed things like "caring for life-forms" or some such. when the machines want to carry out their goals, they think of the greatest possibility and try to carry it out, apparently regardless of whether or not humans must be sacrificed.

This leads me to believe that mother brain was built to help preserve the planet and was giving a kind of evolving AI script so that it could adapt to the different changes in the planet. Mother Brain took the best steps to see to the planet's survival, even if it meant eliminating humans.

What was Robo's intended purpose?

Robo is cast first as a security guard, and later as an observer of humans (albeit being labeled such by a crazy machine whose nature is new to Robo).

Robo-C3PO Theory
Ybrik Metaknight

Hey, has anyone thought that maybe Robo was never originally programmed to observe and eventually eradicate humans? Perhaps he was programmed as, I don't know, a protocol droid versed in 2 million languages or something, and the rest of the RY series and Mother Brain told him what they told him to manipulate him into doing their bidding.

While machines aren't typically portrayed of being capable of this degree of manipulation and coercion, I think that if the survival element was important, this could have been the case.

Support:

warmgun: I suppose I always considered Robo just an all-purpose robot. I can see humanity mass producing Robos and making upgrades, attatchments, and such to allow robo to fulfill a myriad a functions. This would explain why robo has the ability to swap guns and arms. Tt would also explain why robo is capable of tilling land, lol!

Robo-Combat Theory
Shevat Operativ

His tech attacks should be an indicator. Lasers, powerful hits, the ability to replace his hand with more powerful hands; all that sort of stuff makes him best suited for combat I think, which leads me to believe that he was originally intended for battle.

Refutation

Ybrik Metaknight: But could he not have been intended for defensive combat, rather than [destruction]?

--Thread finalized. It should be noted that this discussion was formatory in its time. I've extracted relevant points.--