Author Topic: The dream after the Magus battle. (meaning)  (Read 2287 times)

legaiaflame

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
The dream after the Magus battle. (meaning)
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:15:54 pm »
So, I've been thinking about that dream Crono has after the Magus battle; just before you wake up in Ayla's hut. What is it's meaning?

In the dream, Marle wakes you up just like Crono's mother at the beginning of the game. She tells Crono to go out and get a job and to stop sponging off her dad; the king.

From what I can gather; this is a dream or rather vision, of the future. Crono ultimately will end up with Marle, both living in his mother's house for a short time, before they get married. Also, before this, Alya apparently, had a prophetic dream as well, about Crono and crew laying unconscious on Mystic Mountain. That's how you ended up in her hut. She knew to go there and get you from her dream.

I guess sometimes our dreams can give us visions of the future? Any other thoughts?

Redslash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Twitch.tv/Redslash
Re: The dream after the Magus battle. (meaning)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 10:22:23 pm »
I'm not sure what the dream means, but from a design perspective it's pretty cool - it's one of only 2 cutscenes where you have no control over progressing the text (all automated), which conveys the feeling that you've been knocked unconscious... The 2nd instance is just after Crono has died: the Fall of Zeal.
Also interesting is that after that dream sequence, and not before, the game begins showing you scenes that the characters couldn't possibly have witnessed (for example, Schala and Queen Zeal's interactions deep in the Ocean Palace). To a lesser degree, we're also shown things like a vision of Belthasar in Keeper's Dome, although we may never have visited there. Oh, and Lavos flying through space on his collision course. So, the dream marks a cool change in direction, and gives us a moment to let the reality sink in that Magus didn't create Lavos, and all that.

Ok... now that I've thought about it, maybe this "dream" is when Crono is momentarily awakened back to *real life,* and Chrono Trigger is the dream world, which he (we) quickly slips back into... haha. I feel like I may have read this idea before, somewhere =)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:24:38 pm by Redslash »

legaiaflame

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 06:39:48 am »
That's a good theory; I like it. Chrono trigger is the dream!

Toby

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 04:29:52 pm »
It also represents the mid-way point in the game for me. Starts, middles, and ends with the sound of Leene's bell. It's a cool respite and nice to remind the player of their humble beginnings.

I really love this scene but I know a lot of people hate it. 

Arc_Impulse

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:27:50 pm »
Honestly, I always thought that it was just that - a dream. One of those cliches, where the protagonist has a dream that they are married to the leading female. I personally never read too much farther into it.

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 06:47:45 pm »
I would've never notice all that stuff, that's pretty cool.

I just thought it was a "calm after the storm" kind of scene, like in a TV series one episode would have a dramatic ending and then the next starts slow. Of course the dream being a premonition is pretty much implicit by the whole game's theme, but it could also be a window to a different dimension entirely (maybe that's why this scene and the one at the start of the game are so similar).

Also, about the game being a dream, remember:

"Am I butterfly dreaming I'm a man? Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of sashimi? Never assume what you see and feel is real!"

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 10:14:54 am »
It can be taken as a mere premonition.

Or taken more darkly, the majority of the dream itself is a nightmarish subversion of future-telling dreams, with it starting out as wish-fulfillment, with the real foreshadowing being that Crono can't wake up, indicating that this future is NOT to be.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 04:50:53 pm »
It can be taken as a mere premonition.

Or taken more darkly, the majority of the dream itself is a nightmarish subversion of future-telling dreams, with it starting out as wish-fulfillment, with the real foreshadowing being that Crono can't wake up, indicating that this future is NOT to be.
Both are believe... who knows what makers thinks...

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 04:20:14 am »
"Am I butterfly dreaming I'm a man? Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of sashimi? Never assume what you see and feel is real!"

Not to be a purist, but I'd like to add the retranslation of those lines:

The world that you see with your eyes and the
   world that I see with my eyes may be
   completely different things.

Do you understand? All that exists in the universe are the
   destinies of lives. Don't think that only what you can
   see and touch are reality.

It also represents the mid-way point in the game for me. Starts, middles, and ends with the sound of Leene's bell. It's a cool respite and nice to remind the player of their humble beginnings.

I really love this scene but I know a lot of people hate it. 

I like this interpretation. Leene's Bell serves a thematic purpose, signaling the beginning, middle, and end of the whole crazy adventure.