Author Topic: A theory about Chrono  (Read 3941 times)

Luminaire

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« on: August 03, 2005, 10:42:15 pm »
Trust me, I know this is so far fetched it isnt funny, but is it at all possible that crono DREAMED everything that happened in ct? I thought about it because the game starts with him waking up and ends that way as well. What if he never actually woke up, and it was all a dream?
See the quote in my signature, from Doreen in Zeal.
"Am I a butterfly dreaming I’m a man? Or a bowling ball dreaming I’m a
plate of sashimi?  Never assume what you see or feel is real."
What was the purpose of Doreen saying this? Perhaps Zeal was a part of Crono's dream that was speaking to him through his dream.. Zeal was supposed to be the place of the enligtened ones, was Doreen trying to enlighten Crono about something? Who is Doreen? I don't know, I'm sort of confused with it all, and I know it sounds kind of stupid. Open for discussion, I'd like some feedback on it.
Btw, if this has already been discussed, well I just joined. Great site though.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 11:01:01 pm »
It's an interesting theory, I personally wouldn't buy it, but it theoretically possible.  However, it wouldn't change anything about the game really.  We'd still argue about how the Masamune became evil, what this person said and what it affected.  So basically, even if it is a dream, all of us are basically interested about what's hapenning inside of the dream.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 11:48:09 pm »
Well under that theory then nothing from Cross would happen, unless it is part of Crono's dream too? Its a fun idea, but since he is woken up by the guard about the trial which would have happened in the dream it is not possible.

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 11:49:11 pm »
Interesting...
Starting from that the story is a dream, its possible that we can extract some knowledge about Crono mind.
Any Freud os Jung disciple here to do this?

Luminaire

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 11:56:16 pm »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
Well under that theory then nothing from Cross would happen, unless it is part of Crono's dream too? Its a fun idea, but since he is woken up by the guard about the trial which would have happened in the dream it is not possible.

I know, I was thinking that. But maybe he's only dreaming of the guard waking him up as well? lol, its really farfetched. But can anyone answer what Doreens purpose is? Oh and Ive never beat chrono cross, got about 10 hours into and lost interest.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 01:11:51 am »
If its a dream, whats the point of arguing anything about it?  Dreams don't have to be rational.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 02:39:04 am »
So it's a dream that lasts days...and in which he wakes up multiple times...? And...has at least one dream in?

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 02:50:50 am »
It's not a dream, for the sole purpose a human mind can't think of so many ideas and personalities at once. Well, it could, actually, but unless Crono's an up and coming writer I doubt he could.

And Doreen says her quote because she embodies dreams. Mastermune is Grand Dream. Even her name means dreams.

I'm happy you like to connect bits who are seemingly unconnected, it could really help sometimes, but like you said yourself, it's too far-fetched. If it's anyone's dream, it's the entity's. "The Fated Hour" or "The Final Battle" are in fact called: "The end of our planet's dream" in the Japanese version, and then there's: "For all the dreamers! Our planet's dream is not over yet..."

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 05:08:44 am »
Quote from: Legend
Mastermune is Grand Dream

Wat does dat mean?

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 07:24:13 am »
mastermune is a mistake in translation, its suposed to be called grand dream.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 07:51:01 am »
Hmm, no, it's not a mistake in translation for the sole reason it wasn't even a translation. Mastermune means Grand Dream in Japanese. They just took the words as they're spoken in Japaense to give a cool weapon a cool name...

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 09:13:19 am »
fair enough,

they just didnt translate it.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 10:03:07 am »
Plus I tink they just wanted to emphasize that you're holding the same sword that Frog had, if they translated it to Grand Dream casual players might not have picked up on it.  

Kind of like Slash, Flea and Ozzie.  Obviously not the "correct" translation of their Japanese names (I'm STRONGLY assuming they're not called that in the jap version, correct me if I'm wrong.)

kazmaka

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 10:15:54 am »
the reason they call the sword mastermune is because in trigger and before its the mastermune its called the masamune because it soudns cooler than calling it grand, erm grand wind is it? i forgot what the other one means, but if they decided to translate on chross but not on trigger that would just be stupid, and they didnt. i think this is what mune and doreen stand for, correct me if im wrong and can someone post the meaning of the other one

mune - grand
doreen - dream

the mastermune is doreen and mune therefore it is grand dream, the masamune is masa and mune and is grand ---- (wind i think).

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
A theory about Chrono
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 10:50:46 am »
The Mastermune is Doreen, Masa and Mune. Which would lead me to think the Mastermune is stronger then the Masamune.