Author Topic: The Backasaurus?  (Read 5119 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
The Backasaurus?
« on: June 03, 2016, 11:51:19 am »
So, where was I...? Honestly, I have no idea. Years ago I was a depressed sad sack of shit. My gf dumped me for not getting a job and I put a lonesome suicide attempt or two under my belt.

:picardno

Still don't have a job, but my now gf is supportive and we help each other (and her family we share living space with).

:shock:

Anyways, it turns out I'm one of those people who's terrible at keeping in touch with friends/family when I'm in a relationship. My best friend at the time of the breakup was going through the passing of his father and my new relationship had me move across country (I'm living it up in Florida now), so even we grew apart (though I spoke to him briefly on FB recently).

As for gaming & the forum...idk, Square changing so dramatically over the years (from talent leaving to form their own teams, director changes, their legal team throwing out all them C&D's to fan projects and just in general leaving turn-based behind) really made me lose hope for anything Chrono (at this point I think I'd prefer they hand the license over to some other dev to do something with). Also, when I moved I got a 360 and still play it quite a bit even now that its "last gen". gt: "V Translanka"...haven't emulated much of anything (had a GBA emu up on my iPad for a while), but did finally get my first Nintendo handheld since my old v1.2 (Play It Loud!) original Gameboy: a New 3DS! Only have Pokemon X (sad that they can't make it play GBA games properly), but whatever, I do enjoy glassesless 3D...my Friend Code: 3196 - 7071 - 0573

I don't know how active I'll be here, but there ya go...

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: The Backasaurus?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 12:45:07 am »
Hey man, life hits us hard sometimes. For some people, it hits much harder. I've never been where you're at in life, so I can't honestly say that I can relate, but I hope you hang in there. Depression is a heavy burden -- don't let guilt or shame pin you down if you can help it.

Also, adult life tends to make people drift apart. Everyone experiences it, and few people manage to do anything about it. I've experienced it myself, but life events can sometimes bring people back together for a short while. Enjoy those moments whenever you can.

As for Square, I know what you mean. They've become a big time publisher for all sorts of IPs now, and all the old magic from their developer days is almost gone.

I don't game much anymore, but when I do, it's a Bethesda game. I was never much of a social gamer though, and games these days seem to be all about the online stuff.

Anyway, enjoy the weather down there.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:46:30 am »
Thread revival...

I'm with Ramsus. I play very little video games nowadays but tend to have an affinity for Bethesda games. I know that I can play them for dozens of hours without getting bored, have a great time exploring, and still have a decent storyline to keep me engaged (when I want to follow a storyline). I have maybe 2000 hours or more in Skyrim over the past five years... :/ I'm just not an online gaming kind of guy. I've even tried ESO but can't do it.

Every once and a while I'll play a jRPG. Currently replaying Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on an emulator for my PSP. I do a lot of PS1/SNES/GBA gaming on my PSP since I can take it on the go. Just a thought, Translanka.

Anyway, glad you've stayed strong and stayed with us. Life is worth living; this is all we have. Glad to see you popped in here a few months back (like I'm doing now).

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 01:21:45 pm »
Howdy howdy. Good to see some familiar faces... well, familiar names. I thought I'd pop on by to say hello.

I don't play much video games these days either. For the longest time, I was obsessed with League of Legends... then gave that up for DOTA 2, and now don't play either of them. I'm busy with Grad School and full time work anyway. I moved to a very remote part of West Texas to be an Archivist for the regional archives here... It's nice and I'm pretty happy for the most part. Some day I would like to become a Special Collections Director and teach some history classes on the side.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 01:30:32 am »
We need to change the title to "Permanent Global Moderator".

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 02:07:54 am »

Bahaha! Always the rule enforcing Global Moderator.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 12:46:51 pm »
Oh man, moderating the way I was doing got so TIRING! And the thing is I knew immediately when I was asked what would happen (ah the illustrious draw of power and the inevitable corruption that comes with it). It was fun in its own way too, don't get me wrong (I hope I didn't come across as too stick-in-the-mud), but I don't think I could ever go back to editing what felt like every other post like that again. lol

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 03:10:27 pm »
Oh man, moderating the way I was doing got so TIRING! And the thing is I knew immediately when I was asked what would happen (ah the illustrious draw of power and the inevitable corruption that comes with it). It was fun in its own way too, don't get me wrong (I hope I didn't come across as too stick-in-the-mud), but I don't think I could ever go back to editing what felt like every other post like that again. lol

Two thoughts.

1.) You were always entertaining, sometimes unintentionally so. Then again, I was never one to tiptoe out of line, so I never ran afoul of the glorious V_Translanka moderator hammer. But you weren't bad. It was fun. Hell, it's still fun.

2.) You really should start coming back around more often. With the activity here it's starting to feel cozy and welcoming. It's nice to be able to refresh the Compendium several times a day and have new posts each time!

Suffice to say, we miss ya.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:10:36 am »

I think you mean Permanent Interim Global Moderator.  :P

This is hilarious!

Nice to see ya back, V.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 12:53:23 am »
I moved down to Florida some 10-odd years ago now & relationship-adopted 5 cats. I'm still in the relationship & own 5 cats, but as of today none of those original 5. Cinnamon, Saucy (whom this thread is partially named after), Licky, Bitsy & Milo were great cats who will be missed...RIP 😢

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 12:54:24 am »
RIP, little meow-meows.

Florida is nice. Not sure where you're from originally, but have you been able to claim the 'Florida Man' title yet?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 06:31:06 pm »
RIP kitties.

Mine knocked things off a table in their honor.