Author Topic: Requesting a particular sound file from CC  (Read 4150 times)

Kundalineage

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Requesting a particular sound file from CC
« on: March 28, 2016, 07:34:18 pm »
Im looking for a sound file of the Save Point/Records of Fate 'chime' sound effect, but WITHOUT music playing in the background. In other words, i need a perfect file copy of the chimey sound effect that plays when you are walking through a save point.

If anyone could help me with this, i would greatly appreciate it, as i've searched all over and can't seem to find any pages w/ a list of sound effects. Including this site.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting a particular sound file from CC
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:34:30 pm »
Heya Kundalineage, welcome to the party!

So way back when, we had a thread on Chrono Cross sounds. That went into some nitty-gritty territory, but I link it here in case you end up getting interested in a wider investigation.

The reason why there isn't more documented on Chrono Cross sound files is (IMO) that the storage was so darn messy. Each room has its own dedicated file archive on disc, containing a set of character models and sound effects particular to that environment. Therefore, sounds are replicated all over the disc, making manual documentation a chore. I figure it was designed this way for quick loading: if the game engine can just bust all the resources it needs right now out of a single archive, it doesn't have to spend as much time searching the disc for files.

Anyway, you can use a program called PSound to hunt for sounds on the Chrono Cross discs and convert them to .WAV files. It'll be like ye olde needle in a haystack, but on the bright side, that needle will occur as many times as there are save points if I'm remembering this stuff correctly.

Kundalineage

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:43:16 pm »
oh my glob, you made it even better!

i have no qualms searching myself, and you just gave me my base :D

i did however get impatient, post O.post, and turned on the game to see what save files i still had myself. i had to find a place to manually record the sound via phone then xfer over to computer to try and rework the sound.. not to much avail, but this is what i came up with.

https://clyp.it/0rwxvplz

hopefully i can find the clean version of the sound, i still have all my discs in legit condition!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 01:10:40 am »
Have we ripped all Cross sound effects, similar to the CT sound effect packs? Completely cannot remember, and this thread has been sitting on my update to-do list forever...

itoikenza

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • thx! Danetta utunnels alfadorredux prizvel kennedn
    • View Profile
    • YT!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:48:37 am »
oh my glob, you made it even better!

i have no qualms searching myself, and you just gave me my base :D

i did however get impatient, post O.post, and turned on the game to see what save files i still had myself. i had to find a place to manually record the sound via phone then xfer over to computer to try and rework the sound.. not to much avail, but this is what i came up with.

https://clyp.it/0rwxvplz

hopefully i can find the clean version of the sound, i still have all my discs in legit condition!

use this cheat to turn off music. ALL Music! but keep SFX on. like the save chime... etc.

No music,Sfx on
8008E404 0001