Author Topic: Beta Testing & Bug Reports  (Read 3555 times)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Beta Testing & Bug Reports
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2005, 05:28:29 pm »
I don't recognize the Medina Square lyrics, but I have a friend who does.  That friend's name is Google.  From what I found, it's from an anime called The Big O.  The lyrics, suffice it to say, weren't generally my kind of music, since it sounds like generic pop.  I prefer either orchestral or metal, but neither of those fit with a female singer.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2005, 06:47:16 pm »
I forget what the books in the Vanguard Library say, but the right-most one is incorrect; it says "returneth", -eth is the ending for 3rd person singular, not 2nd person , and since it's a command, I'm assuming the ending would be of 2nd person... I think it should be 'returnst', can someone back me up on that? I dunno if that's a direct quote from CT or if it was made up, but I think it should be fixed regardless

Oswego del Fuego

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/moon/dandymasher/schala.html
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2005, 11:41:01 pm »
Okay, I'm just going to list everything I found.  I'm sure my notes will overlap those in previous posts.

Bugs and glitches:

1.) The sky over the bridge in the intro is busted.

2.) Robo's statue at Leene Square is mising a tile.

3.) The date given on the overworld map needs to be updated.

4.) PCs walk over parts of Fiona's Shrine on the world map, as well as some of the trees to the immediate west.

5.) Sometimes, wall tiles inside houses and other buildings do not match.  They appear to be tiles that go in front of a window (appear to show streaming sunlight), but they are placed where no window exists.  I first noticed this at the Porre barracks, but it occurs in other places, too.

6.) The story item descriptions are a mess.

7.) The wind sound effect starts to play when you enter the Medina Auxillary, but then immediately cuts out and goes to the proper music.

8.) I got more broken sound that quickly corrected itself when entering the Medina elder's house and market.

9.) At one point, the female vocalist is referred to as a "he."

10.) The tile for Heckran's cave really should be removed.

11.) Boxes, torches, and chair tops in the basement of the Vanguard base overlap the PCs.

12.) Broken dialogue in the soldiers' quarters at Guardia Castle.

13.) The path to the prison at Guardia Castle is SEVERELY broken.

14.) Typo.  When talking about the Sun Stone, there is one part where the dialogue given is "on the Sun Stone."  I think the "on" needs to be deleted.

Suggestions:

1.) Crono's journal is a very nice touch, but it needs a "sparkly" or something to draw the player's attention to it.  I think most players would probably miss it.

2.) If Marle is now living with Crono, perhaps the house should be expanded?  They ARE royalty, after all.

3.) Since the fair is long over, Leene Square really should get new overworld graphics.  Basically, just remove the balloons.

4.) Along similar lines, the "start of the fair" sequence at the beginning of the game needs to go (obviously).

5.) The clanging noise at Leene Square is VERY annoying.  Please remove it.

6.) Adding readable descriptions to the hero statues would be a nice touch.  I would REALLY like to see the plaque for Nadia's Bell which we get to view in Cross added here.

7.) The deforested area northwest of Porre looks unnaturally flat.  I would restore the trees at the very bases of the mountains, because the mountain tiles look a little funky when naked.  I would then fill in most of the remaining space with desert tiles, for a more wasted (and more fleshed-out) look.

8.) I think Porre should have more hostile-sounding overworld music.

9.) Crono's portrait is GREAT, but Lucca's is flat.  There just isn't enough contrast once you convert the image into the Lucca portrait color palette.  I'm not sure how to fix this, but increasing the contrast of Lucca's skin tones on the original image might help.

10.) Maybe the chest at the pyramid should be removed, since Crono and company presumably already opened it last time (and seeing as the other chests, like the one at Truce Inn, remain absent).

11.) If possible, extend the zones wherein "town music" is played on the overworld.  Medina should include the two new buildings, and I'd argue that Truce should extend all the way to the Vanguard post and the new cathedral.

Praise:

1.) I love how the overall manner and demeanor of the characters, right down to the nameless NPCs, was preserved.  A perfect example is the maid at Truce Inn.  You can just immediately feel that this is the same character from Trigger.

2.) You did a great job of setting up the eventual war with Porre, and making the leap from Trigger's Porre to Cross's Porre seem more natural.

3.) The remixed music is great.  The catherdral theme is so atmospheric and kind of gothic.  Perfect for a holy shrine of any kind.  I also really liked the remixed tune when the Porre losers showed up.  Frankly, I was very skeptical of the whole SPC remixing idea, but its worth has been proven IMO.

4.) After some of the earlier discussion, I was impressed by how overall bug-free the demo is.  Can't wait to see more!

I must say, playing the demo has made me ten times more excited than I already was.  Great work, everybody!!!

OdF

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2005, 12:05:27 am »
Quote from: Oswego del Fuego
Okay, I'm just going to list everything I found.  I'm sure my notes will overlap those in previous posts.

Bugs and glitches:

1.) The sky over the bridge in the intro is busted.

2.) Robo's statue at Leene Square is mising a tile.

3.) The date given on the overworld map needs to be updated.

4.) PCs walk over parts of Fiona's Shrine on the world map, as well as some of the trees to the immediate west.

5.) Sometimes, wall tiles inside houses and other buildings do not match.  They appear to be tiles that go in front of a window (appear to show streaming sunlight), but they are placed where no window exists.  I first noticed this at the Porre barracks, but it occurs in other places, too.

6.) The story item descriptions are a mess.

7.) The wind sound effect starts to play when you enter the Medina Auxillary, but then immediately cuts out and goes to the proper music.

8.) I got more broken sound that quickly corrected itself when entering the Medina elder's house and market.

9.) At one point, the female vocalist is referred to as a "he."

10.) The tile for Heckran's cave really should be removed.

11.) Boxes, torches, and chair tops in the basement of the Vanguard base overlap the PCs.

12.) Broken dialogue in the soldiers' quarters at Guardia Castle.

13.) The path to the prison at Guardia Castle is SEVERELY broken.

14.) Typo.  When talking about the Sun Stone, there is one part where the dialogue given is "on the Sun Stone."  I think the "on" needs to be deleted.

Suggestions:

1.) Crono's journal is a very nice touch, but it needs a "sparkly" or something to draw the player's attention to it.  I think most players would probably miss it.

2.) If Marle is now living with Crono, perhaps the house should be expanded?  They ARE royalty, after all.

3.) Since the fair is long over, Leene Square really should get new overworld graphics.  Basically, just remove the balloons.

4.) Along similar lines, the "start of the fair" sequence at the beginning of the game needs to go (obviously).

5.) The clanging noise at Leene Square is VERY annoying.  Please remove it.

6.) Adding readable descriptions to the hero statues would be a nice touch.  I would REALLY like to see the plaque for Nadia's Bell which we get to view in Cross added here.

7.) The deforested area northwest of Porre looks unnaturally flat.  I would restore the trees at the very bases of the mountains, because the mountain tiles look a little funky when naked.  I would then fill in most of the remaining space with desert tiles, for a more wasted (and more fleshed-out) look.

8.) I think Porre should have more hostile-sounding overworld music.

9.) Crono's portrait is GREAT, but Lucca's is flat.  There just isn't enough contrast once you convert the image into the Lucca portrait color palette.  I'm not sure how to fix this, but increasing the contrast of Lucca's skin tones on the original image might help.

10.) Maybe the chest at the pyramid should be removed, since Crono and company presumably already opened it last time (and seeing as the other chests, like the one at Truce Inn, remain absent).

11.) If possible, extend the zones wherein "town music" is played on the overworld.  Medina should include the two new buildings, and I'd argue that Truce should extend all the way to the Vanguard post and the new cathedral.

Praise:

1.) I love how the overall manner and demeanor of the characters, right down to the nameless NPCs, was preserved.  A perfect example is the maid at Truce Inn.  You can just immediately feel that this is the same character from Trigger.

2.) You did a great job of setting up the eventual war with Porre, and making the leap from Trigger's Porre to Cross's Porre seem more natural.

3.) The remixed music is great.  The catherdral theme is so atmospheric and kind of gothic.  Perfect for a holy shrine of any kind.  I also really liked the remixed tune when the Porre losers showed up.  Frankly, I was very skeptical of the whole SPC remixing idea, but its worth has been proven IMO.

4.) After some of the earlier discussion, I was impressed by how overall bug-free the demo is.  Can't wait to see more!

I must say, playing the demo has made me ten times more excited than I already was.  Great work, everybody!!!

OdF

The sky: Yeah, the tiles are a little mismatched. I'll fix that in the next update.

Robo's statue: Yep, fixed already. It'll be ready in the next update.

Date: Oops. <_<

Overworld tile overlaps: Not my area...

Windows: Yeah, there were windows there. Zeality needs to remove the light streaming down, eh?

Story items: Haven't noticed, but I'll give it a look.

Music: Fixed in the next update.

Typos: Fixed etc etc

Guardia basement and prison path: Will be blocked off. I used the upper prison area for the title screen, or attempted to, anyway. It didn't work well.

Porre: It's supposed to become grassland, so I don't think desert tiles would be that appropriate.

Chest: Only the sealed chests are events. Normal chests will need to be edited by other means.

Overworld music: Not quite possible YET

Leene Square on the overworld: The problem is the balloons are ingrained into those tiles... They CAN'T be removed.

Clanging soldiers: Will probably be moved to the Vanguard patio. Sound effect will be left in their coding because two soldiers bumping into each other quietly is just weird.

Anything I missed typing after scrolling up and down so much: Will be working on it and probably fix it in the update.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2005, 12:14:45 am »
Ok, so this is more a game-related suggestion, but I think Crono's mom should remind Crono of his tasks, rather than just saying "Come talk to me when you're finished". I kind of rushed through the window where she tells you where to go, so I forget whom I'm supposed to give stuff to... I found the person to whom the pies goes, and I accidentally found the other one (not the one with the sword)... I found her in the Medina bar thing, but to me she looked like a flowerpot, and I'm not sure if that's what she's supposed to look like, or if it's an event error of some kind
The problem is that I can't find the person for the sword, and I can't get into Guardia castle, but I'm not sure if the forest is SUPPOSED to be invisibly blocked off or not

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2005, 12:34:01 am »
It's in the cathedral, in a room behind the right altar. Someone in the Arboretum is supposed to confirm that place; the entrance is also where the entrance to the Mystic's cathedral place was in the 600 A.D. chapel.

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2005, 03:42:37 am »
New update!

Edits: Finished some more minor glitch fixing, and added a new cutscene to the end.

http://www.geocities.com/divinedragoonkain/BetaPatch4.zip

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
bugs for new update
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2005, 01:36:13 pm »
I feel like a jerk mentioning these bugs but i know if you're a perfectionist like me you'd probably want it so here's a few small problems i noticed.

Bench goes above Crono's head in Leene square (upper left)

Right pillar at cathedral does the same thing

When CML are getting shelled Crono's left foot is covered up by the grass

Still lot's of dialogue trouble in Truce's Mayor's Manor the shelter guy and two people upstairs.  

I liked how Marle takes you downstairs now and if it's not to difficult of an explanation I would be interested to know what the problem was before.  Though I'm not nearly as experienced as you guys I have been known to mess around with the Flux as I've been known to call it.

Compliment:  I loved Magus' scene at the very end, are you guys keeping those short cut scenes or was that only for the beta, cause I really liked how that flowed.  Great work everyone.

--JP

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2005, 01:40:39 pm »
Crono can go halfway in the right wall in the medina ferry house. and the book on the second stall in the same place over laps crono's head.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2005, 02:00:23 pm »
I would strongly suggest that if you are going to name the patches by date, that you put the year prior to the month.  This allows the patches to fall into a natural alphabetic order.

(edit)

You now have a pretty well rounded demo.  Just work out the few remaining bugs.

Two suggestions:
* You should probably have the nun say that Renault is at the Vanguard earlier on instead of in the chapel (since he does not arrive until later)
* After the "coming soon" dialog, you should probably change location back to the opening instead of leaving them at a dead screen.

---T.Geiger

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2005, 03:06:22 pm »
Those last scenes, ie. the ones with Kino, and with Glenn, and the one with Magus... are those going to be used for an intro movie (if that is even possible to do in Temporal Flux)... because they would work very nicely for that, I think.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2005, 04:41:29 pm »
They'll be at the end for dramatic effect, since they're a pretty big feature.

Oswego del Fuego

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/moon/dandymasher/schala.html
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2005, 04:45:51 pm »
Really minor thing:  There is a single brown pixel floating in midair on the world map.  It's just north of the mayor's house in Truce.  Crono passes under it.  I don't recall it being there before.

OdF

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2005, 04:59:14 pm »
Yeah, the pixel's always been there, methinks.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2005, 09:00:41 pm »
What happened to fighting the porrean ambassador person? I also liked the idea of fighting back the Porrean army.. Are those ideas completely cut, or have they just not been put in yet? Also, how exactly do CML get to Denadoro Mt.? They jump from the inside of Guardia Castle and land in Denadoro Mt.? I liked fighting back the Porrean Army and taking shelter in the Masamune cave better....

EDIT: I think I ran into a big problem; if you don't get the ferry money from Crono's mom before you deliver the 3 items Lucca never appears at the house to pick Crono up

EDIT: I was able to give the sword to Renault two more times, and, after that, Lucca appeared at Crono's house