Author Topic: Beta Testing & Bug Reports  (Read 3600 times)

Daniel Krispin

Beta Testing & Bug Reports
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 02:17:58 am »
I figure that most everything has been found so far in the way of bugs, so I'll just note some minor things that aren't bugs per say. Firstly, the man in the Medina square says 'seeling' instead of 'selling'. Secondly, and this is more general... I noticed a tendency for the dialogue to have a period break, then continue, but break up the next sentence between two message boxes. I would recommend that if the second sentence will not fit onto the first message box, give it a new one. It gives the game a better look overall.

Oh, by the way... was Lucca supposed to be around during the last segments? Because she seemed for all accounts there in voice and spirit, but in no wise there in a corporeal form.

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 03:24:07 am »
Lucca's not there? I'm assuming that's because you are entering Guardia Forest too early. Zeality meant to disable that entrance, but...

Anyway, we were also aware of the early Guardia Castle scene. But thanks.

In addition, I am temporarily in charge of error management.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 04:04:31 am »
Here's a rather queer one: it seems that one step north and one step east of Lucca's house there is an even that brings up 'an'. When one chooses to enter it, it brings one to the Medina Ferry station, albeit with an invisible hero.

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 11:02:40 am »
Ah, yes. Thank you. That was the Heckran Cave entrance. It needs to removed, methinks.

Asuyuka

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2005, 02:59:37 pm »
Well, I've played it (a couple days ago), and, apparently, about everything has been reported.

Nyar. =P

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2005, 02:12:47 am »
Attention, everyone!

I was unable to connect to herograw with the FTP program Zeality linked me to, so I am hosting the new Beta patch on my Geocities account. Due to the nature of Geocities, it could go down after so many downloads, so first come, first serve. =P

EDIT: An update. I'm aware some of you have unique browser settings that causes caches to save the previous folder instead of the new one. So I took the liberty of renaming this one. =)

ANOTHER EDIT: Also, MUCHO THANKS TO CHICKENLUMP! Most of the tile errors in the Millenial Fair and the Cathedral have been fixed! There is now a missing tile on Robo's podium in the Gallery, but that's all I could find. *peace sign*

http://www.geocities.com/divinedragoonkain/BetaPatch3.zip

Hopefully everyone's satisfied with some of the changes I've made.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2005, 02:53:28 am »
I can't be bothered to read everyone else's reports.  ;)

Bugs:
* Crono's journal has some of the text from Chrono's mom in it.
* Guards in Leene's Square desynchronize their fighting when you talk to the commander.
* Speaking to the guard to begin the meeting, the text starts with "Marle:", who is nowhere to be seen

Logical Errors:
* The guards practicing is a sound effect on the left side.  Should probably be centered (middle value).
* Why is the "food emporium" selling weapons?
* Ground in front of Ayla's statue is solid.
* Old lady (who sold candy) still comments about the fair and has the same gossip.
* Shouldn't Gato be back at Lucca's home by this point?
* Telepod exhibit?
* The guard at the Porre Inn doesn't do anything when you make him repeat himself.  Maybe he kicks you out?

Issues:
* The Lucca portait looks quite muddled.  I did not know what I was looking at, at first.
* Has the "jewel near the foodstocks" actually been implemented?

I Like:
* The new cathedral
* The new music
* The pickles

Its a good effort so far.

---T.Geiger

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 03:03:54 am »
If anyone downloaded the new Beta patch I posted before now, please re-download it. There was a very fatal error in it.

Geiger wrote:

Bugs:
* Crono's journal has some of the text from Chrono's mom in it.
* Guards in Leene's Square desynchronize their fighting when you talk to the commander.
* Speaking to the guard to begin the meeting, the text starts with "Marle:", who is nowhere to be seen

Logical Errors:
* The guards practicing is a sound effect on the left side. Should probably be centered (middle value).
* Why is the "food emporium" selling weapons?
* Ground in front of Ayla's statue is solid.
* Old lady (who sold candy) still comments about the fair and has the same gossip.
* Shouldn't Gato be back at Lucca's home by this point?
* Telepod exhibit?
* The guard at the Porre Inn doesn't do anything when you make him repeat himself. Maybe he kicks you out?

Issues:
* The Lucca portait looks quite muddled. I did not know what I was looking at, at first.
* Has the "jewel near the foodstocks" actually been implemented?

I Like:
* The new cathedral
* The new music
* The pickles

In the new patch I posted, the journal error is fixed, the guards probably won't ever be... And I fixed Marle, too. Zeality's choice was a bit iffy with that one.

Not quite sure what you mean about centering the sound effect.

The Food Emporium's selling weapons until we make the food shop. She's just a placeholder for now.

I noticed Ayla's statue like that, too. This may have been done by Zeality, since I am sure I made the area clear.

Old lady has new text in my new patch.

Gato's rather attached to his spot in Leene Square. They actually tried to evict him, but sent the offenders to the medical ward in the castle. The kingdom is powerless to move Gato.

Telepod exhibit is fixed, too. =)

Yeah, I noticed that.

Lucca and marle's portraits actually. And probably everyone else's.

I haven't found the jewel yet, haven't bothered looking in the event code.

Also, I'm going to fix the soup drinking sprite Zeality so kindly placed in Crono's room. =)

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 04:39:18 am »
I quite like the few scattered scenes at the end. One question, though, will Glenn's lines be of the old CT style, that is, badly old and cheesy, or are you going to attempt in some measure to make them more serious?

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 06:28:47 am »
That depends on the popular consensus.  I'm of the opinion that he should talk normally, because he does in the cutscenes with Cyrus.

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 12:21:51 pm »
Quote from: DivineDragoonKain

Geiger wrote:

Logical Errors:
* The guards practicing is a sound effect on the left side. Should probably be centered (middle value).

Not quite sure what you mean about centering the sound effect.

Example: If there is an explosion on the left side of the screen, you can have the explosion sound only play in the left speaker.

Playsound -> position

You can adjust the value there so it better corresponds to the on-screen action.  IIRC, 00 is left, FF is right, and in the middle it will play in equal volume on both speakers.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 01:41:04 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
That depends on the popular consensus.  I'm of the opinion that he should talk normally, because he does in the cutscenes with Cyrus.

Well, what I meant was, will he be the cheesy old like in Chrono Trigger, with speech replete with thee, thy, thine, and all things alike, or will you strive for something a little less cheesy, yet more formal sounding. You see, it is this latter that I would vote for, as it might be a middle-ground between the very colloquial child Glenn and the knight Frog. It does not require the absolute use of the old pronouns such as thee and they and like words (only when required by form), but rather operates on more formal styles of syntax, and usage of older forms and archaic words. After all, one needn't use such pronouns to sound archaic or formal. Say, for example, what Glenn says in the cutscene that was made. It makes use of 'yon' and 'thee', but one could just as easily say, let's see (and I'm trying to remember the gist of what he said off the top of my head.) 'Ah, Masamune! Long years did I hold you, and with many grim tasks now come to fulfillment, looked now to secret you away to this resting place in peace. Yet not to be, and no rest yet! Further deeds remain, and the lord and lady of Guardia, my liege-masters, and this holy land, have need of your flawless edge.'
Well, something like that. I'm bloody tired today, and in a better state could have written that better, but it may suffice to exemplify that no old pronouns, nor yet any older words, are needed to make it sound somewhat archaic. The choice of mostly simple words, and the order in which they are arrayed, suffices to bring about such an effect.

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 01:54:05 pm »
That sounds rather nice, actually, if not going a little too far.  :D

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 02:34:37 pm »
Yeah, I originally had Marle take you into the Guardia Kitchen. There was a strange problem with her when the three returned to the throne room, so I replaced her with a soldier. Even then, Marle still wouldn't appear in that room (she'd appear anywhere else, and I had removed all suspicious event code from the throneroom). I thus moved them to the treasury basement.

The jewel was there at one time, but I lost the power tab event I had there. I'm going to play through now.

-Part of Robo's statue appears to be missing a tile.
-Add in a tiny, four cornered splotch of forest underneath the mountain in front of the grassland, just so the Cursed Forest isn't entirely gone (Frog's burrow may need to be there or something). Man, that is shocking to look at, though. Good work with that.
-My stupid event error in the Snail Stop is still playing At the Bottom of Night by default.
-The soldier says powerful artifact "on" the Sun Stone. My bad, make that a hyphen or something.
-If you can, add in a line from Lucca that "he must have called for reinforcements! But they have no idea they're shelling the royal family of Guardia!!" before sharpnel hits the Time Egg. I meant to explain that...
-Okay, not to overload or something, but clean out a part of the factory and just plop the team there. Have Robo come out and say "what are you guys doing here?" And then have Belthasar arrive, and say "Most interesting..." and then cut to the scenes. The Magus scene is interesting. I guess lastly, for every character that has a Name:, they should have {line break}s after each line as per standard RPG dialogue.

To the rom hackers:

-Can the beta change the music played in Porre and Medina on the Overworld, in addition to where it begins playing on the map?

To everyone:

-Anyone recognize the lyrics in the Medina Square?
-What did you think of the Melchior sequence?
-Can you identify the subjects of all the books in the Vanguard Library?

Well, that's that. I need to finalize some music choices so that can be taken care of. We'll shock the world.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 02:39:56 pm »
I made a list but most of mine have been found/have been said to be unimportant but I do think i have a couple really easy ones to fix that I don't think were mentioned...maybe i missed them, sorry if I did.

In the house in truce..I think it's the mayors house where you can learn the simple tutorials for techs and stuff the shelter guy on the first floor says "recover hp and mp.f" i don't think the F should be there.  Also two people on the second floor of the same house have dialogue that is completely wrong.  

I also thought that it probably would not be that hard to cover up the entrance to Heckran's cave on the Medina continent, maybe say there was a landslide.  That's just my opinion though, I thought it would be better than having an entrance you can't enter for some reason

The vocalist's fan at Medina square calls the vocalist a he at one point in his dialogue.

This might be on purpose but the barkeep at Porre's pub is still raving about his jerky...however I noticed that a vanguard soldier still likes it so it's not that big of a deal.

Finally imps at Medina's inn have weird dialogue.

The game is awesome so far guys you did a great job.  Your work is very much appreciated.