Author Topic: Chrono Speedruns  (Read 4688 times)

Redslash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Twitch.tv/Redslash
Chrono Speedruns
« on: February 14, 2016, 10:52:25 pm »
Greetings, Compendium! I notice this topic isn't so much in the realm of the Compendium's efforts (but it could be). My personal view is that speedruns are the logical next step to enjoying this game. I became a fan of CT when I first played it in 1999, but became very deeply involved with it since 2013. On SpeedDemosArchive, Inichi's Chrono Trigger run from 2007 (in 3 hours 51 minutes) is still king. Since then, we have applied discoveries that Inichi himself contributed. The record today stands at 2 hours 29 minutes (2 hours 13 minutes, gametime). I'm interested in answering any questions you may have about this; a submission to SDA is still a ways off.
Anyway! We are holding a Defeat Magus Tournament beginning March 1: http://bombch.us/B3Fs All skill levels welcome. We have 21 entrants so far, many who have not run the game before. Experienced runners are assembling tutorials and the like as this date approaches. I will be live-streaming a "Theory TAS" (Tool-Assisted Speedrun, using emulator tools, but keeping within the limits of human ability), over the next couple days, at http://twitch.tv/redslash
This is not an advertisement, by the way - the recordings will be publicly available after the fact.
Even if you aren't interested in joining the tourney yourself, please consider checking out this event, the first of its kind =)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:37:35 pm by Redslash »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Chrono Speedruns
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:32:07 am »
Sounds awesome. Moved it to the front page.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 12:07:49 pm »
I don't know how to feel about a tournament involving who can beat up my brother the fastest.

Redslash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Twitch.tv/Redslash
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 06:07:11 pm »
Yo, thank you ZeaLitY!

Just a heads-up, the cutoff to enter the tournament is tonight (11:59pm EST). Hopefully that's enough time for anyone still on the fence to take the plunge. Again, if you have any questions, we're quite happy to assist you in the dedicated Discord chat (even technical stuff, like setting up a Twitch stream).

Elgranjerry is putting together the bracket, and he'll announce it tomorrow night. =)

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 04:41:36 am »
Ohhh! Sounds awesome! Drat wish I saw this sooner i'd be up for a speed run!

Redslash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Twitch.tv/Redslash
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 02:15:33 am »
Nice center for ants.

Toby

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 04:08:35 pm »
Nice center for ants.

Random Zoolander for no reason?  :oops:

I loved obviously Obdajr's runs, but my favourite "run" of CT has to be Lorerunner's Chrono stays level 1 TAS/Superplay, with a few other stipulations. It's a fascinating thing to watch and very inspiring in a "anything in life is possible" kinda way.

Any news on CT/CC speedrunning as of late?

Redslash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Twitch.tv/Redslash
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 06:14:54 pm »
Lol yeah, there was spam here of a guy holding a tiny house (real estate?), and because I'm watching this thread I got emails... x)

Lorerunner's cool. He worked hard on that glitchless low-level run, and it's super impressive.

In recent news, my Swiss brother Cronokirby got the first ever 2:49 in our most competitive category (Any%, no Lavos Shell Skip). This is thanks to 3.5 minutes of savings being routed out, which he helped work on, and to top it off his run is Good (no major mistakes). I'm gonna try in the next few weeks to take back my title but it will be a challenge, haha.

Our "Defeat Magus" tournament wrapped up nicely. I got bopped early on by former WR holder Ottavino (who is very active still in the routing scene). Since it was double-elim, I faced him again in the finals, managed to get one win on him, but in the grand finals I got destroyed lol. Big congrats to Ottavino, he's a very consistent player, and that's what's most important in CT.

Cronokirby is planning a 4-team relay race this fall: the "SNES Cult Classics" RPG relay, consisting of Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and Super Mario RPG.

Redslash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Twitch.tv/Redslash
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 06:02:30 am »
Chrono Speedruns... FUNgineer
Just gonna dump some news here, why not.

We have another Defeat Magus Tourney comin' up January-March, sign-ups close Dec 31. Check out https://gand988.github.io/DMT/ for info (presented by our Italian brother Gand). Cronokirby is doing most of the organizing this time. Our Discord chat is open to everyone, whether you wanna speedrun or just talk CT.

I made a "practice hack," found at http://bs1.wikidot.com/hack (unofficial "dump everything" wiki). Has some cool features. Maybe you'd like to check it out and give some feedback? =)

Atm we're screwing around making Discord bots and stuff, it's good fun.

Yo, I am stoked Kajar Labs is back. So much history that I'm glad isn't lost.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 11:51:07 am »
hmm... I was hear that someone take these nds thinks at that monster up... at just 25 fights... ( how many saveīs or loads)
I canīt, i need some more time, but these 6 can take at L1 but it needs at loong training...
(first training travell that Nu copy get good jump at stats, mostly) .

Shortest time get all wins? I own at so bad at over 99 hours, but monster up to L3...