Author Topic: Crono's Bloodline  (Read 7977 times)

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
Re: Crono's Bloodline
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 12:44:43 pm »
There comes a large problem with the theory that Crono is a result of an illegitimate love child with the Queen and Cyrus: Both Crono and Princess Nadia are descendants of the same royal bloodline. Any children that would come from this union would be slightly out of incest, (regardless of intent or not).

I suppose that goes right along with medieval times stereotypes of royals inbreeding though.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 01:06:03 pm »
There comes a large problem with the theory that Crono is a result of an illegitimate love child with the Queen and Cyrus: Both Crono and Princess Nadia are descendants of the same royal bloodline. Any children that would come from this union would be slightly out of incest, (regardless of intent or not).

I suppose that goes right along with medieval times stereotypes of royals inbreeding though.

If it's just Leene who is the common ancestor, then there would be 400 years worth of generations to dilute the blood (around 13, if we consider the numeral designations of the Guardia kings of both eras) enough that it wouldn't matter.

Heck, the probabilities of any incest-related issues are gone as soon as it's between second cousins. Even with first cousins it is a very negligible rise, that the taboo (where it exists) is more social than genetical.

So yeah, no issues there.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 03:12:38 pm »
This is so interesting! Crono would be of royal blood and not even realize it! Hmmmm...  :o

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 03:57:39 pm »

True. Even if it's diluted as AcaciaSgt mentioned, it would still be sort of icky from a story perspective.

I remember when, in the television series Dexter, it was revealed that Deb and Dexter (two siblings) weren't actually related and Deb was adopted. The show then made them a couple and I'm pretty sure 99% of the fans thought it was super weird, especially having known them as siblings for half a dozen seasons.

Regardless, yeah, Cyrus and Leene don't have to have a love child. That was just a plot thread that was considered for the defunct fangame, and even then Crono never factored into the Cyrus bloodline.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 05:14:30 pm »
I only got two seasons into Dexter, and decided to stop after being spoilered to the (rather stupid, in my opinion) ending. But they made Deb and him a couple too?? :o

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 11:30:54 pm »
But they made Deb and him a couple too??

Apparently. I only watched half a season and couldn't get into it. It was a season with John Lithgow (who I love) as the villain.

I heard the first season, maybe two, are tops. And it was a solid downhill slope from there.

But yes, eventually Dexter and Deb got together and it about broke the internet with it's cringe-worthiness. I think they broke them up pretty quickly due to fan backlash.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 11:53:28 pm »
I suppose that's proof the Westermack Effect applies not only to the subjects in question, but also the witnesses.  :lol:

Anyway, hmm, wouldn't know if it would've really been icky story-wise, but well, that's probably because I do think 400 years is way more than enough time to separate relations. I'd think that happens in real life more often that one may think...

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 09:22:52 am »
Completely off topic but will set the record straight, because I actually enjoyed that show. *spoiler alert* lol
Dexter was the adopted son, because Their Dad, Harry, a cop, found him abandoned and surrounded by blood. Deb started having mental health issues and later found out she had latent romantic feeling towards Dexter. Dexter never reciprocated these feeelings though. She dies in the end anyways.

The mixup might be where the actors who played Dex and Deb actually got together in real life and were temporarily married.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 03:11:43 pm »
Dexter was the adopted son, because Their Dad, Harry, a cop, found him abandoned and surrounded by blood. Deb started having mental health issues and later found out she had latent romantic feeling towards Dexter. Dexter never reciprocated these feeelings though. She dies in the end anyways.

The mixup might be where the actors who played Dex and Deb actually got together in real life and were temporarily married.

Setting the record straight! Thanks for keeping me honest. I only saw the season with the Trinity Killer, so my over-encompassing lore is minimal.

Kitt

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Forever Dreaming, my anime cel gallery
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 12:34:15 pm »
OoooohhOOOOOhhhh!!!  More thread necromancy!

I was going to post this in the general chat starting a whole new thread, but thought I'd look to see if there were an existing thread first.  Glad I did.

So, here's what I was going to post on the subject...

Between replaying the game to tighten the canon agreement wherever possible while editing my massive story, and finally grabbing hold of enough of an inspiration to finally write a decent big boss battle (which is why this story has been unfinished for decades) my fanfic mind is pouncing upon and worrying at the least unexplained things in Chrono Trigger like a terrier with a bone.

I do not want to get distracted into writing a shiny 'new' story (which is what Graven is – I was trying to work on Shadows of Schala but Glenn just wouldn't SHUT UP and leave me alone, oh I'm not mad, I like Graven and I love writing Glenn no matter what shape he's in, but I have got to focus or it's going to be another couple of decades before I finish the first Chrono Trigger story I started to write and that just makes me feel like a failure and – yeah.  Glenn, sweetie, please let me focus and oh, no, Cyrus is starting to want fanfic, too! O.O!) so I am going to post the bare bones of the concept here, like I did with the Gurus' Gambit/Norstein Bekkler idea, just to get it out of my mind – for the moment.

And it's just fun to share these off-the-wall story seeds with you to see what you think.

Chrono Trigger – A Point to Ponder – Crono's Ancestry

This theory is admittedly far-fetched, but my hope is it will be deemed 'plausible'.  I read somewhere that Crono's mother is named Gina (or Jina) in the Japanese version of the game, but that even in that version there is no information about Crono's father.

Bear with me here.  It's always bugged me that there is a sprite of a young adult woman near teen-Glenn (as I am currently sporting purple hair at the moment, I do not believe this individual is anyone other than Glenn -- maybe in a bout of hero worship he tried to dye his hair to be more like Cyrus?) in the flashback scene where Cyrus confronts and defeats the Frog King and earns the Hero Medal.  Who is she?  Why is she there?  What is her importance?  Was she part of an adventuring team with Glenn and Cyrus on that part of their quest? What happened to her during the rest of their quest?  Who is SHE?!

Someday I may just get around to writing a fully-developed story, but just suppose she is, er, 'involved' with one of our two Guardian adventurers.  Sure, it could be Glenn, but far more interesting if it were Cyrus.  And, suppose that she had become pregnant just before Cyrus left on his doomed quest.  Pretty easy to see where I'm going with this....

While Leene's children and descendants lead ultimately to Marle's birth, this puzzling, out of place woman, who could have been a girlfriend or newly-wed wife of Cyrus', may have given birth to a child by him after he had died, and whose descendants lead ultimately to Crono's birth.

There's a pleasing narrative symmetry in this notion, and it makes Frog's quip that Crono might one day become a passable swordsman all the more humorous!