Author Topic: 20th Anniversary Update: Phase I  (Read 6297 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
20th Anniversary Update: Phase I
« on: March 02, 2015, 02:45:40 am »
Welcome to the Chrono Trigger 20th Anniversary update! The second phase is coming next weekend, and will feature new remixes, doujins, and modification news. The update headliner is a massive find: more Chrono Trigger alpha screenshots from V-Jump magazine! Thanks to Bouillon Vincent, we now have two amazing pages showing tantalizing unused locations and art mockups, including a Mode 7 overworld and possibly the Robot Village of 2300 A.D.! Check out direct links to the screenshots below. It goes without saying that these are MAXIMUM priority for translation! If anyone can lend a hand and translate these short captions, it'd be a godsend, as we're dealing with a possible treasure trove here.

[TRANSLATION]  It's here! RyogaMasaki has kicked reason to the curb and translated some of the unpointed Chrono Trigger Prerelease dialogue! If you're not in the know, the Chrono Trigger Prerelease contains some Japanese dialogue that dates to even earlier versions of Chrono Trigger's development. The kanji table was changed at some point, meaning this text is garbled. Using process of elimination and some other insights, Ryoga's been able to map the table iterations and knock out a fair share of the interesting stuff! See the original post here (it's mirrored on the Compendium), and for a summary of findings see here[2]  Three new pieces requiring translation have been posted at Material Requiring Translation, including a mention by Tetsuya Nomura and an untranslated Yasunori Mitsuda interview in which he talks about Robo's theme. If anyone can help, click that page and go wild.  [3]  Thanks to lytron, we have two scans of a Radical Dreamers feature in a Satellaview tsushin, probably previewing the game. Check out his post here. I've added the two full-res scans to the Material Requiring Translation page.

[SERIES]  Masato Kato recently released an early sketch of Lucca and one of Marcy from Chrono Cross. Check them out here and here[2]  It's probably old news by now, but Pilotwings Resort's "Plane" theme apparently contains a leitmotif of Guardia Millennial Fair. Listen for yourself here[3]  Mitsuda considered using Kickstarter to release a Chrono Cross album...in 2012, sadly. GameMusic.net interviewed Mitsuda in May 2012, and Mitsuda expressed this after discovering the fundraising site. You can see the Wayback archive of the interview here[4]  I've fixed a broken link to Senshi Banko - Phantasien II, our merchandise listing for a Nobuteru Yuuki artbook containing some Chrono Cross material. We've never seen or scanned this, so it goes without saying that if you have a copy, we'd absolutely love to have some scans to put on the Chrono Cross official art page.  [5]  The Cutting Room Floor found evidence of a cut character named Kukuru in the Chrono Cross Demo; check it out here.

[FEATURES]  CHRONO COMIX has been updated with three old gems. Find it here and be sure not to click this[2]  It's old news, but vivify93 updated the Chrono Cross least characters run about a year ago. Check out the final conclusions here[3]  FlyingOmelette did an investigation into sprites and other inner workings hidden underneath the visible layers of Chrono Trigger's field maps; check it out here[4]  Michael Williams has contributed some additional scans of Chrono Trigger: The Complete Playstation Player's Guide; check them out here.

[FAN ART]  From last year: [ Happy Valentine's Day by fantasyanimeguy ][ Queen Schala Sprites by TheMage ][ Trigger of Life by David Goh ][ Schala and Kid by grey_the_angel ][ Nizbel Leaping by Jenny ][ Gaspar Sprites by TheMage ]  [2]  And be sure to check out the amazing Chrono Cross HD renders of characters modded into Dissidia by 2PlayerWins by grabbing this collection: Link.

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: 20th Anniversary Update: Phase I
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:36:58 am »
Simply marvelous. Don't  forget about the Theatrhythm DLC for chrono trigger. Funny to say i played this on my 3ds to view the dream team ending and yet it's a bit funny.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:41:21 am by Dialga_Palkia »

Fortranm

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:31:24 pm »
I always think the engine of Chrono Trigger is based on Final Fantasy 6.
I guess the mode 7 screenshot is a proof?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 03:48:11 pm »
It's interesting to see Ayla actually wielding a club like her concept art suggests. And I wonder what that blue glowing thing is in the pics with the robots? Looks like some kind of power core...maybe a concept that developed into Mother Brain down the line?