Author Topic: Mistranslations in the article 'Translated Text (CTP)'  (Read 1361 times)

bluesun

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Mistranslations in the article 'Translated Text (CTP)'
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:26:37 pm »
Hi!

I came across this site's wiki from Legends of Localisation, and as a translator myself, couldn't help noticing that there seems to be all sorts of mistranslations scattered about the first page I saw.

I thought I'd tried to fix them up in-place, but it seems there's no way to create an account...

So, I thought I'd make a list and put them here. I also emailed the same list to the address on the Links page.

----------

Section: Dopple-doll Destination

* "Put your dopple-doll in your room, okay?" is mistranslated as "Your dopple-doll has been sent to your room."
'kazatte ne' in the text implies the person being spoken to should take the action, not that the speaker will.

Section: Yakra's Plan

The first line of the last box appears to have been missed. The first line also seems to have acquired a tense in English that seems odd in comparison with the rest of the text.
I would suggest fixing it to the following:

Gyahehehehe......

You've been wonderful hostages.
 I thought I'd use you as my trump card, but now the
 situation has changed due to some extra interference.

It's unfortunate, but I'll have to kill you here.

Whether you consider the second change worth applying is up to you.

Section: Ending Text

* "Will Crono and company be able to get back safely to their own time periods..!?" is mistranslated as "Crono and company are safe, but can everyone get back to their own time periods...!?"
Oddly, in the very next block of text, the translator handles the exact same construction fine, so I don't know how she slipped up here...

* "What lies ahead waiting for them in Magus's castle? Can Crono and company really take down Maou?" is badly mistranslated as "At this point, what in the world can you expect from Magus's castle? Can Crono and company really take down Maou in his own place?"
'in his own place' in the mistranslation here comes from the translator mixing up word boundaries, and confusing 'uchitaosu' (defeat) for 'uchi, taosu' (at home, defeat).

Section: Zeal's Taunt

* "May your regret make you beg me to grant you an instant death......" is mistranslated as "All I ask is that you cry out when I kill you instantly……"
I'm not even sure what went wrong here.

Section: Zenan Bridge

* "If only we could call Bandeau," might be better than "If we're able to call Bandeau,"
Admittedly, there's no translation issue here, but 'If we were able to' is a common Japanese phrasing that's not really used or seen in English.

Section: Medina and Lavos

* "Lucca: We have to look into this." is mistranslated as "Lucca: This is unforgiveable."
'kikizutenaranai' literally means '(I) can't let this go unheeded'. 'This' refers to 'telling us about Lavos', and the wrong translation was chosen.

Section: New Laruba Village & Worship of Strange Stone

* "Laruba people stayed for while, but gone again now, saying they make a new village." is mistranslated as "Laruba people together now, but again some say make new village."
This appears to have been confused due to a number of homophones in the text.
'The Laruba people were together' refers to '...together with us', but the section before the comma is past tense.
'ittedeteitta' doesn't make sense if both of the 'i*' verbs are 'say', and since the first one is clarified as 'say', the second must be 'leave', conjugated to 'left'.
Although, given the interpretation underneath does work on the fact that they have already left and that they're being referred to as a third party, which is the right interpretation, so I'm not sure how this went wrong.

* "I am unsure if this is meant to differentiate the stones mentioned or if it is simply because saying せき (seki) in the context of へんな石 would not be natural."
This is correct, 'hen na seki' would not be natural, due to the addition of the particle 'na', this would be said as 'hen na ishi'.

Section: Debug Message (2)

* "Look forward to the full version to find out what happens beyond here, and take a look at the other world through the left gate." was badly mistranslated as "To play with the items you had before, take a look at the other world beyond the left gate."
I don't even know where to start. 'beyond' was mistranslated as 'before'.
'seiban' here refers to an item sold at retail, and the Japanese term for a full version of a game as opposed to a demo is 'seihinban', 'retail version'.

Section: Debug Message (3)

* "Have a look around and debug some other areas instead......" is mistranslated as "If you're going to be prowling around areas other than here, please try some debugging for us……"

Section: Blackbird Notes

* "Good idea, [pc1]!" is mistranslated as "Even so, [pc1]!"

Section: Magus on the Blackbird

* "I guess even you can be useful sometimes, Dalton......" is mistranslated as "You've almost grown to be useful, Dalton……"

Section: Short Ending Text

* "We will send you the next version soon." is mistranslated as "We will eventually notify you of the next version."

Section: Sewer Entrance Lines

There's no translation error, but eminating should be emanating.

Section: Part-Timer's Puzzle

* "You better run and try and escape as fast as possible, ribbit ribbit." was badly mistranslated as "It depends on if you think it would be best to escape as fast as possible, ribbit ribbit."
The 'to omou shidai desu' here is a set phrase used as a polite way of saying 'to omou joukyou desu'. It doesn't have the same connotations as when used otherwise, but it seems she didn't know that.

----------

...and that's the lot. I hope they help. If there's anything else that happens to be translated by GlitterBerri, I'd be happy to look over it and point out the mistakes.

I've been a fan of Square games for years so if there's anything else that could help, let me know.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Mistranslations in the article 'Translated Text (CTP)'
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:36:59 am »
Thanks a ton. I've got them all added, now (to the spreadsheet as well).