Author Topic: I need a bit of advice  (Read 1121 times)

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« on: July 27, 2005, 08:18:28 am »
So I've gotten the urge for RPGing. Could anyone recommend me of a good PSX RPG, except for Chrono Cross, XenoGears and the three FF's?

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 03:26:23 pm »
Legend Of Legaia was kinda fun, but cliched, and short.

Legend Of Dragoon is pretty good...and LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.  I even GameSharked my characters' stats so I could go through battles faster and not have to take time leveling up...and I STILL never beat it 'cause I just lost patience.  I played what seemed like for EVER and eventually made it out of Disc 1. =P  Quit sometime after that.  Heard it's a great story though.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 03:31:13 pm »
Quote from: Jake-A-Roonie
Legend Of Legaia was kinda fun, but cliched, and short.

Legend Of Dragoon is pretty good...and LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.  I even GameSharked my characters' stats so I could go through battles faster and not have to take time leveling up...and I STILL never beat it 'cause I just lost patience.  I played what seemed like for EVER and eventually made it out of Disc 1. =P  Quit sometime after that.  Heard it's a great story though.

I'll definetly put that into consideration. ^_^

Anything else anyone can recommend?

jotabe1789

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 09:26:22 pm »
Yeah, Legend of Dragoon is a great option ^_^ Great story, plot twists, moving ending. Takes some time to level up: i used an emulator to play it and it is much better; in this game there is a thing that is called "additions", that is a chain of attacks where you have to push the attack button timedly, to successfully complete the combo, for major damage. If you master them, you don't need to level up that much, and to do them well, the emulator savestates are great  :lol:

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 09:46:38 pm »
Just play FFX again.

Daniel Krispin

I need a bit of advice
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 10:57:04 pm »
Quote from: Lordchander
Just play FFX again.

Last I checked, that wasn't exactly PSX.

Zizzlebop

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:27:52 pm »
Suikoden II was reccomended to me when I asked the same question to a friend. It was pretty good.

Eggith Cyrene

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 11:40:40 pm »
Hmmm there are many a rpg's on the psx.

Nothing against Legend of Dragoon i do own it; but that should be considered lower tier heres some non square titles for you

Star Ocean 2
Wild Arms 1 (2 is so so)
Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2 (they are tied in my opinion for 3rd best of all time so these should be a must play good luck finding a coipy for cheap though)
Lunar Silver Star Story
Lunar Eternla Blue Complete -both excellant games with cool sprite graphics and one hell of a localization
Arc the LAd Collection (excellent localizaion and wicked cool storyline will take you a while includes 4 games)

All of these are upper Ecehelon Titles for any system. However with the possibler exception of Star ocean and wild arms finding these titles will be diffucult and Expensive if you resport to ebay. Evey single one is worth its whieght in...... whatever monitary system you care to use.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 02:43:04 am »
Quote from: Daniel

Woops! Sorry Dan! I didnt realise Legend only meant PSX. But still, every1 should play FFX again.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 03:19:12 am »
Thanks. I'll give Suidoken and maybe Wild Arms a try... Maybe I should try Lunar, too...

Quote from: Lordchander
Quote from: Daniel

Woops! Sorry Dan! I didnt realise Legend only meant PSX. But still, every1 should play FFX again.

Don't remind me. I don't have a PS2. Damn you.

~Goes off, filled with enmity and hatred~

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 03:25:45 am »
o well, we're even, i dont have CC, u dont have PS2

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 08:07:34 pm »
Legend of Dragoon was a fine lil RPG. Not amazingly hard in any respect, but there are a few battles you may have to do over/think about a little more than the average battles. But those few boss battles are the exception to the rule. Although, in the beginning, status protection is a must, which I always enjoy...but then it just sorta fades out and isn't really that necessary...But w/e.

Since I've talked to you and you said you don't like FFTactics (:shock:) I won't go there...Or, I guess I sorta just did...w/e.

A good Square RPG is Vagrant Story. Although it's sort of a spin-off of FFTactics...Actually, it's just based in the same world...It's an entirely different game. The battle system is byfar one of the most amazing. Kind of like Parasite Eve, only much, much, MUCH more awesome and amazing. Let me give you a hint to the greatness: you get to target enemies various body parts for various results. It's kind of hard in that you'll spend your time fighting...but I think the battle system speaks for itself...

Speaking of Parasite Eve. It's a good RPG too. Kind of a mixture w/those whakky horror survival games like Resident Evil only RPG'D. You get one character who learns special magical-like abilities and you get to use guns and, if I remember correctly, some melee weapons as well...But you'll probably use guns...Innovative battle system. Fun play all around, but not too difficult.

Oh, yeah, and FFTactics rules! You're nuts! :P

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 05:37:14 am »
Hmm, a question about Parasite Eve. You said it's like SH games... How is it alike to them?

And as for FFT... I don't know, I just coulden't get into the game. Maybe I ought to try again, sometime...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 05:44:00 am »
It's like them in that...uh...damn, have I forgotten? Have I mixed things up in my head? Well, here's what I think I remember...

No overworld map.

Zombie-esk creatures.

The battle system is, while random battles occur, they take place on fields that you can move around in, which changes accuracy of weapons and the like depending on where you are in conjunction to the enemies, but, of course, these fields of battle are limited.

You get to mess around with guns.

You're a cop chick, not quite S.T.A.R.S. or anything, just a regular New York city police officer...who's hot. 8)

Just the basic feeling of the game, it's almost always night and the atmospheric music...I'm sure someone else could explain it better...

Now, I THINK there was herb combinations like RE, but I totally think I'm messing up memories w/that one...I don't remember how to heal anymore in PE...

DAMN MY GAME-TRADING IN BASTARD SYSTEM!!! :cry:

Either way, it's worth checking out...if you know someone who's got it, or if you can find a place that rents PSX games or something, do it that way first, because, well, that's always best...But you'll probably like it...Parasite Eve 2 is a different story from what I've heard though...But maybe you'd like that if you jump into the series with it...who knows?

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
I need a bit of advice
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 05:52:40 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
It's like them in that...uh...damn, have I forgotten? Have I mixed things up in my head? Well, here's what I think I remember...

No overworld map.

Zombie-esk creatures.

The battle system is, while random battles occur, they take place on fields that you can move around in, which changes accuracy of weapons and the like depending on where you are in conjunction to the enemies, but, of course, these fields of battle are limited.

You get to mess around with guns.

You're a cop chick, not quite S.T.A.R.S. or anything, just a regular New York city police officer...who's hot. 8)

Just the basic feeling of the game, it's almost always night and the atmospheric music...I'm sure someone else could explain it better...

Now, I THINK there was herb combinations like RE, but I totally think I'm messing up memories w/that one...I don't remember how to heal anymore in PE...

DAMN MY GAME-TRADING IN BASTARD SYSTEM!!! :cry:

Either way, it's worth checking out...if you know someone who's got it, or if you can find a place that rents PSX games or something, do it that way first, because, well, that's always best...But you'll probably like it...Parasite Eve 2 is a different story from what I've heard though...But maybe you'd like that if you jump into the series with it...who knows?

I just might start off with PE2... We'll see. SE games aren't so much as my type... I have terrible nerves and I'm bad with the controls. So, huh. But hey, anything with RPG elements rocks. What about the story? Is it decent?