Author Topic: Games by CT developers with graphics similar to Chrono Trigger  (Read 2232 times)

Pa

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Games by CT developers with graphics similar to Chrono Trigger
« on: September 26, 2014, 03:05:09 pm »
So, I discovered this game called "Dynami Tracer" that has graphics very very similar to CT.
It turns out the similarity is no accident or plagiarism: 7 people that worked on CT also worked on this game, including the main graphic designer (Masanori Hoshino) and the "Field Graphic" designers Matsuzo Itakura and Shinichiro Hamasaka.

You can check a gameplay video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X940gvaM-6Q

And the sprites here:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/dynamitracer/

I have a somewhat related question.
In CT and in a lot of games some designers are credited for doing the "Field Graphics" of the game.
Anyone know what that means? Is that the overworld graphics? The objects graphics? The backgrounds?
And what about "Map Design"? Is that the layout of the areas?
I'm interested in that because I was trying to find who's the responsible for the CT overworld graphics since I find them very beautiful and I wanted to find more games by whoever that is.

UPDATE (14th October):

So, I was messing around this other game by some Chrono Trigger developers called "Koi wa Balance" and I got a little nice surprise: Gaspar/Hasch, Johnny and a creature that resembles a little a Nu showed up.
So here's some screenshots I took with those guys and some other ones that shows the CT-style graphics:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:00:01 am by Pa »

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
Re: Found a 1996 Square game with very Chrono Trigger-like graphics
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »
Ooo very interesting and I definitely see a Chrono style in the maps and sprites. Map design would be the artists who created the maps or designed the maps and sent the underlings to make it what they want it to be. Field Graphics is very vague- I want to say that has to do with map design as well but I think it might have to do with the graphics here and there - the icon graphics, the menu graphics, etc.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:09:19 pm »
Found the OST on youtube. One track sounds like it was composed by a hiccupping chipmunk
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7brfJc_QbRs[/youtube]

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 06:13:51 pm »
If you're looking for games with art styles similar to Chrono Trigger, check out Black Sigil on the DS. It was modeled after older RPGs like CT and FFVI.

There was something I didn't like about the game though, but I can't remember what. The battle system, maybe?