Author Topic: Why is Gaspar the Guru of Time?  (Read 1981 times)

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Why is Gaspar the Guru of Time?
« on: March 15, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »
I've never really understood the concept of the Guru's in Zeal. Belthasar made the Blackbird and the Ocean Palace, and for some reason that makes him... The Guru of Reason instead of Architecture. Melchior made the Masamune, but never really finished it in the original timeline, and is the Guru of Life... I could sort of understand this one if you consider how he gave "life" to Masa, Mune, and Doreen.

But Gaspar is the most mysterious to me, he was the Guru of Time, yet it didn't seem like the kingdom of Zeal was temporally active in any way. Aside from the Epoch Belthasar was supposedly working on, there was little to no research in Zeal about time travel... So why would he be named the Guru of Time?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Gaspar the Guru of Time?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:42:09 pm »
Actually, Melchior did finished the sword in the original time line, since it was only due to the Prophet that he got imprisoned on Mt. Woe, and thus, didn't finish the sword on time.

Anyway, there probably was research on time, just probably something Gaspar kept to himself, or probably only let it be known to the other Gurus, considering Belthasar's Epoch. Some dialogue in Zeal do implies that Gaspar had been working on the TimeEgg/ChronoTrigger before the end of Zeal happened, so perhaps the general populace only knew vaguely of Gaspar's work, but enough to pinpoint a theme and stuff.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:00:01 pm »
It actually seems strange to me that Gaspar is the Guru of Time rather than Belthasar. If you consider Belthasar's later achievements, the Epoch, Chronopolis, and FATE, it seems it fits him more than Gaspar.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:18:23 pm »
It's because Belthasar's sphere of influence, being Reason, is more about invention and progression. The Epoch may have been based on something theorized by Gaspar, and so Belthasar took it to its logical conclusion, that being a machine able to travel back and forth through time.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 04:42:32 am »
It's because Belthasar's sphere of influence, being Reason, is more about invention and progression. The Epoch may have been based on something theorized by Gaspar, and so Belthasar took it to its logical conclusion, that being a machine able to travel back and forth through time.

I guess that's a good possibility. Still, how ironic that the Guru of Reason is probably the most insane of them all...

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 02:42:23 am »
Belthasar did call himself the prophet of time, though it rings true only because he had both a time machine and an all-knowing supercomputer...

I still like the observation someone made once before: that the guru of time ending up displaced outside of time; the guru of life creating weapons that take life; and the guru of reason going a bit batty.